Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints looking bottom 4 makes it easier to stomach whatever happens here for them
I'm hoping we manage to keep him, blokes with his skillset don't grow on trees.

Be interesting if Dillion keeps to his word with making band 1 harder to trigger though. You'd imagine that the rumoured $1m x 6 years would be in the ballpark.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disagree

McKay is just a lockdown defender

Battle can do that and intercept and distribute

Would compliment what we have

You’re going to be disappointed.

If Battle was any good on the number 1 forward the Saints wouldn’t be wasting their time with Dougal Howard who’s form changes from shit to average week to week. Most clubs would be licking their lips if the 193cm Battle was sent to their best forward.

He’s a 2nd or 3rd tall. Quite a good one as well. But he’s not solving anything for North.

Battle would generally take the 3rd forward each week, with Wilkie and Howard taking the more dangerous forwards.

If you are looking for someone who can lockdown, he's not the guy.
I think the game is moving away from lockdown guys

I’d rather key defenders who can do more than that but actually intercept and distribute like battle, Logue etc

I think the game is moving away from lockdown guys

I’d rather key defenders who can do more than that but actually intercept and distribute like battle, Logue etc
Disagree entirely. The game is going towards the need for a monster lockdown defender as the FFs have gone back to the more traditional taller types in your McKay/King brothers/Hogan.

You put Logue/Battle on McKay and both are going to get killed 1 on 1.

Another option besides Battle whose cheaper would be Adam Tomlinson also who would be 1/4 of the price too

Saints looking bottom 4 makes it easier to stomach whatever happens here for them
Leaving the Saints for North would be like jumping from the fire into the frying pan.

Moreso you need to be more than just a lockdown defender

I think battle provides much more than mckay
Thats all well and nice but Battle isnt that player. How many lockdown defenders also intercept mark the ball? Like say 5-10 and Battle aint one

As others have said, he plays the third tall role and im not sure that is ever gonna be worth 1 mill a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats all well and nice but Battle isnt that player. How many lockdown defenders also intercept mark the ball? Like say 5-10 and Battle aint one

As others have said, he plays the third tall role and im not sure that is ever gonna be worth 1 mill a year.

A players worth isnt determined by where they play or, sometimes, their skill level.

Its determined by the what someone is willing to pay for them and what is needed to get them to move.

From Hawthorns perspective, he is worth a lot. He would free up Sicily/Scrimshaw who can intercept the ball, can chop out forward (where they are still pretty thin for depth and raw with McCabe and Dear still babies) and would be a big upgrade on the serviceable Phillips/Blanck.

He doesnt cost any draft capital and at 25/26 he would be a part of the team that will be expecting to push hard up the ladder next year.

A players worth isnt determined by where they play or, sometimes, their skill level.

Its determined by the what someone is willing to pay for them and what is needed to get them to move.

From Hawthorns perspective, he is worth a lot. He would free up Sicily/Scrimshaw who can intercept the ball, can chop out forward (where they are still pretty thin for depth and raw with McCabe and Dear still babies) and would be a big upgrade on the serviceable Phillips/Blanck.

He doesnt cost any draft capital and at 25/26 he would be a part of the team that will be expecting to push hard up the ladder next year.
Teams who operate this way dont tend to be successful.

You get to a point where Battle is 10th in your best and fairest and the 9 others look at his 1 mill in wages and think "what about me"

Wouldn't mind Josh Battle. Tom McDonald, Adam Tomlinson and Steven May aren't getting any younger. Would slot in nicely down back for us.

He’s a good player but he’s not D1 and likely not D2 so he’s actually competing with Sicily as third interceptor. If we are into him we either think he’s a D2 or are planning for him up forward.

Moreso you need to be more than just a lockdown defender

I think battle provides much more than mckay

He was drafted as a mobile third tall forward who based his game on Jack Gunston. His All Stars game he looked fantastic. Reckon he kicked 3 or 4 goals from memory. He should have been developed as a proper swing man but poor coaching had him never settled in a position, we even sent him to a wing and then barely used him. Pretty much the same as Acres but Blake was ideal for a wing and we made him play HFF/ruck.

Rattan gave Battle that third tall interceptor role and he's excelled at it. Regularly gets midfield numbers playing there but his ceiling is untapped at the moment. He's the type that will embarrass the Saints as he goes somewhere and becomes a star.

He was drafted as a mobile third tall forward who based his game on Jack Gunston. His All Stars game he looked fantastic. Reckon he kicked 3 or 4 goals from memory. He should have been developed as a proper swing man but poor coaching had him never settled in a position, we even sent him to a wing and then barely used him. Pretty much the same as Acres but Blake was ideal for a wing and we made him play HFF/ruck.

Rattan gave Battle that third tall interceptor role and he's excelled at it. Regularly gets midfield numbers playing there but his ceiling is untapped at the moment. He's the type that will embarrass the Saints as he goes somewhere and becomes a star.
Exactly as I see hin too. He is more likely to go to a wing then wrestling at CHB with Oscar Allen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back