lan Callinan leaving?

Remove this Banner Ad

simmo97

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Clarence closes in on Callinan as coach

CLARENCE could sign Adelaide Crows development coach Ian Callinan as early as Thursday when the former Roo flies home to inspect his old stamping ground.

Confirmation yesterday that Callinan’s wife Lauren had secured a job transfer from Adelaide to Hobart added to expectations that Callinan would soon be Clarence’s new coach.

“That was a big part of it,” said Callinan’s former Tasmanian Devils and Clarence teammate Brett Geappen, who is in charge of finding the Roos’ replacement for retired coach Matthew Drury.

The talented former Clarence, Tasmanian Devil, Central Districts and Adelaide onballer/forward will interview with Clarence officials and potentially sign a three-year contract.

“Ian’s coming down here this weekend and we’re catching up with him on Thursday and Friday and hopefully he’ll commit,” Geappen said.

story-fnj4f7h7-1227527401007

“I’ve been in regular contact with him. The first hurdle was his wife securing a transfer.

“That box has been ticked, now it’s up to him to make a decision.”

Hobart City also spoke to Callinan, but the Demons now have their sights set on former Carlton and Brisbane bad boy Brendan Fevola.

MORE: DEMONS LINING UP A SHOT AT FEVOLA

Callinan, 32, who played 32 games for the Crows and kicked 49 goals, will return to Hobart whether or not he takes the Clarence job.

“His wife is pregnant and they’ve been away for a long time so they want to move back to be closer to family and friends,” Geappen said.

“We’ll take him through things and chat to him Thursday and Friday and hopefully he’ll sign on the dotted line.”

Callinan will be Clarence’s guest at the Bill Sorell Lunch at Wrest Point on Friday and TSL grand final between Glenorchy and North Launceston at Blundstone Arena on Saturday.

“Whether he commits this weekend or not he’ll give us a massive indication of his intentions,” Geappen said.

“He also just wants to make a decision so he can plan for the next stage either way.”

Geappen said Callinan was just what Clarence needed.

“Those who know him know he’s very well-respected and very well liked,” he said.

“He’s got a very good footy brain. I haven’t had anything to do with him footy-wise for a long time but he’s been development coach at an AFL side and he’s obviously an outstanding player.

“He’s the sort of guy people will follow and I think he would be a wonderful fit and just what the club needs.

“It might take him a bit of time to find his feet but once he sinks his teeth into it I think he’ll be fantastic.”

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 7527401007

I think that's been the word for a while. First confirmation that I have read/heard.

Leaves the door open for Pods to captain/coach the SANFL team after he is delisted.

I think that's been the word for a while. First confirmation that I have read/heard.

Leaves the door open for Pods to captain/coach the SANFL team after he is delisted.
Yea, it's been known for some time he was looking to move back to Tassie. His wife getting a transfer all but seals the deal. Hopefully Pods decides to stick around in that player/coach role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back