Matt Little

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies to anybody who's discussed this in other threads, but I'd like to support a case for drafting Matt Little.
With Johnno gone Little could play the leading forward role as a secondary target to Hall. Little had a shocker in the Willy Prelim but he had a lot of mates and perhaps he might slip under the radar if other teams doubt his ability on a big stage.
I don't think he's a world beater: he's not a high marking forward and he's not likely to be dominant at AFL level as he is at VFL but he doesn't need many shots on goal to be damaging because he's such an accurate kick.

If he is available as a late pick or a mature age rookie I think he'd be well worth the investment.

I'm hoping Grant will play that role to be honest. Although, we could do alot worse than having Little on our list. Honestly though, I'd rather a mature age key position backman as we have very little quality depth there and it could be exposed if (knock on wood) Lake, Tom or Dale get hurt.

It's an interesting topic. I think Matt Little is pretty good player. He's one of those forwards that's not quite the key position guy and not the flanker, well at least at AFL level I suspect. My suspicion is that the jump in class to AFL would be too much for him.

But, having said that he would be worth a shot a club with room on the list. But probably not for us. We have a lot of developing key forwards these days and I think our priority needs to be to find key position backs.

But I hope Matt finds a gig somewhere he works really hard and is very talented. If not I look forward to him playing for Willi again I enjoy watching him play.

Would he improve our forward line pressure? He might kick 2-3 regularly, but how many might go the other way?

agree. he's an honest and clever player but physically he'd have to improve a lot to compete at AFL level. He's only average size so would need a few more strings to his bow.

Apologies to anybody who's discussed this in other threads, but I'd like to support a case for drafting Matt Little.
With Johnno gone Little could play the leading forward role as a secondary target to Hall. Little had a shocker in the Willy Prelim but he had a lot of mates and perhaps he might slip under the radar if other teams doubt his ability on a big stage.
I don't think he's a world beater: he's not a high marking forward and he's not likely to be dominant at AFL level as he is at VFL but he doesn't need many shots on goal to be damaging because he's such an accurate kick.

If he is available as a late pick or a mature age rookie I think he'd be well worth the investment.

I have not seen him play, however looks like you have and I have no reason to doubt your thoughts as highlighted above, so that's a no from me

We probably dont want any dominant non-Dogs forwards lining up at Williamstown anyway. If Little goes to the dons, thats good all round.

This is a response I hear all the time but I'm still far from convinced it's the right approach. IMO there is nothing wrong for players having to earn their spots and competition is as good for player development as is getting opportunities that a young player hasn't really earned.
Most of our young forwards need to come in and play 2nd fiddle to Hall so I can't see that playing alongside of Little is any different.

This is a response I hear all the time but I'm still far from convinced it's the right approach. IMO there is nothing wrong for players having to earn their spots and competition is as good for player development as is getting opportunities that a young player hasn't really earned.
Most of our young forwards need to come in and play 2nd fiddle to Hall so I can't see that playing alongside of Little is any different.

With your Bulldogs hat on, you want them to earn their spot in the AFL side, and if they are at all capable, playing in the Willi seniors will best/fastest prepare them for that, surely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With your Bulldogs hat on, you want them to earn their spot in the AFL side, and if they are at all capable, playing in the Willi seniors will best/fastest prepare them for that, surely?

How does having Little in the side stop that?

We don't have our own VFL side so I'd rather have a strong alignment that rewards good performances either by getting a win on the board or promoting in form and hard working players.

We don't have our own VFL side so I'd rather have a strong alignment that rewards good performances either by getting a win on the board or promoting in form and hard working players.

Little is a FF, Panos is a FF. With Little playing, Panos must either play FF for the willi seconds or on a flank for the seniors. From what I hear he is a one-trick pony, so playing on a flank isnt going to be best for his development.

I agree that waht is best for Williamstown isnt neccessarilly best for the dogs.

Little is a FF, Panos is a FF. With Little playing, Panos must either play FF for the willi seconds or on a flank for the seniors. From what I hear he is a one-trick pony, so playing on a flank isnt going to be best for his development.

I agree that waht is best for Williamstown isnt neccessarilly best for the dogs.

So your wanting top line Williamstown players to make way for Rookie listed players?

Where I don't think your argument stands up is if Little had been moved out of the way for Panos and Panos had done enough for a promotion where exactly would he have been playing for the Bulldogs?
Yes, in a pocket or on a flank alongside of Hall.

Look at Essendon, they can play their players in whatever position suits their development but they are coming from a team that loses and their players just aren't standing up.
IMO, there is more upside for our players being promoted from a strong Williamstown side, albeit sometimes playing out of position, than coming in from an under performing side.
If Panos is the only player that Little is stopping the progress of then I can live with that.

So your wanting top line Williamstown players to make way for Rookie listed players?

Where I don't think your argument stands up is if Little had been moved out of the way for Panos and Panos had done enough for a promotion where exactly would he have been playing for the Bulldogs?

Look at Essendon, they can play their players in whatever position suits their development but they are coming from a team that loses and their players just aren't standing up.
IMO, there is more upside for our players being promoted from a strong Williamstown side, albeit sometimes playing out of position, than coming in from an under performing side.
If Panos is the only player that Little is stopping the progress of then I can live with that.

Hasn't hurt Collingwood's fringe players.

I tend to agree with your arguments OS, if a player is good enough, he will push his way into the side regardless, and in this day & age, players really need to adapt in a variety of positions, i believe kids would develop better having good players around them, rather than being thrown in the deep end and perhaps always having the best defender lining up on him, that could really have a negative effect on players especially early on in the careers.

Look at Grant, a few people were going crazy because he was played all over the shop, rather than what was supposed to be his natural position at FF down at Willy, yet when he earned his place in the side this year, was seen to be more than a one trick FF pony, you could pretty much play him anywhere in the forward line, deep, a Murphy role upfield, he could even have a run on a wing.

Similar to when we had Pods playing at Werribee, and the likes of Skipper, Tiller, McDougall, Baird, Wells etc etc having to earn their place rather than getting a free ride, those players at the end of the day were simply not good enough anyway, and if they were, they would have learnt from Pods or Little and adapted.

It didn't, but they also had quite alot of quality experienced players to learn from, Fraser, Lockyer, Medhurst, O'Bree to name a few who seemingly had no longterm future at the club, and in many ways, could have been taking spots from the kids down in the Collingwood VFL side.

You have clearly missed the point so I will try and make it a bit clearer.

Despite Essendon having the ability to play their players anywhere it hasn't helped them. Collingwood on the other hand had plenty of competition just to get a senior spot and thrived.

In the main competition to earn your spot is very good for a club.

You have clearly missed the point so I will try and make it a bit clearer.

Despite Essendon having the ability to play their players anywhere it hasn't helped them. Collingwood on the other hand had plenty of competition just to get a senior spot and thrived.

In the main competition to earn your spot is very good for a club.

This has more to do with the quality of the kids they have drafted IMO. And I get your point, I just don't agree.

This has more to do with the quality of the kids they have drafted IMO. And I get your point, I just don't agree.

So what don't you agree with?
Surely you don't think a weak Williamstown list strengthens the Bulldogs playing list?

So what don't you agree with?
Surely you don't think a weak Williamstown list strengthens the Bulldogs playing list?
It would be insane to think that. Our younger blokes have developed well partially due to the older Willi blokes such as Jolley and Johnson.

Possibly. Obviously Little isnt going to be bumped for Panos at this stage, but if Little went to the Dons, Panos would pretty much be playing FF for the seniors all year, do you think?

I doubt Panos is going to play in the same side as Hall.

Possibly. Obviously Little isnt going to be bumped for Panos at this stage, but if Little went to the Dons, Panos would pretty much be playing FF for the seniors all year, do you think?

I doubt Panos is going to play in the same side as Hall.
Perhaps - if:

a. Willy don't draft a replacement
b. Cordy doesn't find himself the key forward rotating through FF/CHF in 2011, training in the no 2 ruck role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back