Jetstar

Remove this Banner Ad

I travel domestically frequently in the US and I'm certain that you can check and pay for checked baggage with most carriers when you online check in. Even if you don't, when was the last time a us internal domestic flight didn't offer to check people's baggage for free because they were "at capacity'?
Shhhhh....
The truth isn’t welcome here.....

I haven’t had them check mine for free before, only the unexpected joy of southwest allowing two bags for free. However, you’re then on southwest.

The general rule i've found for most us carriers is one piece of carry on luggage plus a smaller item (handbag, laptop bag etc) free of charge. Somehow that is interpreted as two carry-on bags.

Jetstar international is awful compared to an airline that does not charge for baggage, food, drink, entertainment, pillows and blankets. I will never fly Jetstar overseas again. Their fares are not cheap when you add in the extras and if you are able to get a sale price on better airlines that provide all the trimmings (and necessities). I imagine if you are city hopping within Australia that Jetstar would be quite bearable, but if you are stuck inside one of their aircraft for 9 - 10 hours, their seats are hard, leg room minimal and you get absolutely nothing free, not even the loan of a blanket or cup of coffee.

First world problems.

Boo hoo.

Some people love to whinge about everything.

Don’t like it, pick an alternative.

Work out your costs and simply does the benefits out weigh the negatives.

Oh boo hoo you didn’t get a blanket.

Oh no somebody didn’t get a cup of coffee for free for a couple of hours.

Make do or don’t go on such airlines.

Then again whinging is free.

I’m with you Morganashlee and you’re right!

If you fail to understand that then you’re hardly fit to judge them. Don’t pay to assign a seat? You’ll get one at check in. No issue there. Carry on is free, checking a bag will cost. Check a bag in on a domestic flight in the US with most carriers and it will cost you $50 per bag at the airport. No provisions to do so prior to travel.
This is such a thorn in my side. I’m trying to move all my s**t back home, I’d love some certainty in advance as to the cost.

It’s ******* bullshit.

Thankfully I have those costs already sorted for my Jetstar flight thanks to them providing the ability to do so when booking.

This is such a thorn in my side. I’m trying to move all my s**t back home, I’d love some certainty in advance as to the cost.

It’s ******* bullshit.

Thankfully I have those costs already sorted for my Jetstar flight thanks to them providing the ability to do so when booking.
Wowee, check out the convenience of Jetstar :p

First world problems.

Boo hoo.

Some people love to whinge about everything.

Don’t like it, pick an alternative.

Work out your costs and simply does the benefits out weigh the negatives.

Oh boo hoo you didn’t get a blanket.

Oh no somebody didn’t get a cup of coffee for free for a couple of hours.

Make do or don’t go on such airlines.

Then again whinging is free.

I’m with you Morganashlee and you’re right!
I was merely making the point that on international routes Jetstar is not often any cheaper than flying with a carrier that provides the full service. Your comment 'don't like it pick an alternative' is precisely what I intend to do. I did specify 9-10 hours rather than 'a couple of hours'. For people without check in baggage or flying short hop domestic routes Jetstar's fares are much more attractive and in the latter case time spent on board is relatively short. I am not prepared to 'make do' on a long haul international flight. If expressing an opinion is 'whinging' then I am guilty as charged.

I was merely making the point that on international routes Jetstar is not often any cheaper than flying with a carrier that provides the full service. Your comment 'don't like it pick an alternative' is precisely what I intend to do. I did specify 9-10 hours rather than 'a couple of hours'. For people without check in baggage or flying short hop domestic routes Jetstar's fares are much more attractive and in the latter case time spent on board is relatively short. I am not prepared to 'make do' on a long haul international flight. If expressing an opinion is 'whinging' then I am guilty as charged.
All good TGG.
Ofcourse your point was well made.
Zero issue with people expressing their views on carriers.

Was referring to serial wingers in general, sometimes people come across as always belly aching about this or that. I imagine it must be very tiresome to live like that. Then again some might love the attention. Who knows.

Back to carriers. Having used many carriers, here and abroad, I’m reasonably lucky at it’s been smooth enough sailing. Lost luggage twice on memory, but it made its way back.

As a rule I know what I get and I’m not as fussed.
I’ve actually been happy with Jetstar and often don’t take the extras.
And sitting still for a few hours doesn’t bother me. If need be I think of horses or football. Usually sports.
Or read a book. On the longer flights a good book. Simple solution for me.
Air Asia is similar no frills, good book.
If the pricing is similar I’ll always take the Australian plane as to safety record.
But I’m ok with most airlines.

Regardless you’re sitting in a metal tube so thats that really.
I actually like planes.

All good TGG.
Ofcourse your point was well made.
Zero issue with people expressing their views on carriers.

Was referring to serial wingers in general, sometimes people come across as always belly aching about this or that. I imagine it must be very tiresome to live like that. Then again some might love the attention. Who knows.

Back to carriers. Having used many carriers, here and abroad, I’m reasonably lucky at it’s been smooth enough sailing. Lost luggage twice on memory, but it made its way back.

As a rule I know what I get and I’m not as fussed.
I’ve actually been happy with Jetstar and often don’t take the extras.
And sitting still for a few hours doesn’t bother me. If need be I think of horses or football. Usually sports.
Or read a book. On the longer flights a good book. Simple solution for me.
Air Asia is similar no frills, good book.
If the pricing is similar I’ll always take the Australian plane as to safety record.
But I’m ok with most airlines.

Regardless you’re sitting in a metal tube so thats that really.
I actually like planes.
I am one of the few people it seems who likes airline food, and I miss this on Jetstar - you can order food, which I did, but it's very basic and doesn't have the entree, dessert, cheese and bickies etc that say Thai Airways provides. I also enjoy a wine with a meal and a few drinks after, particularly on a plane. I like to create the best ambience possible on a long flight.

For an overnight flight, a blanket can be a bit of a necessity, as can be an entertainment system if you can't sleep, with a variety of movies and programs. Jetstar seems to have a very limited selection of movies, though on a day flight I will always pay the extra $10 for a screen. Last time I flew overnight on Jetstar, the entertainment system was complimentary. I begrudged paying $20 for the blanket, blinkers and toiletries. All I needed was the blanket. I overcame this by packing thermal underwear, top and bottom, in my carry on luggage. I always have check in luggage.

Airasia I have used many times flying between Bangkok and Cambodia. They are a bit like buses with very little leg room, but for a one hour flight, who cares! Once again, check in luggage adds considerably to the basic cost, but the fare is still reasonable. I am one of the few people who orders a meal on this short hop flight, but I find Airasia's food quite tasty and reasonably priced. I also had a very good experience with them once flying from Bangkok, where I checked in, then got stuck into a book and forgot that I still had to pass through immigration etc. I arrived at the gate 10 minutes after closing time and expecting to forfeit my ticket. Everyone else had already boarded. Surprisingly I was placed alone on a bus and ferried some distance to the plane with not a word said about my tardiness. I guess they did it to save having to unload my bag, but the politeness and actions of the ground staff left a lasting impression.

I also like planes which is why I like a longer trip to be as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Hence Jetstar's pay for everything approach does not suit my tastes. But for short flights, I would quite happily fly with them.

I am one of the few people it seems who likes airline food, and I miss this on Jetstar - you can order food, which I did, but it's very basic and doesn't have the entree, dessert, cheese and bickies etc that say Thai Airways provides. I also enjoy a wine with a meal and a few drinks after, particularly on a plane. I like to create the best ambience possible on a long flight.

For an overnight flight, a blanket can be a bit of a necessity, as can be an entertainment system if you can't sleep, with a variety of movies and programs. Jetstar seems to have a very limited selection of movies, though on a day flight I will always pay the extra $10 for a screen. Last time I flew overnight on Jetstar, the entertainment system was complimentary. I begrudged paying $20 for the blanket, blinkers and toiletries. All I needed was the blanket. I overcame this by packing thermal underwear, top and bottom, in my carry on luggage. I always have check in luggage.

Airasia I have used many times flying between Bangkok and Cambodia. They are a bit like buses with very little leg room, but for a one hour flight, who cares! Once again, check in luggage adds considerably to the basic cost, but the fare is still reasonable. I am one of the few people who orders a meal on this short hop flight, but I find Airasia's food quite tasty and reasonably priced. I also had a very good experience with them once flying from Bangkok, where I checked in, then got stuck into a book and forgot that I still had to pass through immigration etc. I arrived at the gate 10 minutes after closing time and expecting to forfeit my ticket. Everyone else had already boarded. Surprisingly I was placed alone on a bus and ferried some distance to the plane with not a word said about my tardiness. I guess they did it to save having to unload my bag, but the politeness and actions of the ground staff left a lasting impression.

I also like planes which is why I like a longer trip to be as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Hence Jetstar's pay for everything approach does not suit my tastes. But for short flights, I would quite happily fly with them.
If you wrote that as a travel article, perfect.

You’ve nailed it from a perspective that would appeal to a fact finding type reader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back