Opinion Moving overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Redskins,NUFC, Bruins, Rays,Gumbies
With my current job not doing as I expected (hoping) they would and making me a permanent employee, (as opposed to continually extending my contract) I have been told this contract wont be extended beyond June 30.
Now I have some time to find something else, but I was thinking about possibly selling up and moving OS. I was thinking maybe USA or the UK as I have friends in these countries.

My question is, anyone done it, how hard was/is it and any general advice?

Thanks

Back in the eighties I moved to the US, I found it very easy to do as I had my employer doing all the hard work arranging visa's/green card and the like. Apart from missing things like meat pies and sausage rolls (which I rarely eat anyhow, but when you can't get a maggot bag from the local servo you start to crave the gristly fat laden mystery meat) the culture shock was very positive. Things like when the locals where complaining about the cold, I was revelling in the ability to sleep all rugged up after nightshift, when at home I would have been sweltering in 30 + degree heat!

If possible, I'd try and find employment in the US before starting the process - having a "sponsor" will make it much easier.

What line of work are you in Getsome?

Govt contract work Smokey.
I would obviously look at a sponsor before uprooting but it was just an idea I had and thought if seek some advice. Yours seems like a pretty good experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back