News Poster's Favorite Movies - Latest Movie Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Started watching Isle of Dogs again.

Really impressive movie
I enjoyed it but I hyped it up way too much beforehand.

I saw Annette. I dislike musicals and this was a full on musical and an odd one as well. Wouldn't recommend unless you like rock operas.

Others I've seen recently :

Killing of two lovers - I liked this until it ended abruptly.

Nine days - interesting concept and worth a watch

Summer of soul - cool festival doco

I know this is a TV show, but The Bureau is up there with the best. High quality from start to finish. On sbs demand.

I know this is a TV show, but The Bureau is up there with the best. High quality from start to finish. On sbs demand.
Yeah The Bureau is one of my absolute favourites. Up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos imho

2 recent movies I've seen (at the cinema):

Nitram: thought this was excellent. I loved Snowtown and this was better directed and not really like that. High quality Australian film.

Pig: Nicholas cage is awesome. The film is not really trying to be anything special and it isn't, but it's still a quality watch imo. Strong messages.

Also saw the 'summer of soul' doco which was really good.

Cinemas are getting smacked by streaming atm, but still some stuff worth going to see if you look.

If you've watched Squid Game and liked it .....can I suggest a movie that's also based on a game of wits

Animal World

1634361163764.png
Don't let the Clown fool you, he's a minor part of the Movie Plot .....like Squid Game, it is a game of life & death

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's happened before with Brandon Lee (Bruce Lee's son) when they filmed 'The Crow'. I heard they introduced stricter safety standards after that incident.

you'd think that actual rounds would be secured in a storage area and you'd need to sign them out per each. It's near on totally unfathomable that a safe work system could have this result. That said, there's at least a couple of humans in the supply chain. Still, given the potential outcome is death, you'd think that there'd be triple checks on the rounds that are available.

Old guns need testing with live rounds maybe.

"I have known live rounds to be fired out of revolvers to make sure that they function in a way that when you put a blank in, it isn't going to blow up or explode in the actor's hands," he said. - ABC article

Why would there be live rounds on set in the first place? I don't get it. Do they need to do some shots with live rounds? Surely not.
Shooting a gun is actually pretty tricky and expensive to animate in cgi. You have to simulate muzzle flash, recoil, shells ejecting etc. It's cheaper to just have the actor fire a blank.

The prop guns are modified to only fire low powered blanks. Sometimes they won't fire correctly and parts of the blank casing will remain in the barrel. If you don't notice this and fire it off again, it will push out this leftover material at high velocity and you've essentially just turned a prop gun into a real gun.

Old guns need testing with live rounds maybe.

"I have known live rounds to be fired out of revolvers to make sure that they function in a way that when you put a blank in, it isn't going to blow up or explode in the actor's hands," he said. - ABC article

so if a live round blows up in someone’s hands then we know it’s not safe for blanks. Makes sense.

Just to add to the confusion, in the film industry, apparently the term "live round" doesn't necessarily mean bullet. They refer to blanks as live rounds as well.

Found this on another forum posted by somebody who claims to work in the industry.

"Prop guns fall into a couple categories:

-resin: basically when a gun is in a holster and stays there or a bg is carrying it decently far from camera, they'll use a resin aka "rubber" gun

-solid plug: a gun with a plug in the barrel to prevent anything from coming out. This is for principals/stunts to wield when you want to see the gun in close up and it doesn't fire. It can fire and cycle the chamber without ammo, but there's no recoil nor smoke. A lot of network tv will use solid plugs for firing weapons because it's cheaper, easier, and safer.

-blank gun: basically a real gun with slight modification to fire blanks. Blank ammo has the actual bullet removed and the ends of the shells are crimped. The hemmed will strike the ammo, which will generate a good amount of recoil and smoke (generally a quarter load of gunpowder or a half if you're really fancy and not in a major city). These are treated as real guns with real gun rules because the casings can splinter or other debris can get lodged in the barrel and the real gunpowder will turn that shrapnel into a functional bullet, which is what happened to Brandon Lee".

Could have sworn that prop guns aren't supposed to be able to fire regular ammo. If they can though and somebody handed Baldwin a loaded gun, that's a level of incompetence that exceeds the Lee incident. That person is going to be sued into oblivion.

Also came out yesterday that production staff had been using the gun in previous days for target practice, in their off time
Apparently it was rehearsal too and the weapon wasn't supposed to be loaded with anything. Everything in this story just points to rank incompetence.

Last edited:
Could have sworn that prop guns aren't supposed to be able to fire regular ammo. If they can though and somebody handed Baldwin a loaded gun, that's a level of incompetence that exceeds the Lee incident. That person is going to be sued into oblivion.

Apparently it was rehearsal too and the weapon wasn't supposed to be loaded with anything. Everything in this story just points to rank incompetence.
They're saying on some productions real guns are used for realism ....I mean that's asking for trouble

Apparently a lot of trouble on site leading up to this .......non-union labor brought in after complaints about conditions .....and there was a gun incident a few days B4 as well

Baldwin is still going to be sued .....he's a Producer of the Film, which some are saying won't be completed now

They're saying on some productions real guns are used for realism ....I mean that's asking for trouble

Apparently a lot of trouble on site leading up to this .......non-union labor brought in after complaints about conditions .....and there was a gun incident a few days B4 as well

Baldwin is still going to be sued .....he's a Producer of the Film, which some are saying won't be completed now
That's pretty odd. They use prop guns with blanks primarily because they don't look and behave noticeably differently from real guns. They have slightly less recoil but nothing a layman would notice. Why they would need a real gun on set for the sake of realism is beyond me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back