NEAFL - Eastern Conference 2013

whats happening at Eastlake. local rag in albury saying that, Kimball, mesman, roulstone and Maiden are all playing in the Hume League a standard below ovens and murray. Not sure how these boys will go playing on cow paddocks as oppose to million $ surfaces.

Also found out this morning that Brabazon has signed at Sydney Uni for 2014. Matt O'Dwyer not far behind him

I heard as part of the Eastlake/ Tuggeranong merger that Eastlake will be wearing the brown and gold jumper as their clash strip. Any truth to this?

Tim Schmidt to SH Eagles in a coaching/management role. He played some games with the Swans, then Sydney footy under Nic Fosdike for a couple of years - not sure what he's been doing since then

Hey ABH, oh Spiritual Leader of our NEAFL threads.........is it time for a 2014 thread yet ?

And should we be merging with the Northern relatives, now that we are "ONE" ? I tend to think not, though not for any reason to do with being a bitch. It just seems that we just don't all know each other well enough yet.
Happy to have a merged thread if that's what everyone wants.

The 2014 NEAFL draw is up. I had a quick look and it seems that not much has changed for our community NSW clubs...still a little travel, still a few matches against the biggies, but mostly we still just play each other and have byes.

I gather that the AFL has raised the bar for qualification, and performance (on and off the field) but structurally nothing has changed except that Tuggeranong is missing.

Am I right ?

From what 's been reported so far, it doesn't sound like the new recruits are especially high quality, and the new replacement coaches are just small-time.

I'm not sure where the increased level of professionalism is going to come from for next year.

The 2014 NEAFL draw is up. I had a quick look and it seems that not much has changed for our community NSW clubs...still a little travel, still a few matches against the biggies, but mostly we still just play each other and have byes.

I gather that the AFL has raised the bar for qualification, and performance (on and off the field) but structurally nothing has changed except that Tuggeranong is missing.

Am I right ?

From what 's been reported so far, it doesn't sound like the new recruits are especially high quality, and the new replacement coaches are just small-time.

I'm not sure where the increased level of professionalism is going to come from for next year.

Only 6 teams play finals compared to 10 this year due to no conferences. The majority of the best players in QLD have joined the 3 NEAFL clubs, creating very strong lists for all 3. The professionalism is ramping up for next year in QLD, so if the NSW/ACT teams like the idea of finals and premierships etc then they will have to ramp up their lists and level of professionalism likewise. The draw has been manufactured to reduce travel but ultimately the best teams will end up playing finals. When you consider 4 AFL teams and NT Thunder who have picked up 6 or so ex-AFL boys are likely to occupy finals spots it doesn't leave that much room for the rest.

The rationalising/culling of teams that happened in QLD has caused a bit of an imbalance IMO. Either the NSW/ACT clubs need to find a way to improve significantly under the current structure or a re-structure with less teams will need to happen.

Have to agree. Its going to be hard for any non AFL or Territory team to make the finals - north or east. Do however agree that the amalgamation up north places those teams in a significantly stronger position than East.

What will be every ones opinion if no Eastern (non AFL) Club don't make the finals? Will Clubs keep throwing resources and buckets of money to play in a comp if they cant make to finals stage?

Interesting chat going on at the thread NEAFL-2014. Perhaps there is a rebel in our Eastern ranks who wants to set up a thread specifically for us but, for now, it seems that NEAFL-2014 is the place to be reading and contributing.

The previous boss of our part of the NEAFL operated out of Canberra and was attached to the ACTAFL......I think.
But the new boy will work out of Sydney, attached to the AFL office in Sydney.

Should we read anything into that about the centre of influence for the Eastern branch of NEAFL now ?

i
The previous boss of our part of the NEAFL operated out of Canberra and was attached to the ACTAFL......I think.
But the new boy will work out of Sydney, attached to the AFL office in Sydney.

Should we read anything into that about the centre of influence for the Eastern branch of NEAFL now ?
be a job for a year. my tip neafl next year fully fledged reserves comp for afl season after. could be wrong but sources say on the card. just have to feel for all proping up neafl for this season and funds put towards it.

JSG - I will guarantee you that there will not be a fully fledged AFL reserves competition in 2015. The AFL & 90% of AFL clubs have advised publicly that this is not on the radar due to the costs associated with running a fully fledged reserves competition. It suits everyone at this stage that the "states" have their own competitions. Clubs cannot afford to increase their lists (+ the AFL are looking to reduce further) and the requirement to continually look for top ups is far from ideal for all parties. If you are a keen observer of Vlad and his crew, then you will know that they never go back and change their minds. They got rid of the AFL reserves and it wont be reintroduced although I am sure many of us would love it to happen if for nothing else other than nostalgia.

The Richmond plan is one I am sure everyone will watch with interest. It is different to any of the other clubs as they are genuinely recruiting for new players and are planning to run it is a separate team. I'm keen to see how they do this (training etc) and the results that follow.

Personally, I am a fan of the NEAFL and I am excited by the future of it whatever that may be. Those crying foul aren't forced to watch it, participate in it or support it.

PS: Did you question how long WCE & ADE would last when they joined the then VFL? Did you think Port Adelaide would go back to the SANFL with their tail between their legs because a genuine national competition would never be achieved?

Unfortunately for you JSG, the NEAFL is here to stay. It's called progress!

i could be wrong.... but time will tell. may not occur in 2015 but i have heard this is something being looked at. neafl in theory is great but not all clubs can support financially and be competitive. true club supporters want wins and finals. this season will be make or break for a few in my opinion.... and it is just my thoughts

Back