Lavy_Panther

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2005
Mumbai Dustbowl
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parthiv Patel
Hows the coverage of local footy in your area? Here it leaves alot to be desired. It's not that theres not enough coverage, i just think the quality of coverage is quite sub-standard, in writing form anyway. Anyone heard of the 'bored-er mail'?, quite often the articles just reflect the journo's personal interests, thus making it quite one sided and the facts are constantly distorted to sell papers (how does that work! especially with hard hitting articles by Mick 'Scrum-half' McGlone and Daniel 'Destroyer' Delahunty).

Just interested to know other members thoughts on this, and see if we can establish the best coverage. I heard the Corowa Free Press dominates the Border Mail for quality. Perhaps the chief at the BM should look to blood some youngsters.

Lavy_Panther said:
Hows the coverage of local footy in your area? Here it leaves alot to be desired. It's not that theres not enough coverage, i just think the quality of coverage is quite sub-standard, in writing form anyway. Anyone heard of the 'bored-er mail'?, quite often the articles just reflect the journo's personal interests, thus making it quite one sided and the facts are constantly distorted to sell papers (how does that work! especially with hard hitting articles by Mick 'Scrum-half' McGlone and Daniel 'Destroyer' Delahunty).

Just interested to know other members thoughts on this, and see if we can establish the best coverage. I heard the Corowa Free Press dominates the Border Mail for quality. Perhaps the chief at the BM should look to blood some youngsters.

Having previously lived in the region...and still a daily reader of the BM, this comments deserves no further reply.

Flat Track Bully said:
Having previously lived in the region...and still a daily reader of the BM, this comments deserves no further reply.

You wouldnt have any alliances built up here would ya kingy?

love the name change by the way, but isnt that normally a cricketing term?

Lavy_Panther said:

Mate, you've got no idea what you're on about.

I've moved to the area from Ballarat a couple of years ago and The Border Mail's coverage of local sport, in particular football, is second to none.

No other district leagues in Australia get the quality of coverage that The Border Mail offers.

As for your call on the Free Press in Corowa, you've just embarrassed yourself with that remark.

The Free Press was okay a couple of years ago with its coverage of the Coreen league and Corowa-Rutherglen in the O and M, but it has fallen away dramatically in the past 12 months and if you really think it offers better coverage than The Border Mail you are kidding yourself as it offers quality coverage of 11 football leagues - not just 2 - along with countless other sports.

flagpie said:
Mate, you've got no idea what you're on about.

I've moved to the area from Ballarat a couple of years ago and The Border Mail's coverage of local sport, in particular football, is second to none.

No other district leagues in Australia get the quality of coverage that The Border Mail offers.

As for your call on the Free Press in Corowa, you've just embarrassed yourself with that remark.

The Free Press was okay a couple of years ago with its coverage of the Coreen league and Corowa-Rutherglen in the O and M, but it has fallen away dramatically in the past 12 months and if you really think it offers better coverage than The Border Mail you are kidding yourself as it offers quality coverage of 11 football leagues - not just 2 - along with countless other sports.

Woah woah woah, step back there buddy.

BM coverage second to none? fair enough, fair enough, how was the other 2323290 towns youve lived in? youre quite the globe-trotter!

Being from the Southern Queensland area myself, i feel the BM isnt where it should be in its lifecycle....

Maybe this thread should be a 'non-border mail employee or border mail employee acquaintance' zone, seeing we have so many scribes amongst us.

Lavy_Panther said:
Maybe this thread should be a 'non-border mail employee or border mail employee acquaintance' zone, seeing we have so many scribes amongst us.

Or maybe it should be just be restricted to people who know what they're talking about.

Your threads seem to have a common theme Panther - they're all full of s**t.

flagpie said:
Or maybe it should be just be restricted to people who know what they're talking about.

Your threads seem to have a common theme Panther - they're all full of s**t.

Well what do ya know, the studies were right, primates can spot patterns!

In the words of Johnny Mercer, "I could eat alphabet soup and s**t out a better lyric" (or article in this case)

But look, maybe im being harsh, maybe we can get even MORE opinions from the Border Mail's faithful payroll.

Sounds like a frustated media person himself.

I've seen the Border Mail and I can tell you having spent my life in Gippsland and the Goulburn Valley it's by far and away the best coverage of country footy I've ever seen.

You obviously haven't ever wondered out of your little hole to get with the real world.

I'd love to have a paper like that over here. That's for sure. Craps all over the Shepp News - they don't even watch games - and the Latrobe Valley Express often won't run Traralgon's scores till Thursday paper. And the Traralgon Journal is 12 pages.

I think the Border Mail's sports liftout is bigger than that.

If you complaint is about quality why don't you write it yourself and post in on this site each week than we can all compare - But last time I checked Peter Roebuck, Greg Baum, Les Carlyon and Peter Fitzsimmons were asking a bit too much.

centreman said:
Sounds like a frustated media person himself.

I've seen the Border Mail and I can tell you having spent my life in Gippsland and the Goulburn Valley it's by far and away the best coverage of country footy I've ever seen.

You obviously haven't ever wondered out of your little hole to get with the real world.

I'd love to have a paper like that over here. That's for sure. Craps all over the Shepp News - they don't even watch games - and the Latrobe Valley Express often won't run Traralgon's scores till Thursday paper. And the Traralgon Journal is 12 pages.

I think the Border Mail's sports liftout is bigger than that.

If you complaint is about quality why don't you write it yourself and post in on this site each week than we can all compare - But last time I checked Peter Roebuck, Greg Baum, Les Carlyon and Peter Fitzsimmons were asking a bit too much.

Noone is arguing the quantity...

in my opinion the media batting order is

1) Shepp News
2) Border Mail
3) Geelong Advertiser
4) Ballarat Courier
5) Bendigo Advertiser

must admit, I see the News more than anything being from Barooga.

arceri said:
in my opinion the media batting order is

1) Shepp News
2) Border Mail
3) Geelong Advertiser
4) Ballarat Courier
5) Bendigo Advertiser

must admit, I see the News more than anything being from Barooga.

The Geelong Advertiser's coverage of local footy just goes...if it doesn't wear blue and white hoops, it doesn't get a look in...

apologies to the Latrobe Valley Express

I'm also a huge rap for Weekly Times supplement and Paul Daffy from the Sunday Age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You owe no apologies to the Latrobe Valley Express.
People must realise that the league who get the most coverage O and M and GV are the two best for the same reason.

I wish i could go to a WGLFL match a see more than 150 people there a games which used to get 2000 10 years ago.

Sounds like Lavy Panther wants more from his paper, maybe he should write it himself.

Lavy_Panther said:

Mate, the BMM is by far the best coverage of sport by any paper in country vic by a mile leaves the Shepp News for dead

Most of the provincial papers provide a decent level of coverage. The Shepp News teams and previews on Friday (for GVFL) is probably the best in the state and their Monday liftout isn't too bad.

The Border Mail likewise is good, especially with their level of coverage for the HFL, CDFL and UMFL on Mondays (good to see the district leagues get a guernsey).

The Geelong Addy has the courtesy of giving a page for each league (GFL gets 2) on Mondays and the teams for all three leagues get decent space (though the previews are thin), but is lost amongst the Geelong, the VFL and basketball news.

Warrnambool and Wagga Wagga also fares favourably, but the big disappointment is the up-and-down coverage afforded by the Sunraysia Daily to the SFL and the Millewa League.

Ballarat and Bendigo do alright with their promotion of local leagues, but one paper that deserves recognition is the Pakenham Gazette, with their 16 page liftout for footy and netball in the Ellinbank, WGLFL and MPNFL - a good mix of reviews, previews, results, ladders and gossip.

Must agree there, the Riverland press is pretty decent.

That reminds me - around Adelaide, the three local papers based in the southern area (the Southern Argus, the Mount Barker Courier and ... the other one!) cover the HFL, the SFL and the GSFL better than most leagues anywhere else could ever dream about!

I'd take The Border Mail any day.

If Aussie Rules gets three paragraphs in a Sydney paper it's cause for celebration.

Flat Track Bully said:
The Geelong Advertiser's coverage of local footy just goes...if it doesn't wear blue and white hoops, it doesn't get a look in...

Fair comment... I feel the Geelong Addy journalists don't really know what they are talking about when it comes to local footy. Jay Clark does an alright job but the other guys just struggle. Their previews on the games are just analyses of the previous game eg. a player kicks 4 or 5 goals one week, all of a sudden he is the danger man in the team and a written up superstar. They also like to just repeat names as critical players, names that everyone knows... they need to do more research. Maybe next time they employee a sports journo, they should consider a local who understands and has knowledge on the three leagues.

The radio coverage I reckon is pretty solid. Graham Rawlins and Jack Graspas know what they are talking about but does seem sometims that they are carrying a few others that are involved. Shane McInnes is a great inclusion due to his enthusiasm.

How is Wes Cusworth going in Shep? Does he get on the radio as well as the paper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back