Draft Profile Jade Gresham

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Found my bandwagon for eight, 11 or 19...

Gresham proves a standout
Gresham logged 14.1 in the beep test, covered 3km in 11min 15 sec and finished in the top 22 per cent of those tested in the agility runs.

He was one of only four players that recorded a perfect 30 out of 30 in the goalkicking test and ranked among the top 20 per cent of players in both the kicking and clean hands tests, with scores of 21 and 26 out of 30 respectively.

The results came on the back of a near-perfect year for Gresham, who captained the Northern Knights, won Vic Metro’s MVP at the AFL Under-18 National Championships, collected the Knights’ best-and-fairest and won the TAC Cup Coaches’ Award while finishing second in the league’s Morrish Medal count.

Gresham’s time to shine
The first-ever indigenous captain of the Northern Knights is following in the footsteps of several prominent figures as he takes his game to another level in 2015.

After a blistering start to the TAC Cup season, in which Gresham is averaging 32 disposals, 5 tackles and one goal per game through seven matches, there’s a high chance he’ll emulate Wirrpanda and Walker by joining the AFL ranks come next year.

It may even be with Walker at Carlton, the team Gresham supports. A talented midfielder/forward who can win the ball on the inside of the contest as well as outside might be just what the Blues need at the moment.

Reminds me of Murphy...

86e5a58ef4.jpg

39 touches and a gutrunning goal from half back.

Leadership is a bonus for our rebuild.

Gresham has flown under the radar somewhat this season. Other guys seemed to have attracted more attention, for lots of reasons other than productivity. Gresham played in a very ordinary Vic Metro team and managed to look the goods. That is impressive. Liam Jones could have looked good playing for Vic Country, the way they moved the ball and won one on one contests.
Similar in the TAC Cup: Gresham didn't have a winning ruck combo to give him a chance of getting the ball, nor a star stacked bunch of team mates. yet he managed to get very impressive stats. The guys can play.

This bloke has one of the best all-round stat lines you'll see coming out of the U18 system for a long time. Never mind his lack of height, check this out:

TAC Cup: 21.1 kicks, 8.4 handballs, 29.5 disposals (around 65-70% efficiency with a contested possession percentage of around 40%), 5.6 marks, 4.9 tackles and over a goal a game coming from 13 games altogether. He was captain of a low-ish standard team this year with little in the way of quality ruckmen and ball-users.

U18 Champs: 1.2 goals, 15.6 kicks, 7.8 handballs, 23.4 disposals (70%+ efficiency playing 30-40% of time up forward, the rest in the guts), 6.2 marks, 5 tackles and 5.2 clearances per game. He won the Vic Metro MVP and captained 2 games, once again from a side lacking in quality distribution and ball-winning skills - he was a real standout.

This goes along with his great on-field leadership and commitment to the team, his turn of pace and acceleration, decent ball-use (although not extremely penetrating), excellent set-shot and scoring efficiency (perfect score in the goal kicking test, only 1 behind in the whole U18 Champs), and terrific attacking and defensive workrates.

I get the reasons why some do not rate him at a genuine 1st round level, however having seen this and watched him play, I am so confident that he will make it at AFL level.

• Banned
And btw, is 'that s**t Macrae' a Kanye reference or do you not like him?
I'd change it and location, but that's been locked for a year now. :drunk:

Jaksch made that comment after Macrae equalled his sixth goal in an U18's game.

"On the bench against Tasmania, as Jackson Macrae kicked his sixth goal, key forward Kristian Jaksch turn to a teammate and says "That s**t Macrae".

Very similar kicking style and running power to Murphy.

Happy to take him with one of our early picks. Seems to have a good inside game too.

• Banned
Very similar kicking style and running power to Murphy.

Happy to take him with one of our early picks. Seems to have a good inside game too.
The goal Gresham kicked running flat chat with someone chasing reminded me of Murphy's snap in 06 that showed he was a gun...

Carlton arguably need to get high production numbers and gutrunning mids ahead of silky flankers or flankers with X factor.

With some of the harder players leaving us inn recent times, I really want a hard mid or 2. But, do they grow on trees? Not around here, they don't!
It is one of the reasons I like Oliver.
However, if that is not on the agenda, then having a guy who runs his guts out and gets plenty of the ball will do.

I don't get the opportunity to get to see much junior footy so rely on the video highlights to assess the kids coming through.

Gee this kid looks the goods though. He just has that real agility which they have to have to transition from playing kids to playing men.

I can see him being a real player and whoever gets him being very pleased. Shame he won't be a Giant!

I don't get the opportunity to get to see much junior footy so rely on the video highlights to assess the kids coming through.

Gee this kid looks the goods though. He just has that real agility which they have to have to transition from playing kids to playing men.

I can see him being a real player and whoever gets him being very pleased. Shame he won't be a Giant!
You'll just have to console yourself with Hopper and Kennedy. o_O:fire:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gresham a potential Boomer recruit
His talent manager at Northern, Peter Kennedy, describes him as a coil. "He goes to ground and bounces straight back up and is able to sidestep people because he's bouncing up while they're running past him," Kennedy said. "He sells the dummy all the time, he gets around guys like you wouldn't believe."

He went to the championships anyway, as part of the Indigenous Flying Boomerangs team, and in a way that made it worse. "I was staying at the same hotel as the Metro boys and seeing all of them every day," he said. "That was pretty tough. But I knew I just had to start trying even harder."

Over summer, Gresham worked some swimming sessions in with his running and football training. His GPS data has always been good and he has been quick since he was a kid, but he knew he needed to start testing better so that he could convince the recruiters he could run for as long as they needed him to.
Gresham a potential Boomer recruit

Yeah, but Gresham isn't tall and doesn't have an "upside"...

Drafting leaders is arguably more important than filling a need for KPP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back