LIES & DENIAL - Industry wide - no sympathy

Remove this Banner Ad

That is an interesting point
Hird was certainly convinced other clubs were ahead of essendon
It would be interesting to know why he thought that
Well how else could they beat Essendon coached by the great James Hird? They must be juicing.

Turns out they were just better.

“As I keep saying to the boys, when we come out of this and we win a Grand Final, they will make a movie and write books about us,” . Brendan Goddard
If they win the grand final next year, I will write that book.

It is almost certain in my mind that the AFL knew exactly what had happened, and that Essendon had violated the WADA code 6 months or more before Vlad tipped of Essendon on the blackest day in Australian sport. The issue is not the tip off, the issue is what happened before.
  1. Who directed Essendon to shut down the program?
  2. How much did they know?
  3. How much did they assist in the cover up?

I think youre giving Vlad too much credit. I agree he knew a long time before 'the blackest day in Australian sport', but it was only after the program was shut down and someone from essendon tipped him off (not someone from ASADA).

asada.jpg

And yeah I absolutely feel sorry for the players.
The players of the 17 other clubs who had to play against these juiced up DRUG CHEATS.

In particular Sam Mitchell and and Trent Cotchin who have missed out on the accolades associated with being Brownlow Medalists, oh and Andrew Carrazzo who had his shoulder destroyed by a player (lonergon??) who magically became a beast over the course of a pre-season

And yeah I absolutely feel sorry for the players.
The players of the 17 other clubs who had to play against these juiced up DRUG CHEATS.

In particular Sam Mitchell and and Trent Cotchin who have missed out on the accolades associated with being Brownlow Medalists, oh and Andrew Carrazzo who had his shoulder destroyed by a player (lonergon??) who magically became a beast over the course of a pre-season
I feel empathetic for the players because they've been through a lot and will continue to go through a lot - but that doesn't change the fact that they deserve their punishment.

Im pretty much over the afl
I'll still watch the saints, but neutral games and footy shows won't be watched
The whole thing was crooked from the get go

The only coin they will get from me is my club membership.
Crooked boys club along with 98% of the media

I feel empathetic for the players because they've been through a lot and will continue to go through a lot - but that doesn't change the fact that they deserve their punishment.

Why? If they hadn't try to avoid punishment for their cheating for so long they wouldn't have been through so much.

The players were victims. They took the word of the club doctor and were let down.

No. That's not how you do it.

The players were victims. If a playing group take the word of their club doctor, that should be a mitigating factor.

That's better!

I'm currently studying under Rohan Connolly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? If they hadn't try to avoid punishment for their cheating for so long they wouldn't have been through so much.
Because they're human - most people make thousands of mistakes on a daily basis. Their mistake was agreeing to a supplement program which they knew was extremely dodgy at best and genuine drug cheating at worst. Regardless its still a mistake - not unlike the thousands of mistakes that each person makes per day. I can both feel Empathy towards them and still believe they deserve everything they get.

If they win the grand final next year, I will write that book.
I'd be concerned that with the current AFL sentiment on this issue that we'll get a statement from them stating "The competition needs a strong Essendon. Therefore it has been decided that they will be playing in the Grand Final regardless of ladder results, and that they should be awarded the win regardless of the result of the game"

I actually was an apologist for the players

but had I known the players repeatedly lied to testers that would never have been the case.

I feel betrayed and duped by a media that is either incompetent or just so fawning it can't do its job.

Either way they led me up the garden path
And many other fans
It's a joke
And still they're unable to face facts

I'm with you; I thought the players had been screwed by Dank and Hird, that they trusted them to do the right thing, and didn't know what was actually going on...

Turns out, that was all bullshit, and the players were as involved in covering it up as anyone.

I still feel sorry for them, but nowhere as much as I did a few days ago; they were active participants in a doping program, so they get what they deserve.

The moment he returned to the club, Hird made it all about himself and whatever he needed to do to appear successful. It's why he juiced when playing. He can't help but not be successful. So when the penny dropped and things began to unravel, he once again went into "do what it takes to protect Hird". Not stand down pending full investigation. Not tell the truth but rather tell outlandish and hilarious lies (remember the spreadsheet hilarity). Not fall on his sword to protect the players, despite bleating that he was all about the players. Hird has and always will be about Hird. Even France was all about James Hird. His family should be given all the empathy but not this man.

Two things that are getting my back up.

1 - The innocence of the players. They failed to provide the information they were required to provide on the test sheets. Does anyone think they weren't coached on this? I can understand players being told not to disclose the program to other players they may know, people in the industry and the like. But what are the chances that every single one of them decided by themselves not to give this information to ASADA?

2 - The idea that two different tribunals coming up with two different decisions from the same information is a 'miscarriage of justice'. Have any of these people claiming this ever followed a court case? Cases move from lower courts to higher courts and the decisions get changed all the time. There is an appeals process in place to facilitate this. Mistakes with evidence happen all the time and are rectified in higher courts.

Because they're human - most people make thousands of mistakes on a daily basis. Their mistake was agreeing to a supplement program which they knew was extremely dodgy at best and genuine drug cheating at worst. Regardless its still a mistake - not unlike the thousands of mistakes that each person makes per day. I can both feel Empathy towards them and still believe they deserve everything they get.
Let's just imagine that cyclists in the Tour de France followed the instructions of their revered coach and team management, took injections and hid the information from the authorities. Would you still feel the same way?

Im pretty much over the afl
I'll still watch the saints, but neutral games and footy shows won't be watched
The whole thing was crooked from the get go

The only coin they will get from me is my club membership.
Crooked boys club along with 98% of the media

My sentiments as well.Except I watch the Eagles..

It was never proven conclusively that they took TB4 without any shadow of a doubt.

Semantics. It was proven to the WADA standard, which is the only standard that is relevant for doping offences. There is no other standard it could be proven to.

"Conclusively" and "without any shadow of a doubt" are phrases without meaning here.

You're no idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back