Multiplat NHL 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Really tempted to get it but with so much coming out makes it difficult. Once the WHL season kicks off and the Rockets win a few games I may be swayed into buying!

Bought it today, my first NHL game and finding it quite enjoyable. Will absolutely flog it this weekend to pass the time until GTA V.

Enjoying it. Hitting is a bit overpowered but it isn't a simple tuning of the sliders. The hits are a lot more varied now they use the full physics system that Fifa has had the last couple of years. There is also a hardcore simulation where every stick and skate collision is simulated, but that could be tough. Make no mistake the jump to what I would call real physics is very big

Skating is also better tuned. Guys can't skate back as fast so you can really skate forward quicker on offence.

Nhl 14 mode I'll never touch. Live the life is half baked relative to the off court stuff of NBA but the gameplay is still fun and lets face it, hockey smashes basketball.

What I don't like is the lack of attention given to non nhl rosters. My Geneva team has guys on it from 2 seasons ago. The Canadian goalies are Brodeur and Luongo.

The NHL legends team is literally Wayne Gretsky, Mario Lemieux and then the rest are current stars. I barely see the point. Didn't they used to have Gordie Howe and others? Licencing issues I'm sure but still half baked.

Overall still very fun. Clearly people are looking to next gen and I'd be surprised if the live the life more made it there in the same form but the physics improvements are big. Needs less power on hits though.

Oh and fighting is ace this year and a big tactical element. Can't just go around hitting star players cheaply.

Enjoying it. Hitting is a bit overpowered but it isn't a simple tuning of the sliders. The hits are a lot more varied now they use the full physics system that Fifa has had the last couple of years. There is also a hardcore simulation where every stick and skate collision is simulated, but that could be tough. Make no mistake the jump to what I would call real physics is very big

Oh and fighting is ace this year and a big tactical element. Can't just go around hitting star players cheaply.

Did you play 13? If you did, is it a clear jump?

Did you play 13? If you did, is it a clear jump?

I had lots of fun with NHL 13, playing three full GM mode seasons (I play every game, not a single sim). From that, this is not revolutionary and I haven't hit a GM mode yet but it definitely is fun.

If you really wanted to save your pennies, you could keep enjoying NHL 13, but one of the best aspects is online and the NHL 13 community will die.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the online modes like? I get my NHL 14 in a few days

I have been playing NHL 14 online with a few 1v1 matches but largely with the EA Sports Hockey League in drop-in matches. It's amazing when you have 12 good players who actually pass and aren't selfish. It can suck if you get a rubbish goalie, but sometimes he will quit after letting in a few goals and gets replaced by a much better AI goalie.

I'd imagine if I had a lots of friends online in the same team it'd be even better.

I have been playing NHL 14 online with a few 1v1 matches but largely with the EA Sports Hockey League in drop-in matches. It's amazing when you have 12 good players who actually pass and aren't selfish. It can suck if you get a rubbish goalie, but sometimes he will quit after letting in a few goals and gets replaced by a much better AI goalie.

I'd imagine if I had a lots of friends online in the same team it'd be even better.

Yeah it would be awesome to play regular drop in matches with the same people and focus on a position...I plan on focusing on playing as a defender and becoming a beast at it

Yeah it would be awesome to play regular drop in matches with the same people and focus on a position...I plan on focusing on playing as a defender and becoming a beast at it

For that you'd be better forming an official team. I only play defence but as a two way defender so I try to sneak forward for a goal.

Never made the jump from NHL 12 to 13, but I decided to grab 14 and am enjoying it a lot. I played NHL 12 from release right until about a week before NHL 14. Just kept coming back to it after a month or two off.

Is there a way to not have my guy fight after he lays a big hit on an opposition player? Having my captain Jamie Benn get in a fight with a minute left on the clock in the 3rd with the scores tied, after laying a legal hit is frustrating. It seems like I have to decide between laying a huge hit or not laying one at all with no middle ground. If I lay the hits then I spend half the game fighting.In NHL 12 it felt like you had more control over the extent of the hit you were trying to lay.

In the last game I played Benn got in a fight and was knocked out with the first punch, that was really cool. I love the fighting system, just not the frequency of it after hits. The guy wouldn't fight him again once he got back on the ice resulting in roughing call or unsportsmanlike, one of those.. Giving him more time to sit and think about how he got KTFO. He still ended up with the first star.

Would also like it to be a bit more easy to take guys to the ground, I think if they increased the wrestling to the ground and decreased the amount of knockouts it would be a lot more realistic.

I also like how poke checks are actually effective now, the puck is a lot more in dispute now leaving things really cool and frantic at certain stages. Though I had about 5 tripping calls in a row in one game whilst getting use to poke checking haha.

Never made the jump from NHL 12 to 13, but I decided to grab 14 and am enjoying it a lot. I played NHL 12 from release right until about a week before NHL 14. Just kept coming back to it after a month or two off.

Is there a way to not have my guy fight after he lays a big hit on an opposition player? Having my captain Jamie Benn get in a fight with a minute left on the clock in the 3rd with the scores tied, after laying a legal hit is frustrating. It seems like I have to decide between laying a huge hit or not laying one at all with no middle ground. If I lay the hits then I spend half the game fighting.In NHL 12 it felt like you had more control over the extent of the hit you were trying to lay.

In the last game I played Benn got in a fight and was knocked out with the first punch, that was really cool. I love the fighting system, just not the frequency of it after hits. The guy wouldn't fight him again once he got back on the ice resulting in roughing call or unsportsmanlike, one of those.. Giving him more time to sit and think about how he got KTFO. He still ended up with the first star.

Would also like it to be a bit more easy to take guys to the ground, I think if they increased the wrestling to the ground and decreased the amount of knockouts it would be a lot more realistic.

I also like how poke checks are actually effective now, the puck is a lot more in dispute now leaving things really cool and frantic at certain stages. Though I had about 5 tripping calls in a row in one game whilst getting use to poke checking haha.

If you are playing offline you can simply tone down the fighting frequency slider. I find that forced fights can be a bit annoying at times but on the other hand it is nice to have a bit more consequence for your hits. If you smash an opposition star, legal or not, they will come after you!

Online is quite fun for that with Be A Pro mode. As a big checking defender I am often given the option of fighting someone after they have done a hit or something dirty like shooting after the whistle. Given that you have to sit out and do nothing for 5 minutes, the opposition player will often regret that move when I initiate a fight against them and they have no way of backing out. If I am in the penalty box I just go and clean the kitchen or prepare dinner :D

Actually on that, I once got sent out of an online game after 3 minutes. This means you either watch from the penalty box all game or you quit. We were leading 2-0 already and I wanted the win to boost my XP (wins are needed to go up the levels) so I just put down the controller and did some housework.

Have looked at the fighting frequency slider but options were either full, halfway or nothing at all and I thought if I put the slider all the way down then I'll have no fights at all. At the moment it's halfway, which is the default.

Just had another game then and was getting smashed by Anaheim, then I finally lay a hit with Benn to give myself a little boost and what do you know I now lose my captain for five minutes for fighting a goon because CPU can't handle a hit. I like the thought/realism of fights breaking out after a star player is heavily hit but this just seems to be overkill. I know that fights are supposed to give your players some boost but I prefer the mental boost a hit gives me as a player rather than the small boost my team stats or whatever get from seeing their captain demolish a no name loser in a fight.

Maybe if I turn the hit sliders down more it'll reduce the number of big hits and thus fights. Though in a game I played before I had a big hit layed on one of my star players and I opted to force a fight but the guy who did the hit from the other team refused to fight my guy and their goon stepped in and fought mine... Now I need to figure out if I can do that as it'll make life a lot easier.

All my issues are offline stuff.. I played NHL 12 online a bit but I would never be able to score after dominating a whole game... then I'd lose in a shootout or OT. Never cared for working on it as I prefer GM mode offline. Being a big checking defender in be a pro is all I'd be good for online. Would have to find something productive to do while my guy is in the penalty box :p

Havent played this series much over the past few years...kinda struggling with the scoring...I wish they had the fifa like practice mode when loading before games so I can practice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back