Jed Adcock and Brisbane Lions Part Ways

Remove this Banner Ad

The Adcock-McDonald line has been drawn a few times. As you alluded to, there were more players than just McDonald involved though, so I don't think this is quite the 'crisis' that some people seem to be hoping for.

Reckon that perhaps Adcock hasn't offered the kind of leadership expected of a senior player, let alone that of an ex-captain. So if indeed Adcock regressed in this area, letting him go is no loss.

I must say that there does seem to be a generational disconnect between he and the playing group. Adcock the senior family man is not one of the boys, such as Browny always was. Not saying it is necessary to be one of the boys, but perhaps Jed's not too strong on connection and empathy, or being the kind of leader (captaincy aside) the club feels it needs. So then he is being judged on his playing ability, and going forward we have players coming up to fill his role.

Sad to see him go, but the time has come.

I don't fully understand the point you are making here in response to my (clearly) tongue in cheek joke regarding a Queenslander's "go home" factor. Bushy was a role player, and extremely good at it. Played in the 2s as many role players do towards the end of their career, but you aren't going to retain a dual-premiership player just to keep running around in your reserves side. That really would be ignominious.

I know many of us have this romanticised idea of the game, but in reality, no player should be above a tap on the shoulder if form warrants it. Playing devil's advocate, club administrators are just as fearful a player will give them a tap on the shoulder requesting a trade. Free agency. Modern football. Like it or loathe it, that's what we now follow.

Incidentally, Bushy was my favourite player for many years and, as TheBrownDog can attest from many curtain raisers attended, the one who would garner the most cheers from our area (though Possum did alright).

nigelicious,

Yes I hear what you are saying above and I do realise that your Chermside Bus terminal jibe was a tongue in cheek remark, but seriously a former dual premiership does eventually have to go and he although by helping his bank account by playing at Aspley and added another although NEAFL premiership medal to his collection - He has helped the next lot of Lions players coming through in doing this (i.e.) Jonno Freeman, Harris Andrews and Liam Dawson. Giving back to football which is great. For the record, originally, home for the Bushman was Kilcoy and it all started with the Strathpine Swans.

In regard to the parting of the ways with Jed, being a Co and then Captain of the Lions, for Jed to be told he does not fit into the plans for next year is a bit of a joke - I have been an avid football supporter, watching the Lions at the Gabba for many years and if a player of the calibre of Jed does not fit into next years plans, then there must be some seriously worried senior players at the club waiting for the phone call to come and get the bad news (one big defender especially). - Just shows me that, being a former leader and even playing your heart out and bleeding maroon and gold, means nothing at the club obviously.

Not understanding the feeble reason given into making this decision, I think that there is a much more sinister explanation to this (not that we will probably ever get to know) than the one given as not being guaranteed a game or not fitting the mould for next years side!!!!!!! Who does have any guarantee until the pre-season/lead up games are completed and the form of every player is assessed?

Why are players each year not wanting to stay in Brisbane?

There is something smelling fishy (IMO) here in all of this and it isn't fish!!!!!!!.

nigelicious,

Yes I hear what you are saying above and I do realise that your Chermside Bus terminal jibe was a tongue in cheek remark, but seriously a former dual premiership does eventually have to go and he although by helping his bank account by playing at Aspley and added another although NEAFL premiership medal to his collection - He has helped the next lot of Lions players coming through in doing this (i.e.) Jonno Freeman, Harris Andrews and Liam Dawson. Giving back to football which is great. For the record, originally, home for the Bushman was Kilcoy and it all started with the Strathpine Swans.

In regard to the parting of the ways with Jed, being a Co and then Captain of the Lions, for Jed to be told he does not fit into the plans for next year is a bit of a joke - I have been an avid football supporter, watching the Lions at the Gabba for many years and if a player of the calibre of Jed does not fit into next years plans, then there must be some seriously worried senior players at the club waiting for the phone call to come and get the bad news (one big defender especially). - Just shows me that, being a former leader and even playing your heart out and bleeding maroon and gold, means nothing at the club obviously.

Not understanding the feeble reason given into making this decision, I think that there is a much more sinister explanation to this (not that we will probably ever get to know) than the one given as not being guaranteed a game or not fitting the mould for next years side!!!!!!! Who does have any guarantee until the pre-season/lead up games are completed and the form of every player is assessed?

There is something smelling fishy (IMO) here in all of this and it isn't fish!!!!!!!.

We spend $7 million a year on coaching/support staff and you guys spend $12 million. That plays a part.

nigelicious,

Basically you have named an old player at the club and some young players at the club and implied he's been responsible for their development with no further evidence.

Jed seems to have been well regarded at the club, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Lions fan who watches him every week that thinks he is critical on-field for us now (EDIT- putting aside the symbolism of losing a club stalwart). We vote on the top 5 players of each round, and I suspect he would register minimal if any votes most games.

I like Jed and he seems like a solid guy, and more importantly he's worked hard at the club for a long time, but I think you're making definitive comments based on not a lot of first hand knowledge.

There was a thread early in the year, pre-season I believe in which it was suggested that Jed was not best 22 and would play few games this year. I and many disputed that, noting that we were a young side, he still had a role, and I would be very surprised if he did not play regularly.

I think I particularly noted the value of a player like jed who can reliably be asked to fill a role in the backline and deliver consistently. I stand by all that, but I also can accept that 12 months on, he may not fit.

He has not had the most conistent reliable year. He has hit the scoreboard a bit in recent weeks, but our backline, seems to be settling down with Clarke, Merret, Andrews, all getting good experience, and Rich or Hanley playing off a HBF, paparone learning the role, and a Number of younger players ablet o play through behind the ball. The fact that he has been moved forward suggests that Leppa thought things were covered down back.

From what I read, he asked for the meeting, he got an answer.

Thanks jed, for your service and good luck in the future. I look forward to cheering him off after round 23.

I very much disagree with the notion put forward that Merrett is in a similar situation to Adcock. Based purely on what? Age? Barring some massive off-season maneuvering, Rog is still critical to our structure. It's evident the weeks he is out. Nobody in the backline packs the size (edit: yet) needed to play on the competition's stronger KPFs.

Basically you have named an old player at the club and some young players at the club and implied he's been responsible for their development with no further evidence.

Jed seems to have been well regarded at the club, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Lions fan who watches him every week that thinks he is critical on-field for us now (EDIT- putting aside the symbolism of losing a club stalwart). We vote on the top 5 players of each round, and I suspect he would register minimal if any votes most games.

I like Jed and he seems like a solid guy, and more importantly he's worked hard at the club for a long time, but I think you're making definitive comments based on not a lot of first hand knowledge.

Kevvo

It is well documented that Robert "Bushy" Copeland was an assistant Coach (up until last year) and Captain at Aspley NEAFL Footy Club since his departure at the Lions - This has helped in all of these players mentioned in my post (and many others) in their development I can attest to this first hand. There are other forms and levels of football rather than just the big end of the game.

Jed is a stand up guy and through his well taught leadership qualities, he does not take fools and bullsh-t lightly, I can imagine he was and probably still is a little miffed from things that have happened from years gone by but from my understanding he has never waned from wanting to make the Lions a better side in all of his dealing at the club, (IMO) It will be another embarrassing moment if he moves on to another club, either close by or far away and contributes to them possibly beating the Lions on game day/s - This when so many players have and still want to leave the club and in all of this we have an ex leader who has been shown the door - If it is the case that you are informed and have some first hand knowledge on this, then lets stop the speculation and advise us of the informed reason - This will stop us all from making definitive comments based on not a lot of first hand knowledge - Dean Warren now Jed Adcock not with the Lions next year, as I said earlier there is a bad smell about all of this. Fans and supporters deserve more, it must be hard enough to be at the bottom end of the pack, but showing quality the door does not make any sense to me whatsoever.

Not surprised, would of picked him as well as mcguan to go next season. Very ordinary 2 years. Would not be surprised if he was told he would mainly play reserves next season as a mentor, with reduced contract. Would not of liked this. Would be extremely surprised if anyone picked him up.

Kevvo

It is well documented that Robert "Bushy" Copeland was an assistant Coach (up until last year) and Captain at Aspley NEAFL Footy Club since his departure at the Lions - This has helped in all of these players mentioned in my post (and many others) in their development I can attest to this first hand. There are other forms and levels of football rather than just the big end of the game.

Jed is a stand up guy and through his well taught leadership qualities, he does not take fools and bullsh-t lightly, I can imagine he was and probably still is a little miffed from things that have happened from years gone by but from my understanding he has never waned from wanting to make the Lions a better side in all of his dealing at the club, (IMO) It will be another embarrassing moment if he moves on to another club, either close by or far away and contributes to them possibly beating the Lions on game day/s - This when so many players have and still want to leave the club and in all of this we have an ex leader who has been shown the door - If it is the case that you are informed and have some first hand knowledge on this, then lets stop the speculation and advise us of the informed reason - This will stop us all from making definitive comments based on not a lot of first hand knowledge - Dean Warren now Jed Adcock not with the Lions next year, as I said earlier there is a bad smell about all of this. Fans and supporters deserve more, it must be hard enough to be at the bottom end of the pack, but showing quality the door does not make any sense to me whatsoever.

Sorry, to be clear I wasn't totally sure how Copeland was a key part of a discussion about Jed. Apologies if I've missed an obvious connection.

Dean Warren has made way (most likely) for Craig Lambert, who we've headhunted. Dean seems to have been a well liked guy, but this is very likely to be an upgrade for us and our player welfare.

Also, for what its worth, you came up with a theory that something is clearly fishy and treated that as fact. When you cook up an idea that requires inferences and assumptions, it's you who has to show evidence of it, not anyone else to disprove it. My thinking is: Jed has worked hard at the club for a long time but doesn't hold his place on merit any more (see indicators referred to in my previous post). He asked the club about where things were at and they told him.

His selection next year is not gaurenteed, that is what Swan said. Jeds form this year has not been great, nevertheless this is dissapointing news dor someone who has been a club stalwart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In case you were unaware. In the hours since it was announced Jed Adcock wouldn't get a contract next season he has become a star of the competition. If we want loyalty shown we must first ourselves show loyalty. We should also not complain when young players lose because we are letting Adcock go. I really think I am over the AFL.

Last year we lost Patfull (sorry to bring it up Kezz) and for that pick we got Christensen. Joel would have great for us this year but we will be better off for the trade. I see this as a similar situation though Jed doesn't have the same currency.
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sad to see it end like this. Thanks for the solid contribution Jed. Fingers crossed it doesn't mess with the fabric of the club. Can't take another mass walk out.

Jed may not have been best 22 in the coaching staff's eyes but surely he still can provide depth and leadership to a struggling, young list.

The way we pushed out an ex-captain who was as loyal as anything lwaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If he wasn't top 22 then some players have been hidden from our view or our coaching staff are shite?????

If he wasn't top 22 then some players have been hidden from our view or our coaching staff are shite?????

a) expect some talented draft picks/acquisitions
b) expect some development in our youths
c) expect more from your senior players

A few less injuries wouldn't hurt either.

Isn't Dawson being groomed for that position though?

Each to there own, but I back the coaches 100% to make the right decisions. Just have to trust them to do the right thing in the long run.

Dont know if that was aimed at me, if so fair enough. In previous posts I mentioned I really want Adcock to find another club and have some success and didn't consider saying it again TBH.

I don't mind people agreeing or not agreeing with the decision, or honestly appraising Jed's football abilities in a calm manner.

But the level of outright disrespect shown for a former captain of our Club in this thread by some posters is just shithouse IMHO.
Yeah I agree, but I also think many fans have been frustrated this year with the teams poor performances and Jeds form hasn't been great when as a senior player he needed to step it up and take up some of the slack.

I hope the young blokes don't look at this and think, "Why should I show this club any loyalty when this is how they treat a former captain and 200+ gamer?" We are trying to build a team for the future, clearly, but we are also trying to build a culture and I'm not sure this is the best move for that. Jed has been a great captain through one of the toughest periods the club will ever see. Vossy did a similar thing (apologies if I am missing any differences in the circumstances) with Luke Power and Bradshaw and years later it still doesn't feel right. I would have liked to have seen him get an extension of a year or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back