Mark Higgs

Remove this Banner Ad

Darky

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 7, 2000
country Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who was it that bagged Mark Higgs on here a while back? NSW are 4-434 at lunch on the second day, Higgs 152* and Lee 81*, after putting on 147 runs in the first session, Higgs making 90 of them.
With guys like Mail, Haddin, Higgs, Nash and Bracken getting valuable experience, NSW's seconds side will soon be very competitive in the Sheffield Shield even when the Tests players are away. Be afraid, people, be very afraid.
wink.gif

------------------
"Not by speech-making and the decisions of majorities will the questions of the day be settled... but by iron and blood" - Otto von Bismarck 1862

Simon Katich.....228 not out when Western Australia declared at 7/474...pretty impressive.

------------------
I was put on this Earth to complete a certain number of tasks. I am so far behind, I will never die...

Originally posted by Visro:
Simon Katich.....228 not out when Western Australia declared at 7/474...pretty impressive.

Very impressive! Whilst he was disappointing last week in the Merc. Mutual final (I was at the game & had earlier in the week tipped him for a big one!).
I'm with you Darky, looking forward to his call up, which hopefully won't be too far away....

Katich ought to be there. I think Bevan will go as well. I'd like to see Bracken, Brett Lee and McGill get a guernsey too. Can't believe I'm saying this, I really don't like the NSW team, but you've got to acknowledge quality.

BTW, none of you mentioned Klinger. Apparently he's the only guy to be stranded on 99 after a declaration. You have to feel for him. He's very very good and could well be the Next Big Thing.

And for all of you who wondered why Harvey got a One Day slot ahead of Shane Lee, I hope you understand now. They don't call him The Freak for nothing.

Well Blewey finished the day on 115 not out from 152 balls from a score 198/5. His stats for this season are just slightly better than Katich.

Katich 916 runs at 83.2
Blewett 923 runs at 83.9.

Blewey's not out of contention for the Ashes, considering he's toured there before and did quite well. Katich would be favoured though. Maybe one of the boys in India will have a real shocker of a tour and both can make it.

Ian 'freak' Harvey will definately go to England for the one dayers because he's just come off a good english summer. Not too sure what county side he plays for.

Higgs was picked in the Oz team as a replacement spinner for Warne, not for his batting.

What's his bowling figures of late?

Originally posted by Wendy The Pigeon:
Higgs was picked in the Oz team as a replacement spinner for Warne, not for his batting.

What's his bowling figures of late?

His bowling returns have been reasonably economical, but fairly modest as he is not used as often as most all-rounders. Batting in the middle order for NSW (4 or 5), perhaps the Blues pick him as a batting all-rounder which may be why he seems a bit underused as a bowler.
Let's not forget the context of his national selection. The Kenya tournament was a bit of an experiment, hence the results and stats not counting as official ODIs. Higgs, rightly or wrongly, was selected because he can both bat and bowl, and because the selectors saw him as a future player with potential. An experimental tournament is an ideal opportunity to do this. Having said that, I don't necessarily think he was the best option BUT having the foresight to pick a virtual unknown and seeing if they have what it takes, may save the selectors the embarrassment they will face when the Waughs retire and there are no experienced players under 30 to take their spots, leaving two gaping holes in the side. It's all about foresight.

For the record Higgs' recent bowling efforts have been :
0-12 & 2-42
0-29 & 1-26
0-93 & 1-31
DNB & 0-18

Not earth-shattering stuff, but he never got belted around, and there is probably enough to work with as a bolwer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by ant:

Blewey's not out of contention for the Ashes, considering he's toured there before and did quite well. Katich would be favoured though. Maybe one of the boys in India will have a real shocker of a tour and both can make it.

Blewetts had his shot. He won't get another.

------------------
Go to Footy Tips and join the Big Footy tipping competition. For Information on how to join, just ask.

visit the Easts Cricket Club

A must for anybody into statistics - http://cromulent.freehosting.net/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back