Switch Nintendo Switch - teaser trailer page 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be amazed if Nintendo went back to cartridges for a home console. They'd just be way to expensive to produce if the reading speed was anything worthwhile.

If they are going down the cartridge route it'll be for a handheld imo (which is the norm).

I'm guessing it will be a handheld that can be connected to a tv with a controller.

Replace disks with cartridges? that right there is why Nintendo are irrelevant.

Stop trying to be different and just make a damm normal console.
maybe they realised carts would be so much harder bordering in impossible to pirate. Plus they can be much smaller than discs, and solid memory is much cheaper, more energy efficient, quieter and more reliable (can't be scratched, no moving parts in the console to spin the disc). It actually makes really good sense when you think about it.

maybe they realised carts would be so much harder bordering in impossible to pirate. Plus they can be much smaller than discs, and solid memory is much cheaper, more energy efficient, quieter and more reliable (can't be scratched, no moving parts in the console to spin the disc). It actually makes really good sense when you think about it.

If the console/handheld/hybrid has any form of hard drive/memory (which it almost certainly will) along with downloadable titles (which it will have) then it will be just as much of a piracy risk as any other console.

The PSP had its own format and was a pirate's paradise, the 3DS was cracked open as well.

Just like every current console this will get cracked as well.

Until you get to the cost.

There's a lot of benefits that cartridges have and they have been proven to still be relevant for handhelds. But how on earth do you get Zelda U onto a cartridge big enough, fast enough and cheap enough?

If they can do it I'll take my hat off to them but I don't think the advantages outweigh the disadvantage of price.

Until you get to the cost.

There's a lot of benefits that cartridges have and they have been proven to still be relevant for handhelds. But how on earth do you get Zelda U onto a cartridge big enough, fast enough and cheap enough?

If they can do it I'll take my hat off to them but I don't think the advantages outweigh the disadvantage of price.
I don't see why cost is an issue. USB memory id cheap. Compare the cost of current full price game discs to the price of the ds cartridges. Nintendo also save so much money on the console itself because they don't need all the tech to spin and read discs. And usb3 already reads at 5gbps which is easily fast enough.

I don't see why cost is an issue. USB memory id cheap. Compare the cost of current full price game discs to the price of the ds cartridges. Nintendo also save so much money on the console itself because they don't need all the tech to spin and read discs. And usb3 already reads at 5gbps which is easily fast enough.
USB memory and/or cartridges aren't cheap at all though compared to a disk that is worth cents and extremely simple to make for and pump out. That's the argument pure and simple. The 3ds price isn't really a valid argument given the size of games. You need a much bigger and faster cartridge than that to run a AAA console game which would cost significantly more.

If they can get the cost down to something comparable to disks then absolutely they should go to cartridges imo. The pros would then way outweigh the cons.

What makes most sense to me though is that this is an NX handheld thing.

how long must The Speaker say that it won't be a simple handheld/home console?

this cloud storage/sharing + flash card route they're going down is surely so much cheaper for them than if they were to go to blu ray or whatever, it's always made sense to me since they had patents showing flash cart use. plus obviously if it's a portable device it makes sense too.

what if it's just one rewritable flash card and you have the games stored on cloud, accessible via multiple devices, you put the games on the card whenever you like and play them on whatever you like..? i'm slowly warming to the idea of having my games all on my console (or out in the cloud service) like a PC, it's just what you buy and own physically that I don't want to lose. i might even be okay with buying games in the future if they're download codes in a box but if the box has collectors edition kind of stuff in it, is this what people could want? that way you still get the best of both worlds, as I'm sure people don't miss the actual act of changing discs in your system but rather having something physical as a result of spending money.

Last edited:
this cloud storage/sharing + flash card route they're going down is surely so much cheaper for them than if they were to go to blu ray or whatever, it's always made sense to me since they had patents showing flash cart use. plus obviously if it's a portable device it makes sense too.

what if it's just one rewritable flash card and you have the games stored on cloud, accessible via multiple devices, you put the games on the card whenever you like and play them on whatever you like..? i'm slowly warming to the idea of having my games all on my console (or out in the cloud service) like a PC, it's just what you buy and own physically that I don't want to lose. i might even be okay with buying games in the future if they're download codes in a box but if the box has collectors edition kind of stuff in it, is this what people could want? that way you still get the best of both worlds, as I'm sure people don't miss the actual act of changing discs in your system but rather having something physical as a result of spending money.
What you've suggested isn't what I'd call a cartridge system. It's a digital system with a physical component that lets you move stuff between devices.

Personally I quite like that idea. Makes sense on a lot of levels but how big would it need to be and why not just allow stuff to be shared over the cloud anyway?

In terms of Cases with a download code- no thanks. What's the point? Just sell the collectors edition stuff separately if you're going down the digital route.

What you've suggested isn't what I'd call a cartridge system. It's a digital system with a physical component that lets you move stuff between devices.

Personally I quite like that idea. Makes sense on a lot of levels but how big would it need to be and why not just allow stuff to be shared over the cloud anyway?

In terms of Cases with a download code- no thanks. What's the point? Just sell the collectors edition stuff separately if you're going down the digital route.

true, there isn't too much of a need for the card option if it's all on cloud, they could offer the convenience though, not everyone has a smooth time doing stuff over wifi i guess.

people who buy collectors stuff still need the game though and ideally would get the game along with the goodies. maybe the download code could be something nicer ie. amiibo ??

If Nintendo were to go back to cartridges they cant use what's currently available in terms of storage they will need to develop their own ie 50gb or more.

they go big these days!!
19gw1g5rtc11ajpg.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nintendo's next-generation game console, the Nintendo NX is scheduled to enter mass production in early 2017, delaying about half a year from the company's original mass production plan in the mid-2016. Sources from the related upstream supply chain pointed out that the delay was because Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions.

The sources pointed out that the Nintendo NX combines the video gaming experience with the mobile gaming experience. The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system. Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market.

Nintendo's order volume for the game console has also been reduced. Nintendo originally planned to order 20 million units for the first year, but its shipment target is now only 9.5-10 million units. The sources believe the reduction was due to the fact that video game console market has been shrinking and concerns triggered by its Wii U's unsatisfactory shipment performance of two million units in 2015.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

Seems like its still going to be over 12 months away, since rumors had it as a March 2017 launch when mass production was set for mid 2016.

Nintendo jumping on the VR bandwagon, Xbox could be the last to join the party. but the 2nd paragraph doesnt have me excited for the NX. i hope its not like a VR Tablet rather then a legit console. since it points out it wants to be like mobile gaming experiences.

Hope its just another fake rumor.

USB memory and/or cartridges aren't cheap at all though compared to a disk that is worth cents and extremely simple to make for and pump out. That's the argument pure and simple. The 3ds price isn't really a valid argument given the size of games. You need a much bigger and faster cartridge than that to run a AAA console game which would cost significantly more.

If they can get the cost down to something comparable to disks then absolutely they should go to cartridges imo. The pros would then way outweigh the cons.

I would have thought that the price of games is the afterthought, if they can offer their console for cheaper because it is a box with a USB port and doesn't need to pay sony for bluray or design the extra laser reading tray into the machine, then maybe they secure market share early and games don't get sold for $125 for a 2c disk as much to compensate.

I hate to say it but Nintendo remind me of when Sega went out of business this new console better blow peoples mind but I doubt it.

Depends if they learn from the mistakes and stop having the casual gamer as the focus, that worked well for the Wii, but then the mobile gaming market exploded and there was little market for the Wii U.

A portable device that's on par or better than the Xbox and PS4 that can connect to a TV would be awesome.

Portable, well it would be awesome until you see the price it would cost. it would make the PS3 launch look like a decent price.

And they will need to have it more powerful then the PS4 otherwise they will be 3 years too late again with the Neo and new XBone coming in the next 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back