Traded Nathan Wilson (U17 selection, 2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Nathan Wilson

wilson_nathan_o.png

Height: 184cm
Weight: 78kg
D/O/B: 7/1/1993
Position: Defender

Great write up on Nathan's journey and how he is now hitting his straps

Of Greater Western Sydney's 10 foundation players, only three remain at the club. Two you've probably heard of – Jeremy Cameron and Dylan Shiel – the other is only now finding his way. Nathan Wilson had no option but to "take it on the chin" as he watched Cameron and Shiel stamp themselves as genuine league players, but now into his fifth season the 23-year-old is showing he too belongs. At most clubs such progress would be the norm, though not so at the Giants, where players are given opportunities much earlier in their careers. Watching his teammates surge ahead while he was mixing time in the reserves and seniors, often as the sub or the player being subbed, was not easy. It helped, Wilson said, that some of his contemporaries from the Australian Institute of Sport, like the Western Bulldogs' Jake Stringer, were also taking time.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/greate...-making-up-for-lost-time-20160407-go0sw6.html

Congratulations on 50 games Nathan Wilson

image.jpeg

Milestone Man Returns

The GIANTS have made two changes to their side to take on Fremantle, who are travelling to Spotless Stadium for the first time on Saturday afternoon.

After another big week at the selection table, coach Leon Cameron has recalled running defender Nathan Wilson and young midfielder Jacob Hopper for this week’s clash.

“It was a really tough week, our NEAFL won by a big margin and there’s been some really good players playing some good footy,” Cameron said.

“These guys have got to perform really, really well because as we know, towards the pointy end of the season it’s getting tougher and tougher for selection.”

Out of the side go defender Adam Kennedy and midfielder Matt Kennedy, both of whom Cameron says were “unlucky” to lose their spots.

Kennedy was concussed late in last round’s loss to West Coast but is expected to play in the NEAFL this weekend.

Wilson comes back into the team after being dropped to the NEAFL last week. He picked up 29 touches, including 18 kicks, and returns to play his 50th AFL game.

After being one of the first players to sign with the club as a 17-year-old access selection, he’ll celebrate the milestone with fellow running back Zac Williams who has his own slice of history as the first GIANTS Academy graduate to play for the club.

“I think it’s a great story. The two of them get along really well, they’re popular members of our footy club,” Cameron said.

“Nathan’s had a break-out year, his form has just dropped away in the last month or so - he’s the first to admit that.

“But having him and Zac play their 50th games together is great for those two boys but also great for our footy club.

“There’s no doubt their ability to move the ball from the back half to the front half is a highlight. It’s going to be tough against Fremantle, they have a really good defence, but I’m expecting those boys to have an impact on the weekend.”

From club website.

From the Mandurah Mail...

http://www.mandurahmail.com.au/stor...wilson-relishing-his-time-at-the-top/#slide=1

From junior to Giant: Mandurah product Nathan Wilson relishing his time at the top
29 Jun 2017, 12:14 p.m.
Nathan Wilson first started kicking a footy around at the age of five down at Mandurah’s Rushton Park.

He played his Auskick in the Peel region and joined the Mandurah Centrals for his junior days under coach Matt Lowry.

Fast forward 19 years and the local lad has built a reputation as one of the AFL’s toughest defenders and cemented his place in a side challenging for a premiership at the top level.

But despite how far he’s come, the GWS Giant remains humble, insisting he’s got a ways to go before reaching his desired level.

“I think I’ve had a really good year so far this season. Obviously we’re on top and that’s where you want to be, but I think I’ve still got some improving to do,” Wilson said.

“We had the bye two weeks ago and my two weeks before that probably weren’t great.

“That sort of prompted me to have a look at myself and assess where I was at, and I think I played pretty well coming back against Brisbane.”

Wilson was pre-listed by the Giants as a 17-year-old in 2010 after a number of impressive performances at Peel Thunder.

He arrived at the club weighing around 65 kilograms, and spent his first days as an AFL player in the gym.

“When I first arrived it was a big change for me, and really scary as a 17-year-old kid,” he said.

“To go from Mandurah and pack up my things pretty quickly to move to Sydney was a big change, but all I could do was embrace it and get on the training track.”

And train he did.

Wilson’s determination saw him land a spot in the side, in a role he relished in learning under experienced AFL heads like Heath Shaw and Phil Davis.

Nathan Wilson has learnt under one of the best head coaches in the AFL in Leon Cameron. Photo: Getty Images.

He now registers at 82kg, is a contender for the all-Australian squad and gives forwards nightmares week in, week out.

The skillful defender also played in his first finals campaign in 2016, helping GWS reach a preliminary final where they fell short of the eventual premiers, the Western Bulldogs, by one straight kick.

Now Wilson has moved on, and says the entire team has their focus fixed squarely on what is to come in 2017.

“I guess in a way last year’s preliminary final against the Dogs still haunts us and it probably always will, but that’s in the past,” he said.

“It’s round 14 now and we’re on top, so we have to keep looking forward and thinking about the games to come this season.”

Nathan Wilson attempts to tackle Marcus Bontempelli in his side's gut-wrenching preliminary final loss. Photo: Getty Images.

Wilson has been with the Giants since their inception to the AFL, struggling through a number of growing pains along the way.

Now, he is hoping to help the side achieve “something special”.

“We struggled a lot as a team of young kids early, so to be able to see the results and compete the way we’re competing now is fantastic,” he said.

“There’s a lot of belief in our playing group that we can achieve something special.”

The GIANTS wish to advise that defender Nathan Wilson has requested a trade home to Western Australia due to family reasons.

And now delisted by Fremantle:

FREMANTLE has delisted speedsters Travis Colyer and Nathan Wilson as it looks towards next season.

Wilson, a running defender who started his career at Greater Western Sydney, played just four senior games this year after managing just two last season. Wilson, who turns 31 in January, has played 155 AFL games across his 12-season career. The pair will continue to play for Peel Thunder until the end of the WAFL season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back