Delisted Jonathan Freeman (2013-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

How old is jonno. 20 or 18, read in an article saying he is 20. thought he was 18 or 19

20 would be right. Was drafted as an overager, so 19 at the end of last year.

Contested marking is back Lions fans!

Could be a really scary proposition for opposition defences if we can get him to use a bit more physicality. A couple more years in the system and he will be an absolute monster once he fills out.

Contested marking is back Lions fans!

Could be a really scary proposition for opposition defences if we can get him to use a bit more physicality. A couple more years in the system and he will be an absolute monster once he fills out.

How does he compare size with to the like of Patton etc - I seem to remember someone/some people thinking they were *too* big and would be injury prone is where the query comes from (so I guess I am asking robustness more than size)

There was a decent-sized article in the Australian on him yesterday. Real good to see a second-gamer get that kind of recognition.
Trouble is that rags sells about 100g at best, is only seen in Qantus Club or read by middle aged white fellas who will have no memory of what they read 5 minutes later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Freeman will be a star of the comp but he'll be a very handy player. Get pretty excited thinking of how hard our forwards will be to match up on in years to come. Freeman, McStay, Hammelmann, Close & Andrews. Funny thinking about our position 12 months ago in regards to KPF, now we have plenty. As much as I love Browny I'm glad he's retired and the young kids get a chance to stand up and show what they've got. Better for our development as a team they get exposed to senior footy a lot earlier.

Last edited:
Trouble is that rags sells about 100g at best, is only seen in Qantus Club or read by middle aged white fellas who will have no memory of what they read 5 minutes later.

I'll have you know this middle aged white fella still remembers it at least 24 hours later!

At least, I remember that there was an article. The details are a little fuzzy.

Nooooooooooo! :D. Not read it for years for the very fact it is a parody. Patrick Smith still there?

He is. I hear him on SEN with Kevin Bartlett. Well, I hear he's on then I immediately change the station. Guy seems like a massive tosser and his voice aggravates the deepest crevices of my soul.

How does he compare size with to the like of Patton etc - I seem to remember someone/some people thinking they were *too* big and would be injury prone is where the query comes from (so I guess I am asking robustness more than size)

Yes sometimes bigger guys can have injury issues but so can some smaller guys too (see Menzels). As far as I know he doesn't have a terrible injury history so I think this is a little bit of a case of trying to over-analyse things.

I don't recall smaller players having back stress fractures etc. being taller definitely increases injury chance especially when you get over 2m. The human body has changed too fast over the past 100 years to adapt quick enough.

I think you might be confusing injuries there - stress fractures are generally in the legs and feet, not back, and I can't find any record of AFL players with back stress fractures. Plenty of smalls have stress fractures in general though, including our own Redden (ankle) and Golby (foot).

I believe it is a common problem for tall fast bowlers--Pat Cummins springs to mind--but I understand it's more a result of the particular strains of fast bowling. I don't think you'd put the same load on your back as a footballer, but I'm certainly not an expert. There do seem to be a few high-ish profile back issues among talls and prospects (Hawkins, Peter Wright were the two I could think of) but as far as I know, they aren't stress fractures.

I think you might be confusing injuries there - stress fractures are generally in the legs and feet, not back, and I can't find any record of AFL players with back stress fractures. Plenty of smalls have stress fractures in general though, including our own Redden (ankle) and Golby (foot).
I've had a stress fracture in my back...

Yeah probably put it wrong as I'm not a medical expert. I was referring to the back problems a lot of tall player seem to get and im not sure what it is called. Hawkins, Merrett, Wright etc have back problems.

Frequently it is back related hamstrings which come from a lack of flexibility/mobility and inadequate focus on lower back core strength. Freeman seems to be more agile than most of the brutes that end up getting it as an issue, but anyone can have their back crap out on them at any time - big or small.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back