PC2011/12RP New Kids on the block, GWS story (SAVE CORUPTED)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

New Team brings competition shake-up 1/1/2017

The AFL has today dropped 2 massive bombshells in a press conference. The first is the relocation and rebranding of the Gold Coast Suns.
"It's what we call a failed business venture, simply put Gold Coast FC were not producing enough money or participation numbers to warrant keeping them around, they were bringing us nothing but shame," AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan stated, "With this means that Gold Coast FC will be relocated to the Western Suburbs of Sydney and be rebranded the Greater Western Sydney Giants. Of course, we want the competition to be fair for all teams and we witnessed with Gold Coast that their introduction hampered them, so this time around we are wiping all of the club lists and having a league-wide draft, the order will be randomly picked here today."
This was a shock to the wider AFL community, no one could believe what had been announced. The order of the draft was randomly generated on a computer program and goes as follows;
1.Western Bulldogs
2. Hawthorn
3. North Melbourne
4. Essendon
5. Geelong
6. Fremantle
7.Adelaide
8. Collingwood
9. Melbourne
10. Port Adelaide
11. West Coast Eagles
12. Greater Western Sydney
13. Brisbane
14. Richmond
15. St.Kilda
16. Sydney
17. Carlton

Leon Cameron confirmed GWS inaugural coach 1/1/2017
Leon Cameron has been confirmed as the first ever coach of the new AFL team Greater Western Sydney, Cameron elected to carry over the original Gold Coast backroom staff with the exception of introducing Mark Thompson as his Midfield and Stoppage coach.
"How exciting is it to be the first coach of GWS?" One reporter asked
"It's obviously a massive honour and an extremely exciting opportunity, I feel like I can really shape this team into a formidable team that can be a real threat," Cameron responded.
"With the list refreshes of the league and the draft later today, what is your strategy?"
"I don't want to reveal too much just yet, but we'll be largely going for best available to start with and then look at getting some real quality youth into the team, we're looking for the happy medium of experience and youth."

Treloar goes Pick 1, no real surprises 1/1/2017
Adam Treloar, formally of Collingwood has gone at pick 1 to the Western Bulldogs, who were largely tipped to take young superstar Marcus Bontempelli, the first round went as follows;
1. Adam Treloar (Western Bulldogs) - Previously Collingwood
2. Nat Fyfe (Hawthorn) - Previously Fremantle
3.Dustin Martin (North Melbourne) - Previously Richmond
4. Marcus Bontempelli (Essendon) - Previously Western Bulldogs
5. Daniel Hannebry (Geelong) - Previously Sydney
6. Luke Parker (Fremantle) - Previously Sydney
7. Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide) - Previously Geelong
8. Lachie Neale (Collingwood) - Previously Fremantle
9. Josh P.Kennedy (Melbourne) - Previously Sydney
10. Dyson Heppell (Port) - Previously Essendon
11. Max Gawn (WCE) - Previously Melbourne
12. Lance Franklin (GWS) - Previously Sydney
13. Scott Pendlebury (Brisbane) - Previously Collingwood
14. Joel Selwood (Richmond) - Previously Geelong
15. Robbie Gray (St.Kilda) - Previously Port Adelaide
16. Tom Lynch (Sydney) - Previously Gold Coast
17. Luke Dahlhaus (Carlton) - Previously Western Bulldogs

GWS initial list shows promising future 2/1/2017
The very first GWS list is one that many coaches would be in envy of as they came away from the draft with some of the premier players of the competition, but also with some of the most promising young talent on offer.
"It's really an ideal situation for us, we got most of the players we wanted at the picks we had, there's defintley some guys that we skipped on at certain picks that we're unsure about but I back my recruitment team in those situations," Leon Cameron commented on the draft haul, "I'm really happy we got our spine sorted early, that was our number one priority, then number 2 was securing some really promising youngsters and number 3 was to get some more experienced heads into the team, that have shown interest in coaching roles in the future."
The inaugural GWS list is as follows;
1. Lance Franklin
2. Daniel Talia (Captain)
3. Nic Naitanui
4. Kade Simpson
5. Issac Heeney (Vice-Captain)
6. Peter Wright
7. Brodie Grundy
8. Jacob Weitering
9. Jordan De Goey
10. Kade Kolodjasnij
11. Dom Sheed
12. Andrew McGrath
13. Jack Billings
14. Wayne Milera
15. Jade Gresham
16. Christian Petracca
17. Hugh McCluggage
18. Darcy Byrne-Jones
19. Lachie Weller
20. Caleb Marchbank
21. Luke McDonald
22. Josh Schace
23. Clayton Oliver
24. Hugh Goddard
25. Harry McKay
26. Darcy Cameron
27. Jy Simpkin
28. Jack Scrimshaw
29. Daniel Venables
30. Jesse Palmer
31. Alex Witherden
32. Jordan Gallucci
33. Brandon Parfitt
34. Kobe Mutch
35. Myles Polhoke
36. Jake Spencer
37. Callum Brown
38. Jake Barrett

JLT Community series Week 1
GWS v St.Kilda

GWS 22:

B: Simpson Marchbank Weitering
HB: Byrne-Jones Talia Kolodjasnij
C: McCluggage Heeney Gresham
HF: Weller Franklin Milera
F: Grundy Wright Sheed
RR: Naitanuai McGrath De Goey
I/C: Oliver Billings Petracca
S: McDonald
EMG: Goddard Venables Parfitt

GWS: 5.3 9.4 14.5 17.8 110
STK: 3.0 9.2 12.4 17.7 109

Goals:
GWS: Franklin 3, Wright 3, Weller 2, Kolo 2, De Goey 2, Byrne-Jones 1, Naitanui 1, Grundy 1, McCluggage 1, Simpson 1
St.Kilda: Elton 4, Ryder 2, Masten 2, N.Jones 2, Dickson 1, Pittard 1, Plowman 1, Lycett 1, Green 1, Tippa 1, Duggan 1

Disposals:
GWS: Petracca 30, Oliver 27, Gresham 26, De Goey 25, Franklin 23
St.Kilda: Duggan 32, N.Jones 31, D.Beams 31, Armitage 26, Grigg 25

Post Match Interview
R: So GWS' first ever match and it was a very tight win, how are you after that?
LC: Obviously it was very stressful to watch since we did have such a large lead but really I'm happy to come out of it with a win, our team is the youngest in the competition so naturally we will make mistakes and slip up but ultimately we kept the lead and won, even if it was by such a slim margin

R: This result sees you take on Collingwood next week, any changes you'll make going into that one?
LC: You make changes every week based on the team you play. I'll be giving a couple of other players a chance to impress against a strong side but apart from that we'll continue to play the way we want to play and back ourselves to have that see us through

JLT Community series Week 2
Collingwood vs GWS

GWS 22:

B: McDonald Marchbank Weitering
HB: Byrne-Jones Talia Kolodjasnij
C: McCluggage Heeney Gresham
HF: Weller Franklin Simpkin
RR: Naitanuai McGrath De Goey
I/C: Oliver Billings Venables
S: Simpson
EMG: Goddard Petracca Parfitt

Collingwood: 5.0 11.1 16.3 19.3 117
GWS: 5.2 8.6 11.10 15.13 103

Goals:
Collingwood: Hogan 4, Sidebottom 2, Pierce 2, C.Rioli 2, Picken 2, L.Thomas 2, Markov 1, J J Kennedy 1, Neale 1, Rohan 1, Gardiner 1
GWS: Franklin 4, Grundy 3, McCluggage 2, Weller 2, Talia 1, Oliver 1, McGrath 1, Wright 1

Disposals:
Collingwood: Crisp 32, Neale 28, Seedsman 28, Salem 27, Sidebottom 24
GWS: De Goey 37, Oliver 29, Venables 28, McGrath 27, Heeney 23

Post Match Interview
R: Well Leon after such a promising start you're defeated a week later, how's morale throughout the team and how do you plan to bounce back?
LC: Morale is fine, losing is a part of footy, no one goes through an AFL career without experiencing some sort of defeat and it's good for our younger boys to understand that early. We'll bounce back as every team does, we're just gonna have to train harder and study our opponents better

R: What went wrong today?
LC: We just got bullied, physically and mentally ey were stronger than us and they took advantage of that, you could see the players on our side that were mentally stronger today are the ones that did outstanding like Jordan De Goey, Lance Franklin and Brody Grundy, guys that weren't scared

Season Odds announced by Bookmakers
The Bookies have released there odds for the premiership and it's good news if you are a Melbourne fan with the Dees favourite to hoist the premiership cup at the end of the year, this is what the top 8 is expected to look like:
Melbourne $2
Adelaide, Freo, Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane $6
North Melbourne, Richmond $25

Round 1 v Carlton
B: McDonald Weitering Marchbank
HB: Byrne-Jones Talia K.Kolo
C: Weller Heeney Gresham
HF: Venables Franklin Simpkin
R: Naitanui McGrath De Goey
Sub: Scrimshaw
EMG: Goddard Galluci Milera

Carlton: 3.3 11.4 13.5 17.6 108
GWS: 5.5 11.6 13.7 17.9 111

Goals
Carlton; Day 5, Westhoff 5, Palmer 2, S.Hill 1, T.Lynch 1, Nankervis 1, Dahlhaus 1, Sloane 1
GWS; Wright 5, Franklin 4, De Goey 1, Weller 1, Simpkin 1, McDonald 1, Venables 1, Billings 1, Talia 1, Naitanui 1,

Disposals
Carlton; B.Crouch 34, Hanley 32, Sloane 27, Dahlhaus 26, Palmer 26
GWS; Oliver 28, Petracca 26, McGrath 25, Billings 24, Naitanui 23

Other Results

Fremantle 17.9 111 def Adelaide 15.10 100
Hawthorn 15.8 98 def by St.Kilda 17.10 112
Melbourne 18.5 113 def by Brisbane 19.6 120
Western Bulldogs 18.9 117 def Collingwood 17.5 107
Sydney 10.10 70 def by Geelong 17.11 113
West Coast 17.10 112 def Port Adelaide 9.13 67
Essendon 15.8 98 def by North Melbourne 16.12 108

Round Report
Rising Star Nominee: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Melbourne)
Leading Goal Kicker: Jarryd Roughhead 6 goals (Melbourne)
Media Award Leader: Tom Hawkins (Essendon)

Post Match interview
R: The first ever match for premiership points for GWS and you've come away with a victory, you must feel really accomplished after that
LC: Definitely we feel good and there is a buzz amongst the group in the dressing room, it's always good to win, but add to that we beat a proud club with a lot of history on their home deck, it doesn't get much better than that to be honest with you

R: There was a sense of hostility from the opposition today, how do you feel your team handled that and do you expect other opponents to continue it?
LC: I felt the boys stood up really well considering how physical and aggressive the opposition were, it was a proud moment for the coaching team seeing the boys come above it really. I think after how we dealt with it today that other teams will realise there isn't much point because it won't faze us

R: And finally Kade Simpson and Hugh McCluggage were unavailable due to injury today, do you expect them to slot straight back in when fully fit?
LC: They're going to have to make pretty strong cases for themselves at training to slot straight into the team, we performed well without them so we're happy to make them work hard to get into our best 22

Round 2 v Hawthorn
C: Weller Oliver Gresham
F: Naitanui Wright Sheed
R: Grundy McGrath De Goey
I/C: Heeney Billings Petracca
Sub: Scrimshaw
EMG: Goddard Galluci Milera

GWS: 3.1 8.1 13.5 18.7 115
Hawthorn: 4.2 9.5 15.7 16.10 106

Goals
GWS; Wright 5, Franklin 3, McGrath 3, Naitanui 2, Venables 2, Marchbank 1, Oliver 1, Weller 1
Hawthorn; Dear 5, Vickery 2, K.Langford 2, Shiels 2, Cheney 1, Leslie 1, Matera 1, Cripps 1, M. Weller 1

Disposals
GWS; Heeney 37, De Goey 27, Petracca 25, Franklin 23, Weller 21
Hawthorn; Cripps 39, Fyfe 37, M.Weller 28, Mills 26, Wallis 26

Other results

Adelaide 16.10 106 def Essendon 13.10 88
St.Kilda 13.11 89 def by Richmond 14.9 93
Melbourne 15.11 101 def Carlton 15.9 99
Western Bulldogs 12.12 84 def by Brisbane 17.11 113
Geelong 20.7 127 def Collingwood 13.8 86
Port Adelaide 13.10 88 def by Sydney 19.7 121
North Melbourne 17.8 110 def West Coast 14.10 94

Round Report:
Rising star nominee: Marc Pittonet (Collingwood)
Leading Goal kicker: Peter Wright 10 goals (GWS)
Media Award Leader: Scott Pendlebury (Brisbane)

Post Match Interview
R: Another win for your young side, this week by a more comfortable margin are you now more confident than you were last week?
LC: Not particularly, I still feel as if we have more to prove and more to bring to the table, but the win is still a nice result

R: Peter Wright had another good day in front of goal today, it must be reassuring knowing that you have both him and Franklin who are both deadly in front of goals
LC: Yes it is, it means our midfielders are more confident giving it off to our main targets inside 50. Buddy is great to have around as he is really having an impact on the young forwards, helping them learn and understand the game structure and what to do in different scenarios.

R: You decided to switch Brody Grundy and Nic Naitanui in roles today, which paid off, what inspired this move?
LC: Curiousity mainly. We knew that Nic Nat has an amazing goal sense, so we thought we'd try him in the role we had planned for Brody to fill and we're certainly glad we did after their reespective performances today

Round 3 v Richmond
B: McDonald Weitering MarchbankFtig
C: Weller Heeney Gresham
Sub: Simpson
EMG: Goddard McCluggage Milera

Richmond: 5.2 5.4 10.7 13.9 87
GWS: 6.1 8.3 14.3 20.7 127

Goals
Richmond; Darling 3, MaCrae 2, Pederson 2, Z. Clarke 2, Shuey 1, Wines 1, Puopolo 1, I.Smith 1
GWS; Naitanui 5, Wright 3, Franklin 3, Sheed 2, Weitering 2, Kolodjasnij 2, De Goey 1, Simpkin 1, Gresham 1

Disposals
Richmond; J.Selwood 39, I.Smith 30, B.Goddard 28, Lang 25, MaCrae 23
GWS; Petracca 33, Weller 32, McGrath 28, Heeney 28, Franklin 23

Other Results

Brisbane 19.5 119 def Geelong 18.6 114
Sydney 11.11 77 def by North Melbourne 21.9 135
Hawthorn 18.4 112 def Melbourne 12.9 111
Essendon 15.10 100 def by Fremantle 16.9 105
Carlton 18.6 114 def Western Bulldogs 14.9 93
Adelaide 16.6 102 def by West Coast 21.6 132
Collingwood 16.6 102 def by Port Adelaide 16.10 106

Round Report
Rising Star Nominee: Ben Ainsworth (Melbourne)
Leading Goal Kicker: Peter Wright 13 goals (GWS)

Port Match report
R: An absolute dominating performance here today, how are the boys feeling after such a big win?
LC: I imagine that they'd all be feeling pretty happy with themselves, as they should, but they also need to understand that they need to keep their heads on their shoulders, there is still plenty of work to do and plenty of time for wins like this to mean nothing.

R: We haven't seen many results like this so far this season, can we expect to see more?
LC: I don't want to get overconfident, but it's what we aim to do every week, win by as much as we can.

Round 4 v St.Kilda
C: Weller Heeney McCluggage
HF: Petracca Franklin Simpkin
F: Naitanui Wright Sheed
R: Grundy McGrath De Goey
I/C: Oliver Billings Venables
Sub: Simpson
EMG: Goddard Gresham H.McKay

St.Kilda 3.4 6.4 11.6 14.7 91
GWS 6.0 10.1 18.4 21.7 133

Goals
St.Kilda;
Elton 3, Duggan 2, McDonald-Tipungwuti 2, R.Gray 2, Green 1, Lamb 1, Harbrow 1, M.McCarthy 1, Masten 1
GWS; Franklin 4, McCluggage 3, Kolodjashnij 3, Wright 2, Oliver 2, McGrath 2, Sheed 2, Byrne-Jones 2, Venables 1

Disposals
St.Kilda;
R.Gray 38, Armitage 33, N.Jones 31, Masten 24, Duggan 22
GWS; Heeney 33, Venables 31, Billings 26, McCluggage 25, Franklin 23

Other Results

Geelong 17.10 112 def Carlton 11.11 77
Adelaide 15.12 102 def Sydney 13.9 87
Port Adelaide 13.11 89 def by Brisbane 15.9 99
Melbourne 18.9 117 def Richmond 14.10 94
Fremantle 14.14 98 def West Coast 12.11 83
Western Bulldogs 14.9 93 def by Hawthorn 15.11 101
North Melbourne 15.11 101 def Collingwood 14.8 92

Round Report
Rising Star Nominee:
Daniel Venables (GWS)
Leading Goal Kicker: S.Crameri 15 goals (Brisbane)

Port Match interview
R: Yet another dominating performance against St.Kilda, what is your secret?
LC: I don't have any secrets, we just developed a gameplan around the list we have and got the players onboard, apart from that we just keep our team morale up and have a bit of fun with it

R: Lance Franklin seems to have been slow to start this season but kicked 4 today, you must be happy to see this sort of improvement
LC: I wouldn't say he's had a slow start, he's just been outshined by Peter Wright recently, but I'm always happy to see one of my Key Forwards kicking goals

Big Blow for GWS as Grundy injured at training
A massive blow for GWS today as Ruckman Brody Grundy was seen leaving the training ground early after seeming sore after a ruck contests against teammate Nic Naitanui, when asked about the injury Leon Cameron commented, "At the moment it just looks like a strain but he'll be sent for scans to confirm the full extent of the injury."
Later on the GWS website it was confirmed Grundy had a small tear in his left groin and would be out for at least 3 weeks

Round 5 BYE

Pendlebury Injured, Lions unhappy
In today's contest against North Melbourne, Brisbane star Scott Pendlebury was injured in a contest, early reports show that it is a back strain and that he will be out for about 8 weeks, when asked about the inciddent Chris Fagan had this to say, "Well it's just the reputation that North Melbourne have built, they're known for bullying and sometimes they go too far, this is just one example."

Other Results

West Coast 19.6 120 def Essendon 18.8 116
Brisbane 10.13 73 def by North Melbourne 17.10 112
St.Kilda 15.6 96 def by Melbourne 16.13 109
Hawthorn 14.5 89 def by Geelong 18.12 120
Sydney 12.9 81 def by Fremantle 19.12 126
Collingwood 18.5 113 def by Adelaide 21.7 133
Carlton 12.9 81 def by Port Adelaide 18.9 117
Richmond 18.8 def Western Bulldogs 15.6 96

Round Report
Rising Star Nominee:
Jack Silvagni (Fremantle)
Leading Goal Kicker: Jarryd Roughead 20 goals (Melbourne)
Media Award Leader: Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide)

Round 6 v Melbourne
F: D.Cameron Wright Sheed
I/C: Oliver Billings Simpson
Sub: H.McKay
EMG: Goddard Gresham Venables

Melbourne 3.5 7.6 10.6 17.9 111
GWS 3.1 7.4 13.5 17.5 107

Goals
Melbourne;
Stringer 4, Petrevski-Seton 2, S.Higgins 2, Roughead 2, Sexton 2, Tuohy 1, Rance 1, Holmes 1, O'Meara 1, B.Smith 1
GWS; Franklin 7, Wright 3, D.Cameron 2, Weitering 1, McCluggage 1, Oliver 1, Marchbank 1, De Goey 1

Disposals
Melbourne;
Josh P. Kennedy 40, S.Mitchell 32, Sexton 30, B.Smith 29, O'Meara 28
GWS; Venables 26, Heeney 25, Naitanui 23, De Goey 22, Marchbank 21

Other results

Geelong 17.8 110 def Richmond 14.8 92
Port Adelaide 17.9 111 def Hawthorn 15.9 99
Essendon 17.8 110 def Sydney 13.12 90
Adelaide 16.9 105 def by Brisbane 17.5 107
North Melbourne 21.4 130 def Carlton 15.9 99
Western Bulldogs 13.10 88 def by St.Kilda 20.6 126
Fremantle 17.11 113 def by Collingwood 19.3 117

Round Report
Rising star nominee:
Caleb Marchbank (GWS)
Leading Goal kicker: Charlie Dixon 25 goals (Adelaide)
Media Award leader: Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide)

Post match interview
R: You're first loss for the year, it's come a lot later than expected
LC: Well it's a part of footy, I'm happy that we managed to delay a loss to until this point in the season. Today was disappointing, considering how close it was and the fact we had the lead at various important moments in the game makes it even more painful, but the group will learn from these experiences more than when we win

R: I know you don't want to dwell on individual performances but Lance Franklin with a massive 7 goals today, how good was that for you?
LC: It's fantastic that he can and does do things like that, but I'm sure he would give up all of those for the win, which is what we want more than anything else

Round 7 v Western Bulldogs
I/C: Oliver Billings Simpson
Sub: H.McKay
EMG: Goddard Gresham Venables
(K.Kolo reported attempted strike, no suspension)

Western Bulldogs 3.4 7.6 9.8 13.10 88
GWS 5.4 7.8 10.11 16.12 108

Goals
Bulldogs;
Wells 4, L.Jones 2, Houli 1, Abbott 1, Breust 1, Walters 1, Tunbridge 1, Colyer 1, M.Murphy 1
GWS; Franklin 4, Weller 3, Petracca 2, Wright 2, McGrath 1, Cameron 1, De Goey 1, Sheed 1, Weitering

Disposals
Bulldogs;
Treloar 40, Wells 29, Parish 28, Rockliff 25, M.Murphy 25
GWS; Heeney 37, De Goey 26, McGrath 26, Venables 23, Franklin 22

Other results

Brisbane 17.6 108 def Fremantle 14.13 97
Geelong 17.10 112 def St.Kilda 16.7 103
Richmond 22.3 135 def Port Adelaide 14.7 91
Carlton 21.6 132 def Adelaide 14.7 91
Collingwood 15.13 103 def Essendon 16.6 102
Hawthorn 16.6 102 def North Melbourne 14.12 96
Sydney 18.8 116 def West Coast 17.8 110

Round report
Rising Star Nominee:
Malcolm Karpany (St.Kilda)
Leading Goal Kicker: Charlie Dixon 31 Goals (Adelaide)
Media Award Leader: Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back