Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

He's obviously not one of our best tacklers like Laird or Berry but he's okay I would say, and he doesn't lack for effort which was more or less the point of that example. Again, I'm not saying McHenry is a good player, I'm saying he plays a role the club values and he sets an example with his effort, which is an explanation for why he gets picked.

He’s a player who can’t stick tackles who’s main role is to tackle.

jennifer lawrence middle finger GIF
Just Leave Go Away GIF by Law & Order

I'd prefer he didn't even get involved in the play - he costs us momentum and has no idea.
I was ragging on him to my mate all night. At one point he actually had a good pick up then laced out Fog I think. I didn’t even get half way through saying “that was actually decent” before he ran through for a follow up handball and dropped it and turned it over.

I was ragging on him to my mate all night. At one point he actually had a good pick up then laced out Fog I think. I didn’t even get half way through saying “that was actually decent” before he ran through for a follow up handball and dropped it and turned it over.

I was semi pissed off at Fog as well there tbh, should have had better know how then to handball off to the idiot.

I was semi pissed off at Fog as well there tbh, should have had better know how then to handball off to the idiot.
Yep

If McHenry's going to play he needs to wear a yellow headband or something so players know not to pass it to him

Tries and good personality but can’t play. Bad skills, bad decision maker, bad tackler, hardly hits the scoreboard, 0 iq or instinct, fumbles
His rev up speech had us cooking though

Should be the end of his match day involvement however

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coaches are instructing him to run to certain positions for different scenarios, run with particular players, and perform certain actions without the ball.

The other stuff doesn't actually matter, because it's not as important as correctly following the process - and if everyone correctly followed the process like Ned does, all the other stuff would be fixed anyway.

Most corporate environments are exactly this toxic and incompetently led, though some are even worse, given the behaviour of the club in other areas matches the same profile it wouldn't surprise if the football department is just as bad.

This is a terrible take. "the other stuff doesn't matter"... what

It's not a corporate environment, it's a sporting team where winning is the objective, and the way he plays, plays a role in hindering that.

Fumbling, turnovers, missing tackles, they're all such momentum killers. That turnover from the Fog handball was embarrassing.

Last edited:
This is a terrible take. "the other stuff doesn't matter"... what

It's not a corporate environment, it's a sporting team where winning is the objective, and the way he plays, plays a role in hindering that.

Fumbling, turnovers, missing tackles, they're all such momentum killers. That turnover from the Fog handball was embarrassing.

Wonder if it was a Crouch playing like this the tune would change.
I read that as him taking the piss out of Nicks thinking

Injury is the major reason. Last year we preferred Murphy here, who for the most part, was a productive bottom forward.

Why is McHenry in the 23-27 slots of our list? He'll work the lines hard which is something we want in our bottom slots, on top of offering some degree of toughness to a lineup - after all, this is a kid you can trust will put his head over the ball. Equally, you're at the slots of the lineup where it really is just about following instructions, and trying to find a niche that makes life as easy as possible for your main guys. Ned also benefits a touch from half forward being a weird position that most players who can play it end up moving away from which does allow less talented players to find a niche.

Will Ned be on our list next year? Probably not. Being in those 23-27 slots is usually a career death sentence after 5-6 years.

You’ve identified why our philosophies will see us never truly compete for multiple years. The 20-27 group are set aside for well drilled, AFL fit fringe players. We build and retain this group and favour them ahead of a new kid with talent, decent form and potential every time a genuine selection decision arrives. It’s a big block of players to jump over.

And as we’ve seen with Curtin, even though he couldn’t possibly be denied a debut, it was still a pre-planned sub off for a cooked Brodie Smith. Who came on fresh for 26% TOG and contributed 2 disposals. Extrapolates out to 6 disposals at 82% TOG. And looks like 1 was a point kick in as he had only the 1 actual possession. Curtin can’t even stay on the ground for that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back