Matty Robbins?

Remove this Banner Ad

dogboy23

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Did Matty Robbins play at geelong on saturday?Im interested after reading somewhere the other day that Wallace has asked him to fill a midfield role this year.I think he could be the impact player we have been looking for in the midfield especially with his hard approach and break away pace.His disposal is lacking a bit but it has improved.I would be dissapointed if he played on saturday and failed to step up in the absence of the other senior players.

Did Matty Robbins play at geelong on saturday?Im interested after reading somewhere the other day that Wallace has asked him to fill a midfield role this year.I think he could be the impact player we have been looking for in the midfield especially with his hard approach and break away pace.His disposal is lacking a bit but it has improved.I would be dissapointed if he played on saturday and failed to step up in the absence of the other senior players.

Dogboy I believe he is a very good kick of the footy, his decision making when disposing of the footy lets him down. This may come down to him being an athlete at a young age who converted to footy!
I agree that he could become that hard type player we have been looking for to play in the midfield.

Robbo has impressed me a lot from the games I have seen him play in '02. Admittedly they were just WizCups at colonial, but he seems to have grown in confidence. Last year, whenever he got the ball, he would be instantly looking for the easy option to offload it, rather than trust himself to an attacking or penetrating move. If he is over that lack of self-confidence, he will be a player. Ive never seen anyone so short able to mix it with taller players in the air, and he is hard at it and bloody fast.

Originally posted by dogboy23

I didn't make it Saturday so I can't comment on how he played, but he was listed as a goal kicker.

Wallace obviously likes the idea of a small forward who marks better than their height suggests they should - eg. Johnson, Brown, Smith. Robbins fits into this category because he is very strong in the upper body. I can see Robbins joining this rotation between the wing and forward pocket.

As a back pocket player he seems not to respect his man enough and gives him a lot of room. Maybe its part of the game plan
Its a shame cos does all the 1%ers really well. Smothering, tackling, shepharding,etc.

I'm really happy he has improved over the past 2 years, he pace is a valuable asset.
Needs consistency now.

Forgot to mention Robbo in my summary. He did play in the midfield from memory. He got it a fair bit but disposal did let him down at times..like when he ran in to goal from 10m out and missed :rolleyes: (ps this is coming from the person who kicked 3 goals in a row from the right point post after the game :D )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back