Delisted Nathan Freeman

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow! What a first up appearance in RWB for Freezer.

Obviously his level was way above those he was playing against today but a great step in his recovery and no doubt his confidence.
There was never any doubt the kid can play. He's a jet and just what we need.

Might take another month or so but can't wait to see him play AFL for us for a long long time.:thumbsu::rainbow:

http://www.doctorsupercoach.com/fringe-benefits-round-3/

Fringe Benefits Round 3

The best news on the rookie front came in the form of an injury plagued saints midfielder by the name of Nathan Freeman.

Playing in the development league, Freeman managed to get through 3 quarters unscathed before spending the final quarter on the bench.

What makes this exciting for SuperCoaches is that in those 3 quarters Freeman racked up 46 DISPOSALS!!!

(Not much posting by this advocate for his player, enough being spoken about on the main board.)

First game in VFL 1sts for Nathan at Sandy.

10 disposals (3k 7hb), 2 marks and 3 tackles.

Not a game where we looked to how 'he' performed, it was more about how his 'hamstrings' performed, let's see (& hope) he can back it up again this week.

Got through the game v Casey on the weekend*, just the 5 disposals.

I sense some want to see a 25+ disposal game at this stage, I think we should just be concentrating on 80+ minutes of game time for the season.

Got through the game v Casey on the weekend*, just the 5 disposals.

I sense some want to see a 25+ disposal game at this stage, I think we should just be concentrating on 80+ minutes of game time for the season.
Watched a bit on tv. Great to see him out there again. Disposals should be zero concern at this stage.

Watched a bit on tv. Great to see him out there again. Disposals should be zero concern at this stage.

Great to see him out there. I would really like to see them limit his minutes even more from here but maybe see him start to lift his intensity as he seems to be just trying to see out the games currently.

Back in the development league this week, just another game to get under the belt without any concerns.

Doing what he needs to do (i.e. get through games), without setting the world on fire.

Time, patience & confidence all leading in to a solid preseason for 2017.

There'll certainly be great interest in him next year. Rapt that he's been able to string together a number of games late in the year.

Back in the development league this week, just another game to get under the belt without any concerns.

Doing what he needs to do (i.e. get through games), without setting the world on fire.

Time, patience & confidence all leading in to a solid preseason for 2017.
Your boy will be SC Gold next year K

Gonna be a very interesting year for Freeman. Finally showed progress towards the end of 2016 being able to string a sizeable block of continuous games together ( albeit VFL).
But it showed that the club are on the right track and maybe it was actually a great move by the Saints to take the chance on him.
He was originally drafted to Coll as an explosive paced exciting mid. If we can get him up and running he could be an instant boost to our midfield strength and depth.
So many variables could happen.
Does his body hold up.
Does he re injure that hammy.
Can he make a big impact.
Or does he need time to adjust to the speed of the game again.
If he plays some exciting footy this yr will Collingwood supporters have a total melt.?

Exciting times ahead. The unknown makes it even more exciting.
Watch this space:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Freeman is the joker in our pack isn't he Snake.

Interestingly I think most St Kilda supporters fall into one of two camps regarding Nathan. They are either believe:

• he will come good and fulfil his potential and be an inspired trade and an integral part of our next flag tilt
  • he is broken beyond repair and will be a failed risk
I think he will eventually be something in between those two extremes. A solid B grade footballer, who is competing for a bench spot and needs to manage his body through every season with a little more care than some of his more durable team mates. Say a 2014 Armitage prone to 2 week layoffs in the course of a season.

Freeman is the joker in our pack isn't he Snake.

Interestingly I think most St Kilda supporters fall into one of two camps regarding Nathan. They are either believe:

• he will come good and fulfil his potential and be an inspired trade and an integral part of our next flag tilt
  • he is broken beyond repair and will be a failed risk
I think he will eventually be something in between those two extremes. A solid B grade footballer, who is competing for a bench spot and needs to manage his body through every season with a little more care than some of his more durable team mates. Say a 2014 Armitage prone to 2 week layoffs in the course of a season.
Yeah would be great to see him in one of these pre season games just to see how much of an impact he is likely to have if & when he plays this season.
Barring any setbacks im tipping him to get a debut game early in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to the Saints medical staff but more importantly to Freezer himself for never giving up . Let's hope he can play the entire season. That will be great for his confidence and his career. Then , if everything goes well , he can really hit the preseason for next year and who knows . Have to keep reminding ourselves that no matter what happens he's still only 21 so he could still have a bright career ahead of him.

Sent via HAL

Finally getting some consistency. And even a highlights package!

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-06-06/freeman-vfl-round-7

I would guess and say that was probably the best he has played for us so far . He looked very impressive. The only problem was he was still being careful when kicking long which is fair enough. His pace is finally starting to come back as his confidence level in his body is improving because of the amount of games he has been playing .

This sort of effort shows why our recruiting team were so eager to get him . The time and effort into getting his over his injuries is starting to pay off. And it's great for the kid to finally be getting some time on the ground instead of being on the bench watching the game . I'm happy for him.

Sent via HAL

Has finally been able to string about ten games together in a row . His form has been exciting as well causing lots of calls for his promotion to the seniors although Richo has said he won't be promoted this season they might still change their mind given his form and our lack of speed . But if he can get through the rest of this season ok and have a good preseason next year he will be like a new recruit for the Saints next year . It will certainly be exciting when he gets the call up to play .

Sent via Imagination, HAL traded.

Some pics of Freeman

2abeaf890aac77161270d72c49813f1d.jpg

1e52c6ba69c887bb68ce764dce925cac.jpg

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-06-06/freeman-vfl-round-7

Sent via Imagination, HAL traded.

Last edited:
Yet again was one of our best players for Sandy , had high thirtys disposal numbers again . He is putting pressure on the selection committee after they said he wouldn't play seniors this year , they might be rethinking their plans especially with Jack Steven possibly being suspended. Would be a great day for the club , the supporters but more importantly for Nathan himself . After all these years he might play a game in the seniors . Also great news for the medical team who have looked after him since he came from Collingwood.

template

St Kilda
Nathan Freeman is finally injury free and flying in VFL as he looks to make AFL debut
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
July 11, 2017 8:00pm
Subscriber only

NATHAN Freeman has put together a brilliant month of VFL football as he attempts to force his way into St Kilda’s side this season.

The injury-prone Saints speedster has lit up VFL ranks, his most recent game a 37-possession, 10-clearance, nine-tackle game against Werribee.

He missed last week’s clash as a precaution with a tight back but trained on Monday and will play VFL again this weekend.

GARY BUCKENARA: EXPERT ANALYSIS OF ST KILDA’S LIST AND NEEDS

MATCH REPORT: SAINTS CRUISE AS TIGERS DROWN IN EXPECTATION

NAMESAKES: HOW SAINTS TELL SIX JACKS APART

Coach Alan Richardson had suggested this year that Freeman would not make his AFL debut this year after continual hamstring problems.

It is Freeman’s fourth season in the AFL and despite no setbacks with his hamstring this year the club had urged caution, keen for him to build fitness and continuity.

But his past four games have shown rapid improvement — 24, 30, 30 and 37 possessions for ranking point totals of 107, 116, 120 and 153.

a6b2b6b3fdb3f8d7cfc0994be0398d72

Nathan Freeman in action for Sandringham.
His GPS data is also significantly improved, showing more top-end speed that shows he has begun to trust his body again.

Realistically he will need several more weeks of exceptional form but suddenly the prize of his AFL debut is within reach.

St Kilda football boss Jamie Cox said told the Herald Sun the club was putting no limits on his selection prospects this year.

“He is playing good VFL footy which is just what we wanted. Freezer needed to get that continuity into his football.

“If you performing strongly, that’s all you can do. He is going well playing competitive, consistent footy which is what we want.

“And if you put pressure on from the level below you just never know.”

The 22-year-old was the No. 10 pick in the 2013 draft but moved to Collingwood after two seasons in a three-season deal.

He has now played 12 VFL games this year without injury, clearly the most positive season of his short career.

0e663c89c0fd9d3bce5adde57019c415

Nathan Freeman and Paddy McCartin at St Kilda training.
The impediment will be bursting into the deep St Kilda midfield, which played Blake Acres and Luke Dunstan in the VFL last weekend.

One of that pair will hope to replace Tim Membrey ahead of Friday night’s clash with fellow finals contender Essendon.

Membrey will serve two week’s suspension with Billy Longer still hopeful of recovering from hamstring tightness.

Longer pulled up sore last week, with Tom Hickey withdrawn from Sunday’s VFL game as a precaution.

The Saints will make a decision on Wednesday on whether to play Patrick McCartin in the VFL after concussion or rest him for another week.

St Kilda could either bring in one of Acres or Dunstan or blood a first-year player like medium-sized forward Josh Battle, who kicked two goals last weekend.

NATHAN FREEMAN’S LAST FOUR VFL GAMES

R7 v COLLINGWOOD: 24 possessions, 7 marks, 6 tackles, 107 ranking points

R8 v WILLIAMSTOWN: 30 possessions (9 contested), 4 clearances, 116 ranking points

R10 v COBURG: 30 possessions (19 contested), 9 clearances, 7 tackles, 129 ranking points

R11 v WERRIBEE: 37 possessions (25 contested), 9 tackles, 10 clearances, 153 ranking points

I know he missed this week due to a minor back problem but it's been so great to see him play so many games this year. He has got better and better as the season has gone on. I know why they don't want to play him in the seniors until next year because they want him to be able to play the whole year and not just one game here and there . He will be like a new recruit for us next year. Imagine the melts from Collingwood fans when they see him playing game after game in the seniors next year and hopefully dominating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back