Injury Murray ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't do any knee jerk trading unless it's free or very cheap.

I like the idea of getting Himmelberg some more defensive games in the Sanfl and bringing Keane in for a go.

That gives us Butts, Worrell and Keane as our tall KPDs for 12 months. Worrell can play smaller if needed. Hinge is a very handy 1v1 defender against all types of needed then we also have Michalaney with versatility.

In case of emergency we then have Borlase and potentially Himmelberg.

Get Keane some games is the next step imo.
Might depend on whether they trust that Butts can find further improvement, get the feeling Nicks hasn’t been totally convinced with Butts for a while and has shown he’ll sub him out first when he wants a different look to the team and their hasn’t been any injuries.

If you look to spend more currency and go after a Petty, Cox or Zerk-Thatcher you’re probably looking at long term replacing Butts from mid-next year rather than Murray in the short term.

Might depend on whether they trust that Butts can find further improvement, get the feeling Nicks hasn’t been totally convinced with Butts for a while and has shown he’ll sub him out first when he wants a different look to the team and their hasn’t been any injuries.

If you look to spend more currency and go after a Petty, Cox or Zerk-Thatcher you’re probably looking at long term replacing Butts from mid-next year rather than Murray in the short term.
I think Nicks likes how attacking the backline is without butts so if we are down at half time needing goals he likes to sub Butts thinking we can score heavily from D50

It played out that way on Sunday

I would have been ok with Murray Worrell then Hinge playing as the tall defenders

Not so excited with Butts Worrell and Hinge so we need Keane or someone not on our list yet

I think Nicks likes how attacking the backline is without butts so if we are down at half time needing goals he likes to sub Butts thinking we can score heavily from D50

It played out that way on Sunday

I would have been ok with Murray Worrell then Hinge playing as the tall defenders

Not so excited with Butts Worrell and Hinge so we need Keane or someone not on our list yet
I bet Nicks is onto list management to get a decent KPD into the club pronto. Especially with his job on the line next year. I think that's why we have pulled our Redman offer.

I bet Nicks is onto list management to get a decent KPD into the club pronto. Especially with his job on the line next year. I think that's why we have pulled our Redman offer.
There's no way we are going 'oh we were going to spend 800K on Redman, let's find an 800K defender instead that we haven't even been talking with'.

There's no way we are going 'oh we were going to spend 800K on Redman, let's find an 800K defender instead that we haven't even been talking with'.
Coaches can have a lot of say especially when there job is on the line. Losing Doedee and then Murray can defeitely effect our decision making. Doedee not so much but definitely Murray influenced who we target in the offseason. Murray going down can also influence whether we offer guys like Sloane an extra year or not as well.

So in other words he was just playing Essendon to get more $$$$. They likely knew that.
I think he saw crows offer and didn’t think it was enough of a different maker to the Essendon offer to make him leave

A bit like how Eddie would have stayed at Carlton if their offer was closer to crows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d prob list a key back from another club that’s looking for more opportunities either as a delisted FA or late pick we wouldn’t use anyway

But also hope that Keane can do job
Your gut feel on Keane Jeff? Up to AFL standard this year or next?

Your gut feel on Keane Jeff? Up to AFL standard this year or next?
Gut feel is he needs a full pre season to be at his best but if he can come in now and just show some signs then hit pre season hard that would give me some confidence that we don’t need to do anything outlandish re spending up for key defenders when we have other priorities

I am so sad about this.

Feels like when it happened to Tex 10 years back.

Don't really want to watch the rest of the season now.

FFS.
Landing on the one leg is always a bit of a lottery. Prefer to see a player always try and land on both feet to displace the load on the joints but it's not always possible.

Dr Google says returning to sport within 9 months of ACL surgery has a marked increased risk of reinjury vs delaying return to sport.

Results:
In this study, 159 athletes with a mean age of 21.5 years old were included. Of the participants, 64% were female.

Athletes who sustained a new ACL injury returned to knee-strenuous sport, on average, 10.1 ± 3.3 months after ACL reconstruction, compared with 12.7 ± 4.8 months for athletes with no new ACL injury.

Ten of the 33 athletes who returned to knee-strenuous sport earlier than 9 months after reconstructions sustained a new ACL injury.

Twelve (67%) of the second ACL injuries occurred in athletes who returned to knee-strenuous sports between 8 and 9 months after ACL reconstruction.

Athletes who returned to knee-strenuous sport at 9 months or later after surgery had a lower rate of new ACL injury compared with those who returned earlier than 9 months after ACL reconstruction.

Athletes who returned to knee-strenuous sport earlier than 9 months had an approximately 7 times higher rate of new ACL injury compared with those who returned at 9 months or later after surgery.

Achieving symmetrical muscle function in 5 tests or symmetry in quadriceps strength was not associated with new ACL injury.”

Shame you can't put a player on the inactive list for two thirds of a season. I mean by the time he's ready to return we'll almost certainly have another player out with a long term injury anyway.

Dr Google says returning to sport within 9 months of ACL surgery has a marked increased risk of reinjury vs delaying return to sport.

Results:
In this study, 159 athletes with a mean age of 21.5 years old were included. Of the participants, 64% were female.

Athletes who sustained a new ACL injury returned to knee-strenuous sport, on average, 10.1 ± 3.3 months after ACL reconstruction, compared with 12.7 ± 4.8 months for athletes with no new ACL injury.

Ten of the 33 athletes who returned to knee-strenuous sport earlier than 9 months after reconstructions sustained a new ACL injury.

Twelve (67%) of the second ACL injuries occurred in athletes who returned to knee-strenuous sports between 8 and 9 months after ACL reconstruction.

Athletes who returned to knee-strenuous sport at 9 months or later after surgery had a lower rate of new ACL injury compared with those who returned earlier than 9 months after ACL reconstruction.

Athletes who returned to knee-strenuous sport earlier than 9 months had an approximately 7 times higher rate of new ACL injury compared with those who returned at 9 months or later after surgery.

Achieving symmetrical muscle function in 5 tests or symmetry in quadriceps strength was not associated with new ACL injury.”
I reckon he will be back around round 8-10 next year

Maybe won’t play afl until mid season bye

Remove this Banner Ad

Back