News New Bulldogs logo

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll think you find that over time the demand will become lower and lower as the people who grew up with the Footscray name become older and people like myself who grew up with the Western Bulldogs moniker become members and stakeholders and have no emotional attachment to the Footscray name. Winning a flag under the WB name will be interesting however and may raise the question again.
Should never have changed it in the first place. was it the club that changed it or was it the AFL that forced the change?
i was only 13 years old at the end of 97.... i remember hearing apparently the change of name would be more appealing. im a fan of tradition. shame it will never be changed back.

Should never have changed it in the first place. was it the club that changed it or was it the AFL that forced the change?
i was only 13 years old at the end of 97.... i remember hearing apparently the change of name would be more appealing. im a fan of tradition. shame it will never be changed back.
Have you seen Year of the Dog?
Our 96 season was such a shambles that we almost needed a new beginning and a fresh start. Since we've changed to the WB, we've made finals series 8 times, and played in 5 preliminary finals.

Our 96 season was such a shambles that we almost needed a new beginning and a fresh start. Since we've changed to the WB, we've made finals series 8 times, and played in 5 preliminary finals.
yeah i have seen that, seen that as a teenager 16 or 17 years ago and watched it not long ago again on youtube. true, the club was a mess.. but i dont think a name changed caused your turn around in 97/98 when you made the last 4.. better coach, few new recruits and better luck. Anyway at least you guys kept your history, colours and bulldogs image. Footscray/western bulldogs still the same club.
i wondered when i watched that year of the dogs doco the other month... i wonder if that old lady is still alive that they followed around for the year?

Our 2003 was just as bad and our 2014 ain't much better.
We made two grand finals as Footscray. We brought it back in the VFL and won a flag. See I can selectively attribute unrelated results to our name too.
To JPetro83 you are right our name should never have changed. And very well may be changed back at some point. But it won't be for a long time yet.

Our 2003 was just as bad and our 2014 ain't much better.
We made two grand finals as Footscray. We brought it back in the VFL and won a flag. See I can selectively attribute unrelated results to our name too.
To JPetro83 you are right our name should never have changed. And very well may be changed back at some point. But it won't be for a long time yet.
That was in the 50's and sixties.
We also changed from being second bottom only to Fitzroy who then merged in 1996, to nearly into the Grand Final 1997 in the very same offseason taht we changed our name.

That was in the 50's and sixties.
We also changed from being second bottom only to Fitzroy who then merged in 1996, to nearly into the Grand Final 1997 in the very same offseason taht we changed our name.
We made finals in 94 and 95. 96 was an aberration.
Seriously. It's just a name. It didn't make us a better side.

12 months on, how are we feeling about the "new" logo? I must admit that it has grown on me. I still think it will become outdated relatively quickly but it has been utilised really well by the club in terms of their media/merchandise.

Although whoever decided to put it on the member's scarf should probably have a good, hard look at themselves. Horrendous.

12 months on, how are we feeling about the "new" logo? I must admit that it has grown on me. I still think it will become outdated relatively quickly but it has been utilised really well by the club in terms of their media/merchandise.

Although whoever decided to put it on the member's scarf should probably have a good, hard look at themselves. Horrendous.
Like the logo. Has the connotation of a young team ready to embark on something special.

I like a lot of the new logo, but looking back through our logos I reckon the stout bulldog is the best of all the bulldogs. Because you can clearly make it out. I still have to look closely to see where the rest of the bulldogs body is.
Maybe the stout bulldog could be on an alternate version. The cats have two (a cats face and sometimes a profile of the whole cat) and it work for them.

I am pretty comfortable with the logo. It looks good in the banners around the ground and the video animations. I hate the creep of the cartoon logo back onto the jumper though. Our clash jumper is shameful.

yeah i have seen that, seen that as a teenager 16 or 17 years ago and watched it not long ago again on youtube. true, the club was a mess.. but i dont think a name changed caused your turn around in 97/98 when you made the last 4.. better coach, few new recruits and better luck. Anyway at least you guys kept your history, colours and bulldogs image. Footscray/western bulldogs still the same club.
i wondered when i watched that year of the dogs doco the other month... i wonder if that old lady is still alive that they followed around for the year?
That lady is indeed still alive and i regularly see her down at training, the both of them. Only twigged it was them late last year though when i re-watched the doco myself.

I actually love it, and have from the start. For me, as a mid 20s guy, i saw it as a new beginning, turning the corner if you will. Since then we've gathered a fair bit of momentum on and off the field. How long it lasts though is anyone's guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am pretty comfortable with the logo. It looks good in the banners around the ground and the video animations. I hate the creep of the cartoon logo back onto the jumper though. Our clash jumper is shameful.
There are a lot of good clash jumpers out this year, unfortunately we are not one of them.

Really liking the new logo 12 months on.
The design of the dog allows for a premiership cup to be added (the dog holding it) which helps with my tattoo design when we win one

That lady is indeed still alive and i regularly see her down at training, the both of them. Only twigged it was them late last year though when i re-watched the doco myself.
Thanks for letting me know.. wow she must be well into her 90s now. I actually seen her daughter late last year on the footy show as a guest in the audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

News New Bulldogs logo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back