Player Watch Luke Nankervis - Debut!

Do you think the AFC coaches will pick Luke Nankervis in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We do need to give them genuine midfield time once they get there though.

We've managed to do it with Schoenberg. Berry got a bit of it last year. Other than that, we haven't given a new draftee significant midfield time in what feels like years. That will need to change if we're ever going to turn these kids into decent AFL players.

Agreed, the club needs to stop being so conservative with this and throw them in the deep end. Otherwise Berry etc will suddently be 23/24 with not much midfield experience at AFL level.

There's a bit of a buzz around the Nank at the moment
More than a bit of a buzz after today, his progression throughout the year has been pretty amazing considering where he's coming from re his journey to getting drafted to today, hardly the traditional pathway to an AFL list.

More than a bit of a buzz after today, his progression throughout the year has been pretty amazing considering where he's coming from re his journey to getting drafted to today, hardly the traditional pathway to an AFL list.
Agree.

Really staggering to think how far he has come in such a short amount of time.

Was impressive today and long may it continue.

What's his ceiling I wonder?

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should see some AFL time next year, and hopefully more consistent time in the ones in 2024, provided he continues his current trajectory

Early stages, but we look to have done extremely well out of the 2021 crop

is he OOC? Surely they extend him yeah?

*edit - Footywire has him OOC this year. Do PSD selections only get a year?

is he OOC? Surely they extend him yeah?

*edit - Footywire has him OOC this year. Do PSD selections only get a year?
Yeah I'm confused on this one, too. The confusion is probably because a new player into the system hasn't been drafted in the PSD in almost a decade

I'd guess he has a two-year contract, but is this confirmed anywhere?

I really liked the poor kick inside 50 on his left, in the 3rd quarter I think it was.

He was streaming forward, on his left side, kinda looked like he wasn't confident on his left but still gave it a crack.

So many young players smash it on their right boot, checkside style and never develop that skill on the left. It says this is a guy that wants to be better than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with this. Now for Taylor
Taylor is the one I'm slightly concerned about if he isn't given a chance to play AFL this year.

I recall a comment late last year from one of the coaches indicating he was a man in a hurry and wanting some AFL minutes.

If that doesn't occur he could look elsewhere.

Nank the tank! Really hope he gets a taste of AFL soon.

giphy.gif

Taylor is the one I'm slightly concerned about if he isn't given a chance to play AFL this year.

I recall a comment late last year from one of the coaches indicating he was a man in a hurry and wanting some AFL minutes.

I would be a disappointing to lose the classy Taylor through lack of opportunity, he only needs a bit of muscle/body maturity to go way past some of our ageing mids and younger list blocking mids/small fwds.

I know he’s not yet played a game but to play McHenry and a few others in front of him in 2023 would not be a good mid-term list management decision.

My gut feel is that he will be a bit better than Soligo who is already a lock and a good chance for 200+ games. If we are to lose him for one reason or another, then we’d want decent trade value for him that we won’t get unless he can show his talents at AFL level.

I would be a disappointing to lose the classy Taylor through lack of opportunity, he only needs a bit of muscle/body maturity to go way past some of our ageing mids and younger list blocking mids/small fwds.

I know he’s not yet played a game but to play McHenry and a few others in front of him in 2023 would not be a good mid-term list management decision.

My gut feel is that he will be a bit better than Soligo who is already a lock and a good chance for 200+ games. If we are to lose him for one reason or another, then we’d want decent trade value for him that we won’t get unless he can show his talents at AFL level.

A stack of water to flow under the bridge yet, but if these guys deliver on their promise , and stay In the tricolours, Rachele, Soligo, Taylor and Nankervis could end up being one of our best draft results ever.
I know that’s a huge call. But oh well, it’s out there and time will tell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah well reports seem to indicate he came back underdone from the break so he really needs to apply himself better if he wants to get opportunities at the top level especially in the midfield.

I doubt club's would be knocking the door down to poach him just yet given how far he slipped down the draft order, surely that's the only barometer we can go on at this point.

We will be doing VERY well if Taylor is better than Soligo. Hope you are right.

Yeah well reports seem to indicate he came back underdone from the break so he really needs to apply himself better if he wants to get opportunities at the top level especially in the midfield.

I doubt club's would be knocking the door down to poach him just yet given how far he slipped down the draft order, surely that's the only barometer we can go on at this point.
That’s disappointing …. maybe not yet Soligo’s character & determination.

Back