Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

I think even if we drafted Duursma I reckon he'd be struggling in our side.

Duursma to me is one of those players who comes across looking better than they actually are because they're playing in a winning side.

I remember a time when GWS were laughed at for drafting Toby Greene over Wingard, but now you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Wingard is the better player.

Now I'm not for a second trying to compare McHenry to Greene, but just making the point that it could take some time before we actually know whether we got the pick right or wrong.

Most players will play better in a more successful side but reverse roles and Duursma in a crows guernsey still easily exceeds anything Ned has done.

Although one maybe better than the other both Greene and Wingard would be in the best 22 of every club in the comp and both will be 200 game players if they aren't already. As much as you would easily prefer Greene you wouldn't lose too much sleep if you ended up with Wingard. On the other hand you have Duursma who is tracking in the right direction and likely to be a 200 gamer with possibly a high ceiling, whereas Ned... well he is fighting for his career right now. There is still time on his side but his glimpses are few and far between. Ultimately I feel like it isn't an apt comparison at all.

Last edited:

Most players will play better in a more successful side but reverse roles and Duursma in a crowd guernsey still easily exceeds anything Ned has done.

Although one maybe better than the other both Greene and Wingard would be in the best 22 of every club in the comp and both will be 200 game players if they aren't already. As much as you would easily prefer Greene you wouldn't lose too much sleep if you ended up with Wingard. On the other hand you have Duursma who is tracking in the right direction and likely to be a 200 gamer with possibly a high ceiling, whereas Ned... well he is fighting for his career right now. There is still time on his side but his glimpses are few and far between. Ultimately I feel like it isn't an apt comparison at all.
Duursma is exactly the type that would struggle in our side. I'd have drafted him before Ned TBH but I don't think he'd be overly successful had we done so.

It's certainly doable, though I'm not a genuine fan of that switch. I don't particularly see the kicking game or the line breaking game I want to see in an outside midfielder. Could be nice as a rotation though, especially as a potential circuit breaker when we're losing control of a match. Ned can be a rather contagious player.

That said, I do doubt there is a position Ned is more suited to then half forward with the right coach. He kind of fits that role snugly with his pressure game, good IQ and sserviceable offensive game. Really looks a Ballyntyne clone though that comparision is pretty lazy.
What is a serviceable offensive game?

I dont think he'll ever justify the 1st rounder, but as was said earlier thats not on him. Cant help but love the kid - fighting that trainer trying to get him off after concussion. Declaring him my favourite crow for the next decade (unless we find in a heavy-set 100 goal beer guzzling FF).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting to turn into a handy player. He brought his usual tenacity and I only saw maybe one brain-fade the whole game yesterday and no silly free kicks against. Not convinced we will ever get full value out of the draft pick but he's becoming a handy role player nonetheless. Adds to the positive team culture we're tying to develop as well.

If we could get this kind of turnaround in form from Jones, the first round of the 2018 draft goes from disaster to mild disappointment. I'd take that.

Starting to turn into a handy player. He brought his usual tenacity and I only saw maybe one brain-fade the whole game yesterday and no silly free kicks against. Not convinced we will ever get full value out of the draft pick but he's becoming a handy role player nonetheless. Adds to the positive team culture we're tying to develop as well.

If we could get this kind of turnaround in form from Jones, the first round of the 2018 draft goes from disaster to mild disappointment. I'd take that.
Jones is looking better at half back. Ned is becoming more composed as well. I'm not sure we'll get full value out of them either but at least they're showing something. We must nail our draft picks this year though with some A grade mids.

Eh, get 100+ games out of Ned, and we've got full value from that pick.

Jones is pretty similar too, though it's more expected that pick 9 will have a long career.

McHenry has very, very good decision making. Gets into the right positions, disposal to advantage, and that's complemented by extreme endurance.

Simmering away nicely
I don't think his decision making is very, very good tbh. Earlier in the season he was prone to making all kinds of stupid mistakes ranging from giving away dumb frees, choosing poor options by foot, choosing to handball when he needed to kick and turning it over etc. His early games were all effort, no brains.

He does appear to be improving though. Last night, the only mistake I can remember was that chip pass to Thilthorpe when he should have taken a shot himself. He has a tendency to be a little too unselfish sometimes. That was easily his best game in terms of decision making though. I hope he keeps it up. If he can eliminate the brain-fades and dumb frees, we have a real player on our hands here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back