Matthew Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's Shazza thread but the Swans 1st pick is needed for Callum Mills. No chance they trade it. Perhaps they could acquire another somewhere.

The Shazza deal, is really at a strange point. Not sure what to think. If he does bail, I wil be disappointed but could live with pick 11 or 12, likely to be moved back due to academy picks.
Pick 11/12 then moved back further in a weak draft would not satisfy me nor I hope the club. I would rather keep him.

Pick 11/12 then moved back further in a weak draft would not satisfy me nor I hope the club. I would rather keep him.

I think the club prefer to keep him but if terms can't be reached a late first round pick will probably do it. We are going to need to give GWS two first round picks for Treloar.

We didn't get 2 first round picks for Beams. What's the difference with the Treloar trade?

We effectively received three players for Beams. To get Treloar we are going to need to part with our first round pick plus a player or pick.

We didn't get 2 first round picks for Beams. What's the difference with the Treloar trade?

Yeah Im not sure either.

Considering in this instance we are probably in a better bargaining position too with Treloar being un contracted and Beams was contracted.

I've said this before but I think the Beams trade sets a good precedent for this one. A 1st, 2nd and fringe should be enough here too.

all the rookie kids we played this year showed a glimpse of their skills or weapons. some Moore ;) than others but I didn't really get anything from Sharenberg. he was very vanilla.

I think people who have watched a bit of him at VFL level have to a man (or woman) identified that he has an amazing capacity to find time and space in congestion. It's been the really obvious strength to date, along with his marking. Not fussed that he hasn't as yet been able to deliver that at senior level. Think it will come just as I think other aspects of his game will emerge. Full pre-season will do him the world of good.

As others have indicated, our other debutants have all shown a bit at times but equally they've all had their fair share of face palm moments and they were all coming into the senior side with a much stronger base than Shaz.

Given the cap is roughly 10m for about 40 players (give or take rookie salaries... Im not sure how they fit) thats an average salary of 250k. Is Sharenburg worth 400k/yr? If another club offers him that, do we really want to match that, or would we rather try to arrange a trade? Im not convinced either way - and will leave that to the club to decide.

I'm not fussed about a reported $400k salary but if he's been offered that by another club that has to be the starting point. Yes it's overs but I'd imagine players like Langdon and Williams and Frost would all be on something in the $300k range. Yes, I know they've got more runs on the board. The onus is on the club to determine how close to that figure they're prepared to go and on Scharenberg to determine how far under he's prepared to accept. Hopefully they find a middle ground both parties can live with.

A forum search shows that you have used it twice, including your post above, where you quoted but did not actually use the word. So you have actually used it once, which I don't think is sufficient to be accused of having rather a 'liking' for the word.

I like the word and I don't think I've ever used it on BF, but then again my memory is pretty shagged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expect scharenberg to be resigned before next Friday or he will be gone, most likely adelaide

Is that resigned or re-signed?

Long time reader, first time poster.

Not sure if it has been mentioned previously but heard yesterday Scharenberg was frustrated with Bucks and was not happy with the amount of time he was in vfl. Apparently Scharenberg thought he was doing enough and should have been called up to the seniors much sooner and more regularly...

Not sure how true that is but wondered if anyone had heard this?

Sounds more like the Karnezis rumours.

You do realize Boyd has been the most disappointing pick 1 in the history of the AFL yeah?

The same Boyd that was taken not even two years ago? Interesting call..

Back on Scharenberg: No idea if he'll stay or not, but I imagine we'd be looking at the Dangerfield compo in exchange

You do realize Boyd has been the most disappointing pick 1 in the history of the AFL yeah?

Have you had a look at the Carlton and Melbourne lists...

And for some reason Richmond comes to mind...

Sorry to dent your ideas Ed but with PD its never been a case of "landing him"....he's been in control of what he's doing all along. Clubs making out they "could land him" don't know the lad. He's not making the move for anything other than lifestyle for him and his family. So landing him with $$$ was never an option, he's had what he considers more than enough $$$ since he was drafted. Myself I've just been in awe of how he's been able to focus as well as he has throughout the year with constant trade talk and media hype, his coach being killed, being the premier player at his club but being overlooked for the captaincy (looks a smart move now!)...and yet he's nearly a Brownlow favourite and playing finals again. For mine I'm just going to enjoy watching PD play wherever it is (cough cough...cats) because he's just a great kid and a great footballer.
Sounds like inside knowledge

Schaz has quantum leaps of development still in him, little doubt on that, sure the club will get it sorted.
The longer it goes on the worse it looks of course but, there will be a final offer moment at some point.

Ed said last thursday that the sharanberg deal will be soughted in a couple of week last thursdsay.
Its been less then a week; dont be so paranoid guys

I think people who have watched a bit of him at VFL level have to a man (or woman) identified that he has an amazing capacity to find time and space in congestion. It's been the really obvious strength to date, along with his marking. Not fussed that he hasn't as yet been able to deliver that at senior level. Think it will come just as I think other aspects of his game will emerge. Full pre-season will do him the world of good.

As others have indicated, our other debutants have all shown a bit at times but equally they've all had their fair share of face palm moments and they were all coming into the senior side with a much stronger base than Shaz.
I haven't and I have seen a lot of his VFL games. I would characterise them as very similar to his AFL games. Accumulates possessions well but plays very safe non contested footy. Rarely takes the game on and attacks, poor defensively allowing his opponents plenty of latitude. Good in the air, which is where he takes the game on most. Most possies are obtained within chains of play rather than contested possession and tends to small sideways safe disposals.

In short a player down on fitness and confidence which is not a surprise given what he has come back from. Club has clear faith by giving him senior games when he didn't show much at VFL. Perhaps the best part for Shaz is he transitioned to AFL pace immediately and played the same game with similar numbers at both levels.

I don't believe we have yet seen anything much of the ability that made him such a highly touted junior at either AFL or VFL level. Biggest question that is yet to be answered is how much of that is lost and how much is hidden awaiting a full pre season and confidence return. That's the $64 dollar question and it is the reason we wouldn't get anywhere near pick 6 for him on the market. He is a significantly unknown quantity now. Still one we best hold onto if he wants to stay because it's worth the risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back