More local lads leaving

Remove this Banner Ad

ab56452001

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2009
salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi all , just herd that Haarmsma and Sawford off to Glenelg ,if true pretty sad , cant blame Sawford , played 3 good games in a row then had a quiet one like the rest of the team , next up a final and he gets dropped and a guy that I think hadn't managed a full game all year gets a gig ? . Gee this pi@@@ me off , the setup forced on us is rubbish !

... . Gee this pi@@@ me off , the setup forced on us is rubbish !
I was at a function down at the club recently and a senior figure who spoke briefly dropped a throwaway line about us looking at non-SANFL options for the Maggies. Even if I never hear about that again it was nice knowing the concept exists other than on BigFooty.

Hi all , just herd that Haarmsma and Sawford off to Glenelg ,if true pretty sad , cant blame Sawford , played 3 good games in a row then had a quiet one like the rest of the team , next up a final and he gets dropped and a guy that I think hadn't managed a full game all year gets a gig ? . Gee this pi@@@ me off , the setup forced on us is rubbish !

To make matters worse after he played in the academy side that beat North Adelaide he was not permitted to play the following week because the A grade were knocked out yet the Norwood U18 finals side had a player in who played league football during the year !

Can anyone confirm that AFL players MUST be picked before local players in the SANFL team.

Maybe the club is looking at players who need to be in a good system to get back into the AFL. A lot of players delisted that still think they have something to offer the AFL.

I and I suppose many others don't know what the answer is to this , Ammo's , Vfl or whatever ? , but I sure as hell don't want to continue with this charade , hopefully the solution we eventually go for aslong as it benefits the PAFC and hurts the already wounded SANFL.

Maybe the club is looking at players who need to be in a good system to get back into the AFL. A lot of players delisted that still think they have something to offer the AFL.
No. The rules don't allow us to pick up recent AFL delistees. I think they have to have been out of the AFL for 2 years before we can list them.

Yep, that's why Bruggemann didn't play in the SANFL Grand Final last year.

Yep, and that is just one of the reasons why Bruggeman defected to sturt, if he had played in that gf and been available to back up Harvey in the ruck it probably would have been a different result.

Instead a completely underdone Sam Russell had to be selected because he was on the Power list.

To make matters worse after he played in the academy side that beat North Adelaide he was not permitted to play the following week because the A grade were knocked out yet the Norwood U18 finals side had a player in who played league football during the year !

Can anyone confirm that AFL players MUST be picked before local players in the SANFL team.

Confirmed.

I'm pleased that we're in finals but this is a case of looking way past that and realising the sanfl team can never build to a flag. Making finals has been a hiccup in this scheme. This team starts again every year. We cannot maintain a stable side. Stability could have come by way of the non-afl listed players but they're being picked off yearly when showing signs of talent and their development with us is hindered by the rules. We're running out of father-sons. If you cannot win a flag by design then the you have to leave the sanfl. I've been a supporter of the local league but these rules are making me feel like a dunce by continuing to believe in a glimmer of hope of a flag.

I would be disappointed in the club if they were not preparing to position themselves for a battle for changes of improvement or exit. To coast along and accept the hits from loser clubs I can't stomach any further.

Or off our AFL list.
I think I need you to expand on what you mean there. I'm interpreting that as saying the Maggies can pick up Power players that have been delisted. Firstly I hadn't heard of that and secondly I can't see why we would be allowed to.

.... I've been a supporter of the local league but these rules are making me feel like a dunce by continuing to believe in a glimmer of hope of a flag ....
We are still more competitive under the new rules than we have been in years. I didn't put it in the quote but you said the Maggies cannot 'build to a flag' and that is very true. We have to largely reset each year.
The lads who aren't on the AFL list more or less have to look for other options after a year or two with us, but there's no point getting too upset about that. In a year where the Power is doing well and there is limited opportunity for talented reserves in the AFL the Maggies will be strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I need you to expand on what you mean there. I'm interpreting that as saying the Maggies can pick up Power players that have been delisted. Firstly I hadn't heard of that and secondly I can't see why we would be allowed to.

It was either in a club article or an email response from KT when the rules were changed to not allowing us to recruit contracted players from interstate. Pretty sure it read that we can contract a delisted Power player.

We are still more competitive under the new rules than we have been in years. I didn't put it in the quote but you said the Maggies cannot 'build to a flag' and that is very true. We have to largely reset each year.
The lads who aren't on the AFL list more or less have to look for other options after a year or two with us, but there's no point getting too upset about that. In a year where the Power is doing well and there is limited opportunity for talented reserves in the AFL the Maggies will be strong.

Yeah like 2014 but being up there in the afl won't always spell a strong Magpies team.

Eight Magpies re-sign for 2016 ".... Joining Summerton in signing on for 2016 is Louis Sharrad, Tom Gray, Sid Masters, Jonathon Ross, Robbie Young, Luke Reynolds and Tom Corcoran ...". First it's great to have Summerton back. Second I'm pretty pleased to have Sharrad, Gray, Masters, Young and Reynolds back; all could easily have gone elsewhere IMO. I don't recall Corcoran or Ross but that probably reflects more on me than them so welcome there too.

Eight Magpies re-sign for 2016 ".... Joining Summerton in signing on for 2016 is Louis Sharrad, Tom Gray, Sid Masters, Jonathon Ross, Robbie Young, Luke Reynolds and Tom Corcoran ...". First it's great to have Summerton back. Second I'm pretty pleased to have Sharrad, Gray, Masters, Young and Reynolds back; all could easily have gone elsewhere IMO. I don't recall Corcoran or Ross but that probably reflects more on me than them so welcome there too.

Any of those players can still be drafted/rookied by other AFL clubs though, it won't surprise me at all if Masters is picked up by someone, and Sharrad would have to be some sort of chance as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back