Delisted Michael Close (2012-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Spud one week saviour the next. He had a much better game but I think we might be getting a tad ahead of ourselves. Good signs no doubt let's not get too carried away and expect too much from him. He's played less than ten games

Spud one week saviour the next. He had a much better game but I think we might be getting a tad ahead of ourselves. Good signs no doubt let's not get too carried away and expect too much from him. He's played less than ten games

Bit harsh. You cant compare him to Brown. He went from a 5 goal first season to a 38 goal next. But as we know, he was what he was. Close is a work in progress who now has to compete in a forward line without Brown.

Bit harsh. You cant compare him to Brown. He went from a 5 goal first season to a 38 goal next. But as we know, he was what he was. Close is a work in progress who now has to compete in a forward line without Brown.

I wasn't calling him that I was outlining what a fair few (including those praising him now) were saying about him in a fair few games this season. I'm just advocating a bit of middle ground when it comes to close. He'll be inconsistent week to week but there are encouraging glimpses. Still saying he'll anchor our fwd line may be a tad premature but I certainly hope they're right

He will improve a lot over the 2nd half of the year with no Brown in the team. He will have more ball coming his way, and more chances to learn and improve. He isn't going to set the world on fire, he is only a 2nd year KPF and he really needs to bulk up a bit to hold his ground a bit more. However, you look for the early signs. The way he competes, where he is running to. He could have taken another 4 or so marks on the weekend that he dropped or just didn't have enough strength to hold out long enough. He will have some shocking games where our midfield gets thumped and he can barely get near it.

Overall, he will be much better for the experience.

Player A - 3 games; 10 kicks / 3 marks / 9 handballs / 2 tackles / 0 goals, 3 behinds

Player B - 7 games; 20 kicks / 15 marks / 19 handballs / 27 tackles / 5 goals, 0 behinds

Player A is Daniel Bradshaw. Started slow, but he turned out alright. Kicked nearly 500 goals for the Lions after a goalless first year. Then went to the Swans and... well I don't care what he did for them. Oh and he's 50th all time in AFL goalkicking.

Player B is Close. I know Browny was a legend and all, and before that we were blessed with Lynch and Braddy, but lets give the kid a chance to build into it.

(Also, Jack Darling was hailed as being a gun defensive fwd his first year, right now Close is tackling and kicking snags at a similar rate as he did in year 1, and he doesn't have LeCras and Kennedy as decoys to spread defenders.)

The difference in perception isn't so large either. Right now he's getting 1-2 goals per week in games where we aren't completely outclassed. Us being competitive in more games, resulting in a few more decent delveries per week and he would be a good chance to lift 2-3 goals per game (noting all forwards have absent games). You're then a 40-60 goal per year forward.

There is still lots of room for improvement, but I'm enamored with his tackling, attitude and straight kicking when he gets the chance (5 straight).

He is converting his limited opportunities. Has good pressure for his size, and good endurance base. Can clunk a good mark as well. Has got a few marks inside 50 from being hit up on a nice little lead. Just needs to play with the mids more, get use to them and keep improving his positioning and running patterns. Bulk up a bit over the next few years and he will impose himself on games more.

Each week I am getting more and more confident Close will be a 10+ year key forward for us. He might never be as good as Brown, Lynch or Bradshaw but will make our forward line function a lot better. And hopefully allow us to score over 100 points in a game in the near future.

3 good marks inside 50 in a short space of time, which on another night could have been 3 goals. Was a bit of a non-entity in the second half, but I think he has all the tools, and he isn't far putting it all together for a game. I think he is tracking ahead of schedule to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's tracking well for a breakout next year IMO. Will benefit more than anyone from having Richy back too.

The only issue is he may be on their number 1 defender which will make things tough.

Yep, great signs from the 19 year old. Looking forward to him slowly building his consistency and physicality over the next few years.

Loved his attack on one of the contests in the second, I think it was for his second or third shot on goal. Wasn't first to the ball and didn't have the best position but came through like a freight train and took the mark. Think Ash was feeling it for a while afterwards.

I think there are a couple of things he really needs to work on:

1. getting stronger so he doesn't get pushed out of the way so easily in contested possession situations
2. leading up the ground more

He has got a lot of potential, but I don't think we should be playing him as second ruck - he is not suited to it.

He's tracking well for a breakout next year IMO. Will benefit more than anyone from having Richy back too.
You can see him getting better each year but likely it will be two or three years before he is strong enough to outmuscle the top key defenders.

You can see him getting better each year but likely it will be two or three years before he is strong enough to outmuscle the top key defenders.

Potentially, but Cameron was able to have a breakout year for GWS last year without that strength - I don't think it's beyond him.

Potentially, but Cameron was able to have a breakout year for GWS last year without that strength - I don't think it's beyond him.
I would prefer it if he just improved each year. Cameron had a stellar year last but has regressed (temporarily at least) this year with the added attention and expectation. He is also probably more talented than Close who has good skills and a big motor but is more of a workhorse type.

Cameron got a lot of his goals with some seriously impressive speed, with the ball going over his head so he could beat his opponent running back on to it. I'm not sure Close has that easy out, plus we play a more crowded forward line.

For the life of me I do not understand how people are knocking his set shots at goal. Within 40m and not too far from the boundary I think he is quite good. A definite routine without too much fuss. 8goals and 1 behind pretty well much says it really.

For the life of me I do not understand how people are knocking his set shots at goal. Within 40m and not too far from the boundary I think he is quite good. A definite routine without too much fuss. 8goals and 1 behind pretty well much says it really.

He's had at least 5 shots at goal that haven't scored.

To be fair that figure's a little misleading because there's been a few out on the full and others that have fallen short.

When I've seen him in the ressies he actually seems to kick through the tougher/wider shots a bit better. The simpler kicks he tends to get under. His ball drop does needs work too - it is fairly high and he occasionally goes chasing after it which doesn't end well.

He's a 20yo (rounding up by 2 days) KPF though with a great attitude. He's going to be a gem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back