Poll NAFL - Round 9

Which jumper do you prefer? Do not vote for yourself.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

NAFL Round 9

Poll will be open for 4 days.

Do not vote for yourself or ask people to vote for you, you will be penalised.

Vote once in each game (besides your own).

Home team image is on top.

Melbourne Royals v Mount Isa Miners

Melbourne-Royals-HOME-JUMPER_zps385c1e9a.png

88783_48c9abee441864f1d9f2e0185d90cf01.png

Hobart Hornets v Port Macquarie Power

PaYmu08.png

Clash_zpsf525d70b.png

Waikato Tigers v Cairns Chargers

fGaLjEe.png

Canberra Parliament v Bass Strait Swordfish

CanberraParliamenthome_zps1368f2c8.jpg

Clash_zps9abb7156.png

Hahndorf Eagles v Perth Phoenix

PerthPhoenixHome_zps7c3b5a9b.png~original

Adelaide River Crocodiles v Perth Jaguars

AdelaideRiverCrocodileshome_zpsa6de617c.png

sqh6c9.png

Alice Springs Adders v Capital Hill Kookaburras

fD8n8E5.png

CapitalHillFCClashUpdated_zps813c6594.png

Wellington Makos v Sydney Blues

WellingtonMakosHome201415_zps05d37b31.png

ZzZ69Nh.png

Ballarat Diggers v Canberra Owls

home_zps61fcf915.png~original

wu48lu.png

Ouch. 15-6 against the Parliament. Thought it could've been a bit smaller together at least :/

If the Parliament get a good run in the finals where the home guernsey is used, he could take this whole thing out.

If he's forced to use his clash he's probably toast.

This competition is particularly brutal. Of course, remember the whole 51/49 theory where even if guernseys are really close you can lose 20-0 because everyone just slightly prefers the other one.

If the Parliament get a good run in the finals where the home guernsey is used, he could take this whole thing out.

If he's forced to use his clash he's probably toast.

This competition is particularly brutal. Of course, remember the whole 51/49 theory where even if guernseys are really close you can lose 20-0 because everyone just slightly prefers the other one.
He's done very well with the Homd, agreed. Unfortunately, I can see at least 8 or 9 of 18 where he'd need the clash which could put him down. I guess it all depends on what order they're in. If they're split up, he'll be ok. But if they're all at once, he may bomb out quickly.

That's thy key in this comp I think; you need to have a colour and shade that is unique in the blind designing phase. Take Waikato and Hobart for example, they both have the colour red, each with a different shade and so they stand out and draw the attention to them rather than their opponents

He's done very well with the Homd, agreed. Unfortunately, I can see at least 8 or 9 of 18 where he'd need the clash which could put him down. I guess it all depends on what order they're in. If they're split up, he'll be ok. But if they're all at once, he may bomb out quickly.

Yeah, there have been a few examples in competitions like this where someone has had a ridiculously popular home and an away that never got any votes who eventually had to use their away in the finals and bombed out. He might end up being a bit similar.

That's thy key in this comp I think; you need to have a colour and shade that is unique in the blind designing phase. Take Waikato and Hobart for example, they both have the colour red, each with a different shade and so they stand out and draw the attention to them rather than their opponents

The balance with these competitions is doing something that looks like a footy guernsey should, while at the same time being interesting and unique enough to vote for. Given that the quality is pretty high all the way through this competition, that's the dividing line for me. It's a line that lmach usually absolutely masters.

Every voter's line is slightly different, with some preferring more traditional and some preferring more unique which is why results in this comp are a bit all over the place and you never really know whether you'll beat a team or get smashed until 3 or 4 days of voting are up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How

How can I get people to vote for me? Srs?

Improve.

It might sound harsh, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with your design and i've voted for it and i'll vote for it again. There is absolutely no shame in doing poorly in this competition.

6 months ago, in the last one of these league style competitions before this, the IFA, I entered this design for the Birmingham Bears:

7JXYnDB.png

If I entered that in this competition, i'd expect to be coming basically dead last. It didn't do particularly well in the IFA and missed the finals. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but it's totally unremarkable. There is nothing about it that screams "vote for me", and I was only getting votes against designs that were worse. It's a basic recolour of an existing design, on a run of the mill template on the stock standard ISC cut, and it just doesn't have anything going for it. The standard is just too high.

After this crashed in the IFA I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the heavy hitters were doing in these competitions that I wasn't. Here's what I came up with:

- Template.

Look at lmach. Look at ScottFreo. Opposite ends of the design program spectrum, but both examples of stunning templates that do half the job of selling a design for you. I can't compete with them, but I could improve. I took a template Dylan8 made (#cheersdylan), I modified it, I added socks, and I even added a bit of a 3D textured look that doesn't compete with lmach's, but might give me the 5% edge I need in such a competitive comp.

I know people say template shouldn't matter but it should and it does. A design competition is all about presentation.

- Balance between unique and traditional for overall design.

It needs to look like a footy guernsey, but it needs to also be different. My Birmingham Bears design was waaaay to simple and boring. Simple will get you some wins, but it wont make finals or win competitions. Do something nobody has ever done before. Put a twist on a traditional design. Make a more ambitious design look more traditional. Most importantly, don't let your design be too boring. Boring might get you some wins if it's polished and on a good template, but you'll never do really well.

Scour the internet for design ideas. When you see something you think looks cool and might work on a guernsey anywhere, copy and save it and when you come to design your guernseys, use some of those ideas. If you think of something cool and different, put it down somewhere, and even if it doesn't work with your current design, it might work down the track somewhere else.

- The little things matter

and they really do. Manufacturer tags on the back of the neck. Template adjustments. Stitching. A different collar. How your sponsors fit in. Numbers! Numbers are huge. You've done yourself a massive disservice on this clash by having a plain, rectangular number 1, because it adds nothing to your design. Add logos to your numbers, choose a different font. Experiment. Copy what you see on soccer shirts or similar. Do something unique. How you package your design is as important as the sash or stripes.

Your Opera House line is a good idea and you've got a lot to work with, but you're on an old template, with a fairly plain design, with nothing particularly noteworthy about the way you've put it together. It's nice, but everyone else is going above and beyond nice in this competition. The standard is massive. My Birmingham Bears design was exactly the same as yours and I know exactly how you feel. IFA bidding starts soon, bid for that and do better in every way you're capable of doing better.

The all blue team are on the verge of changing team colours. #****youABH
Don't dis ABH. He's the king.
I like your design. Notice I'm the only one who voted for you, IMO it's nowhere near the worst.

Back