NICE

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Today Footscray are playing Fitzroy. Its the best thing I,ve seen in years.
If I was a billionaire I,d start up a VFL again with 12 clubs and pay a fortune for the best players in the country to play for the clubs , then I,d be happy. I might even make the game look like footy again, Kevin Bartlett would be jailed for former crimes as a rule changer along with his cronies.
I,d still look after blokes heads. I also wouldn,t have to listen to all the crap from people with tunnel vision from SA WA NSW QLD. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa . That is an evil laugh actually.

Despite a couple of tangents there, I appreciate what you're saying: Footscray still look so much like a VFL team, and up against Brisbane in that guernsey ... it must have felt a bit retro! The actual Fitzroy also had a big win at Brunswick Street today, so there'll be quite a flavour around the town down there tonight. Sigh ... memories of the Albion Charles ...

I've seen a practice match at Glenferrie, but never a premiership match there :(

It was a special moment today. At 3/4 time about 2,000+ Lions fans came down to behind the goals / near the players race to join about 1,000 of us who had been sitting there to join in the revelry in the last quarter. It reminded me a bit of the last Fitzroy win against Freo in that regard.

When they started the chant for Fitzroy in the fourth a huge shiver went up my spine. It is actually the first time I have heard that chant at an AFL game since the demise of Fitzroy (and believe me I have been to virtually every Lions match in Melbourne).

It was great to see that FFC jumper out their on display in the AFL once again. The Lions now have 3 wins out of 4 games playing in an FFC jumper over the years I think - maybe we should adopt it for the rest of the season and storm into the finals following the lead of our VAFA cousins!

1_13WBBL12DT%20774.jpg

I think I saw part of one of those other wins. I only saw 3 or 4 Brisbane matches, up to about 2001-ish, just to be with mates, and once to show the American missus an AFL level match (she'd seen plenty of Coburg-Fitzroy and a little of the Reds).

The most fun was definitely the one where Brisbane wore a retro Fitzroy guernsey v Collingwood in 2003, Brisbane kicked about 9 goals in the first quarter with Brown unstoppable. I had to leave at quarter time as I had an MSO performance of Mozart's Requiem I wanted to catch with the missus.

But the best part about that day was the curtain raiser, Fitzroy Reds versus some Brunswick team (Brunswick North?) who wore the Pies strip. Playing at the G must have been awesome for them (both teams), with the Redders having a comfortable victory (was a bit of a contest for two quarters, though).

The noise created by the Reds/Roys fans from our quarter of the stands was pure magic, and I'll never forget it.

It was a special moment today. At 3/4 time about 2,000+ Lions fans came down to behind the goals / near the players race to join about 1,000 of us who had been sitting there to join in the revelry in the last quarter. It reminded me a bit of the last Fitzroy win against Freo in that regard.

When they started the chant for Fitzroy in the fourth a huge shiver went up my spine. It is actually the first time I have heard that chant at an AFL game since the demise of Fitzroy (and believe me I have been to virtually every Lions match in Melbourne).

Wow.

I'll be downloading this game from Bigpond and watching it all the way through for no other reason than to hear the chanting from us Roys in the final term. 16 years since the last year in the AFL. We're still here and we always will be.

One day we'll be competing at a high level in our own right again too, I'm sure of it. Maybe not the AFL, although I'll never quite close the door on that possibility either...

I just watched the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and all of the last quarter. All of great goals are in the first period from close to the end of the 3rd to the first 10m of the 4th.

However the last 7 minutes of the match are special - not for the football though (it was well and truly junk time by then). A huge Lions call goes out with around 6 minutes and 30 seconds left. The Fitzroy chant is with about 5 minutes left. The scenes after the final siren when the players go to the crowd are also great.

That sounded awesome. I would love to have experienced that again.

In reading this thread my mind has wandered back to the late 80's/early 90's when there was a Rod Austin look-a-like who led the cheersquad. I always thought his throat would have been buggered by late August. Does anyone recall this figure and know his current whereabouts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just watched the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and all of the last quarter. All of great goals are in the first period from close to the end of the 3rd to the first 10m of the 4th.

However the last 7 minutes of the match are special - not for the football though (it was well and truly junk time by then). A huge Lions call goes out with around 6 minutes and 30 seconds left. The Fitzroy chant is with about 5 minutes left. The scenes after the final siren when the players go to the crowd are also great.

Looking for a link for those last ten minutes. Anyone know of one?

I couldn't agree more with this. Although I don't follow Brisbane I'd love to hear some of our old family in fine voice. Is there any chance someone can upload this footage onto our board?

Here's a snippet of it, at any rate...

Ah OK mate. Certainly was sweet though. And again, much kudos :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back