Cryptozoology Megalodon

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last edited:
I think it's unlikely something so big and aggressive would be able to keep a low enough profile to stay undetected. Agree about the crypto tag. :thumbsu:

Yeah, sad to say I can't see there being 60ft sharks swimming about, no matter how awesome it would be.

The Earths oceans are the most undiscovered part of the planet ever. Who knows what is down there and massive Squids are also prominent when talking about what could be down there in those depths.

I wouldn't deny anything that could be said to be still " down there " as who really knows and the oceans are way to vast and largely unexplored.

The Earths oceans are the most undiscovered part of the planet ever. Who knows what is down there and massive Squids are also prominent when talking about what could be down there in those depths.

I wouldn't deny anything that could be said to be still " down there " as who really knows and the oceans are way to vast and largely unexplored.

Problem is, from the fossil record Megalodon lived in coastal environments that would be bringing it into close contact with humans, rather than the depths of the ocean. It also hunted whales, if whales were being attacked it would probably be noticed pretty quickly.

Agree there could be just about anything living in the depths of the ocean though, there are amazing things being discovered every year.

I agree with Chism that there's all kinds of wacky and wonderful things living down there.

Unfortunately I don't think a breeding population of whale eating 60ft sharks is one of them.

I agree with Chism that there's all kinds of wacky and wonderful things living down there.

Unfortunately I don't think a breeding population of whale eating 60ft sharks is one of them.
the most found new species on earth in the last 10 years has been from the ocean
coelacanth found less than 30 years ago thought to be extinct
european sailors in asia 120 years ago descibed a land eating dragon {komodo}
desciptions of giant squid ppffffft[since found]

I think it's unlikely something so big and aggressive would be able to keep a low enough profile to stay undetected. Agree about the crypto tag. :thumbsu:

It's easy enough to stay undetected if you hang out in deeper water. Chism mentioned giant squid;

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com.au/animals/invertebrates/giant-squid/

The giant squid remains largely a mystery to scientists despite being the biggest invertebrate on Earth. The largest of these elusive giants ever found measured 59 feet (18 meters) in length and weighed nearly a ton (900 kilograms).

However, their inhospitable deep-sea habitat has made them uniquely difficult to study, and almost everything scientists know about them is from carcasses that have washed up on beaches or been hauled in by fishermen. Lately, however, the fortunes of scientists studying these elusive creatures have begun to turn.

In 2004 researchers in Japan took the first images ever of a live giant squid. And in late 2006, scientists with Japan's National Science Museum caught and brought to the surface a live 24-foot (7-meter) female giant squid...

First ever live image in 2004? What else is down there?

Are there survivors of the biggest shark that ever lived?

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/videos/whale-attacked-by-megalodon.htm

Oh and grizzlym you should create a type of "Cryptozoology" tag

I'm big on this kind of stuff.

(And yes, I'm aware this from the Discovery channel thing)

No there are not. They went extinct at least 2 million years ago.

Just a minor tip as well. It is forbidden to use the species name alone in science. Which means you can't throw around "megalodon". The proper name is Carcharocles megalodon. You could call the episode "Carcharocles" which is fine, but not quite as catchy. However, by using the title "Megalodon", they are in fact describing an extinct giant clam. Which isn't quite as terrifying.

the most found new species on earth in the last 10 years has been from the ocean
coelacanth found less than 30 years ago thought to be extinct
european sailors in asia 120 years ago descibed a land eating dragon {komodo}
desciptions of giant squid ppffffft[since found]

Further back than that. The coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae) was first found in 1938 off the coast of South Africa. Since then after finding many more specimens, they've found another species in the very deep waters off Indonesia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy enough to stay undetected if you hang out in deeper water. Chism mentioned giant squid;

First ever live image in 2004? What else is down there?

Agree, but as I said in the other post this wasn't a deep water species. I guess there's a slight chance they adapted to live in the deep but it's pretty unlikely, and the evidence isn't too compelling of it existing. No doubt there are creatures weirder than Megalodon living in the depths.

Remember all of the fish the Bali tsunami washed up :confused:

Just gives me more reason not to swim in the ocean. I couldn't see this animal still being alive. The "Whale researchers" would know about by now :thumbsu:

Remember all of the fish the Bali tsunami washed up :confused:

Just gives me more reason not to swim in the ocean. I couldn't see this animal still being alive. The "Whale researchers" would know about by now :thumbsu:

The photos of the tsunami fish were a hoax, or at least they weren't washed up on the beach, a tsunami doesn't pull water up from the deep like that. The creatures in the photos were real though, caught by scientists. Some bizarre things down there.

Family friend of mine that spent a lot of time on the ocean working, has some pretty epic stories involving large great whites.

Cray pots eaten, turtles and sea-lions bitten in half... Sharks that can't be caught even with the biggest gear. Apparently whites can grow up to 7 meters... He said he's seen bigger.

Water makes objects appear bigger so who knows? They definitely could be out there though. Two thirds of the planet is water so it's very plausible.

If you research there's been lots of sightings of Megladons throughout history.

I love the topic of Megalodon. I made a youtube video about them a few years ago.

You never know what could be swimming around in the deeper waters.

We haven't explored all of the ocean floor. Tbh no one knows what's down there

Yep it's said we've only explored from less than 10% of the ocean.

When you consider that there are mountains in it that are higher than mount Everest, you have to wonder what we haven't seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back