AFLW Player Lily Postlethwaite (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Den, Lily Postlethwaite

zzqRDGHe.jpg

Lily Postlethwaite: Pick No. 3, 163cm, 29/10/01

• Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy player
  • Queensland Captain at 2019 National Championships
  • 2019 QAFLW Rising Star winner

The Lions have selected Hyundai Help for Kids Academy player Lily Postlethwaite with Pick No. 3 at today’s AFLW Draft in Melbourne.

Postlethwaite, a Moreton Bay junior, captained Queensland team at the 2019 NAB Under 18 AFL Women’s National Championships in June. The same year, she was also named All-Australian, for the second time in her young career.

As an academy player, she had the opportunity to play in two QW Winter Series matches in 2019. The 17-year-old played as either a small midfielder or forward. She held her own amongst AFLW players and proved she is highly skilled, athletic and can break away from congestion with speed and evasion. She also has a long and accurate boot.

Postlethwaite plays for Marcoochydore in the QAFLW competition and in a further show of her talent, she was awarded the 2019 QAFLW Rising Star.

Coach Craig Starcevich said he was proud to welcome an Academy player into the Den.

“Lily’s an Academy player first and foremost with a professional approach to her football,” he said.

“She’s athletic, she’s clean, she’s got a good footy brain and is very skilful by hand and foot.

“She was right at home in our QW Winter Series team, playing against older and bigger bodies.”

Lily Postlethwaite Awarded QAFLW Emma Zielke Medal

Lily-Poss-QAFLW-BF.png

Brisbane Lions’ defender Lily Postlethwaite has been rewarded for her hard work over the AFLW off-season, awarded joint winner of the QAFLW Emma Zielke Medal at the QAFLW Awards on Sunday night.

Just three weeks after sustaining a second heartbreaking ACL injury, Postlethwaite has been recognised for her outstanding QAFLW season, jointly awarded the competition’s Best and Fairest Medal alongside Southport’s Selina Priest.

The 20-year-old had a dominant season for the Maroochydore Roos, where despite only playing 8 of 16 fixtured games, the young defender averaged 27 possessions at 75 percent efficiency and six tackles per match.

Postlethwaite advanced to the lead of the count in Round 13, her last game for the Roos’ before returning to AFLW duties at the Lions.

MicrosoftTeams-image-29-.png

Sitting on 15 votes at the end of Round 13 and four votes ahead of her nearest competitor, Postlethwaite was only caught by Priest in the final round, with the pair forcing a tie and jointly awarded the Best and Fairest honour.

The Emma Zielke medal, named after Brisbane Lions AFLW Premiership Captain Emma Zielke, is Queensland AFL’s highest individual footballing honour.

Brisbane Lions Head Coach Craig Starcevich said that the accolade was a bittersweet achievement for Postlethwaite.

“Pretty much all the way through [AFLW] Season Six, even though Lily was unavailable, she was regularly in our best six or so on the track,” Starcevich said.

“So, it wasn’t a huge surprise to us that she was able to drop back into QAFLW and dominate, but that’s often a mindset thing, not just a physical thing, for our players. You have to go back and develop relationships with new teammates and that can be challenging.

“But Lily is someone who loves the work and loves the challenge. She’s an excellent teammate wherever she goes, whether it’s a State League Club or the Brisbane Lions, she quickly earns the respect of whichever playing group she’s in.

“She had played eight or so games of really high level State League footy which was going to prepare her well for Season 7 of AFLW, so the last thing on our minds was her getting hurt in the first few minutes of her return game.”

It’s Been a Postleth-waite But Lily is Back

lily-postlethwaite.png

A cheery and excited Lily Postlethwaite is as determined as ever to get back to playing consistent AFLW football.

The 21-year-old Sunshine Coast product is returning after back-to-back ACL injuries she sustained in Season Five, 2021 and Season Seven, 2022.

Coming from the field in the second half of the 2021, Round 4 clash against Richmond clutching her left knee, Postlethwaite knew the road back would be difficult.

After over 12 months of rehab and an outstanding 2022 QAFLW season, in which she was awarded the Emma Zielke Medal as best player, Postlethwaite came from the field in the first quarter of the Season Seven, Round 1 match against Fremantle this time holding her right knee.

lily-04.jpg

Fast forward to now, and after a torrid run of injury, Postlethwaite feels as though her body is in a really good place and building nicely toward the 2023 AFLW Season.

“I’ve got two, even, good knees,” Postlethwaite joked.

“I’m in a phase where I’m in the gym a lot, it is that part of my rehab at the moment where I’m doing lots of strength work.

“I am also getting introduced into some drill work, focusing on change of direction and then we will start contact soon.”

It’s this laser focused approach to football and her rehab that has Postlethwaite poised to make an impressive comeback after putting her AFLW career first.

“I’m not working at the moment, ACL rehab is very demanding, especially in the early months,” she said.

“I’m really trying to give all of my time to my rehab and do it the best way I can while still having a balanced life outside of footy.”

Postlethwaite said the thrill of being back with the main group and being able to do what she loves has been a driving force throughout her rehab journey.

“It is really good to be surrounded by this group of people, it makes it so much easier,” she said.

“Bella Smith has been in rehab with me too, so we have each other to bounce thoughts off because we know what each other are going through.

lily-02.JPG

“But having the girls around the place, at Brighton Homes Arena, has been awesome as well.”

“I’m very excited, even a couple of months ago I had my first kick of the footy because I hadn’t been able to do that, and I was like wow this makes me really happy.

“It was so good to just kick the footy again.”

The Brisbane Lions made the move to their new $80 million world-class training and administration centre in Springfield late last year; significantly the first gender-equal facility in Australia, with all facilities provided for the AFL program replicated for the AFLW program, including recovery facilities.

“It has been great to be in this new, incredible facility because after my first knee injury I was always around at the Gabba and I just didn’t have access to what we now have,” Postlethwaite said.

“It’s been fantastic for my different forms of recovery with so many more different facilities to work with.”

lily-03.JPG

Sidelined for last year’s heartbreaking Grand Final loss to Melbourne, Postlethwaite spoke about the different emotions of the day.

“I don’t think I’ve actually cried that much, when we went down on the field after the game, I just saw all the girls and was so upset,” she said.

“Obviously we were all in it together and we all wanted to win, it was so hard seeing all of their faces and knowing that I couldn’t do anything to help. That was really hard.”

Looking toward the 2023 AFLW season, Postlethwaite continues to focus on getting her body right to ensure she can be a force through, hopefully, another successful season.

“I am not sure exactly what round I’ll be back but after I tick all the boxes it’ll be around that 12-month period,” she said.

“With a few players leaving there is always opportunity for new positions but I’ll just have to see when the time comes where I’ll be best suited for the team but as long as I’m playing, I’ll be stoked.”

Young Lion hits track after unlucky year, gun blitzes time trial

UNLUCKY Brisbane midfielder Lily Postlethwaite has slotted back into preseason training seamlessly after returning from her second ACL injury in as many years.

Postlethwaite, who missed all of season six with a knee injury incurred during preseason, suffered the same injury on the opposite knee in her return in round one of season seven.

Throughout the session, in which the Lions did plenty of running, the midfielder moved confidently and appears on track for the season's start.

1503 Days But it Was Worth the Wait For Lily

230364_AFLW_Milestone_Games_Lily_Postlethwaite_25_Article_Header-66-.png

Lily Postlethwaite will pull on a Brisbane Lions jumper for the 25th game, some 1053 days after she was drafted in 2020.

A member of the Lions list for four seasons, Postlethwaite has overcome two serious knee injuries to become a vital player in Brisbane’s forward rotation.

Known for her silky skills and high footy-IQ, Postlethwaite has played in every game this season, something that 12 months was the driving force behind her second ACL comeback.

To think how far I’ve come in 12 months is amazing and I’m super excited for what lies ahead not only this weekend but for the rest of my career,” Postlethwaite said.

“It has been a wild journey since I was drafted but I’m just so excited to be playing in the Grand Final team this weekend.

“To have my 25th game on Grand Final day is really special and we're looking forward to a positive result on Sunday.”

A high pressure, hard working half-forward, Postlethwaite has been ever reliable this season for AFLW senior coach, Craig Starcevich.

A standout game in the QClash against the Gold Coast SUNS, saw Postlethwaite collect 14 disposals and boot two goals in a dominant Lions win.

Postlethwaite will play a key role for the Lions on Sunday against North Melbourne in the decider.

It was great to see Lily Postlethwaite win her first premiership medal. Following multiple knee reconstructions, she has finally found a spot in the forward half this year and has had a clean run, meaning she can add a layer to their structure offensively. It wasn’t her best game today, but 220 metres gained from eight touches is an excellent return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Postlethwaite: This Team is Just So Special

lily.png

Lily Postlethwaite watched from the sidelines as Brisbane celebrated its first AFLW flag in 2021.

She missed out in the preliminary final run of season six. And the Grand Final appearance in season seven.

Two knee reconstructions and untold heartbreak later, and the former top draftee (pick No.3) is finally a premiership player.

"It's pretty crazy, I'm still not sure if it's sunk in, yet. I can't believe I've got a medal. This team is just so special," Postlethwaite told afl.com.au.

"It means everything. To think of everything over the past two years, I wouldn't have thought I'd be here right now. It's so special with this team and this club.

"Watching the '21 premiership, then watching a prelim and a Grand Final, all those three big moments, you want nothing more than to be out there.

"When I was having a dark day during rehab, I reverted back to those moments and thought 'how much do I really want this?' and it helped get me through the other side."

Postlethwaite played all possible games in the truncated 2020 season, and a month of 2021 before rupturing her left ACL in late February.

By August the following year, she was ready for her comeback, but cruelly tore the opposite ACL in round one of season seven.

Another 12 months of rehab followed, and she's now got through the entire 2023 season not just injury-free, but with a medal around her neck.

"It hasn't happened since my draft year, so it feels pretty nice to go into the off-season unscathed," Postlethwaite said.

"Pretty much every teammate has been great, always checking in on me and seeing how I'm going.

"Belle Dawes is one of my best mates, and she's always helped me through it. She actually said we'd win one together, and here we are.

"The medical staff, I can't thank them enough, I honestly wouldn't be back out on the field without them. Craig (Starcevich) and the coaches for believing in me to get back out on the field as well. Family and friends, my partner (Tahj Abberley, who plays in the club's VFL side), just being able to talk to people around me, it all helped."

Foundation Lion, Young Gun Extend

240135_Shannon_Lily_Extension_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions AFLW premiership players Shannon Campbell and Lily Postlethwaite will remain at the Den until at least the end of the 2026 season.

Both players, who played key roles in the Lions 2023 premiership triumph, have inked two-year contract extensions as they prepare to help the Club experience more success.
Postlethwaite, the versatile forward-winger, who dealt with a torrid run of injury has re-committed following a memorably grand final performance.

“I’m really thrilled to be staying here in Brisbane for another three seasons,” Postlethwaite said.

“We have such a strong group of girls both on and off the field and I’m so excited to see where we can get to with this squad.

“For me, to be able to put together a full season last year was awesome. So, I’m super excited to continue to learn and grown coming into the 2024 season. Knowing I’ll be here for a few more years is amazing,”
WGFNMBr23MW8218.jpg

Starcevich said having Campbell and Postlethwaite put pen to paper was a testament to the playing group as whole to be in such a strong position culture wise.

“We as coaching staff try as hard as we can to create a good culture but at the end of the day it is down to the playing group and the leader,” the Lions coach said.

“They have done an incredible job in bringing this group together on the field and off it.

“For Shannon to be extending for seasons 9, 10 and 11 is credit to her professionalism.

“Lily is someone who has endured a lot of injury for somebody so young but for her to preserve and then see her future here at the Club is great for us.”

The Brisbane Lions AFLW side will kick off their premiership defence in the final weeks of August with the AFL confirming the start of the 2024 NAB AFLW Season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back