News Poster's Favorite Movies - Latest Movie Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

The indie movie scene is still thriving and there are plenty of successful "creative" films released every year, despite streaming.

In fact if you look back at 2005, before streaming, the top grossing films were:

Harry Potter
Star Wars
Narnia
War of the Worlds
King Kong
Madagascar
Mr & Mrs Smith
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Batman Begins
Hitch

Is that really all that different to today? That list has two of the largest film franchises ever, four other films based on hugely popular books/characters, a superhero film and an animated film.

In 2002 we had:

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Spider-Man
Star Wars
Men in Black
James Bond
Signs
Ice Age
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Minority Report

Again looks very similar to me.

I think it's more popular movie tastes dictating what is made rather than creative films instead being made as streaming TV shows. Sure, there are lots of excellent, unique shows being bankrolled by Netflix and others that would never have been made in the mid-2000s, but what's popular at the box office hasn't changed and there is still plenty of room for great movies.

So I don't see any reason to think why streaming services have led to a decline in the quality of films being made, or box office ticket sales
All true :thumbsu:

t

i.e. people are only going to the cinema for things they can't get on Netflix (a screen the size of their house, surround sound as loud as a jet taking off and popcorn and choctops for the kids) and in turn that's where the studios are pouring their money.

which has always been the case to a certain extent of course, but Spielberg's work through the 80's and 90's beats the derivative superhero movies of today to hell and back.
Cinemas now offer reduced quality to Smart TV's & home theater sound ......more money is now being made via DVD Sales / Rentals & licensing to streaming services .....in China, the biggest movie market, it's still predominantly ticket sales

The Movie going experience is both expensive & average quality .......the studio owners, like Cricket Authorities simply make all decisions about $$$$$ ......there are some wonderful Indie films out there, but they remain low key, due to lack of Financial / Studio support

The Film i saw the other day, "The Shape Of Water" ...has 13 Oscar Nominations, yet had an initial very limited distribution of Cinemas

Cinemas now offer reduced quality to Smart TV's & home theater sound
maybe if you go drop 8K on a UHD TV and decent sound system, but that's beyond a lot of folk.

even then that's just pixel peeper quality, it's still not the same as watching something on a screen the size of your house.

the standards of various cinemas vary dramatically too of course. Vmax at greater union cinemas is pretty reliable though.

while the quality is similar, there's far more variety in those top 10's than there is in last year's and that's the point. We're in a superhero bubble of sorts, and the reason those movies are popular is because they offer experiences that Netflix can't give you at home.

I don't agree at all. There are lots of very popular superhero TV shows (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Agents of Shield, Luke Cage, The Defenders, and previously Smallville) and it's a genre that's always been popular historically. Almost every superhero film ever released has been in the top grossing films of that year.

The only reason there are more of them is because the geniuses at Marvel realized they are extremely popular and decided to make more of them. It's not because people aren't going to other films or other films don't make money, it's because it's an easy win to make a superhero film. They looked at the data, made a smart business decision and it's paid off. It's the exact same reason there are so many sequels.

But then if you look in the last couple of years, films like La La Land, Arrival, Hidden Figures, Dunkirk, Get Out, The Revenant, Straight Outta Compton, Gone Girl, and many more did between $100 and $200 million at the US domestic box office. Those are all critically acclaimed, original films. If you go back and look at some of the best films of the 90s and 80s, it was similar: a large number of the most critically acclaimed films of the year do between $100m and $200m (in adjusted dollars).

Even in a year that had some of the best films of all time (1994), Pulp Fiction did $227m and The Shawshank Redemption did just $60m. In the year before, Schindler's List did just a tick over $200m and Philadelphia $166m. Die Hard from 1988 did only $181m.

I don't think the evidence suggests people aren't seeing good or critically acclaimed films in favor of (inferior, in your opinion) superhero films or staying at home to watch Netflix. If anything, people are still seeing good films, good films are still successful, just people are also seeing more films in general while also appreciating the best content on streaming services.

Last edited:
I don't agree at all. There are lots of very popular superhero TV shows (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Agents of Shield, Luke Cage, The Defenders, and previously Smallville) and it's a genre that's always been popular historically. Almost every superhero film ever released has been in the top grossing films of that year.

The only reason there are more of them is because the geniuses at Marvel realized they are extremely popular and decided to make more of them. It's not because people aren't going to other films or other films don't make money, it's because it's an easy win to make a superhero film. They looked at the data, made a smart business decision and it's paid off. It's the exact same reason there are so many sequels.

But then if you look in the last couple of years, films like La La Land, Arrival, Hidden Figures, Dunkirk, Get Out, The Revenant, Straight Outta Compton, Gone Girl, and many more did between $100 and $200 million at the US domestic box office. Those are all critically acclaimed, original films. If you go back and look at some of the best films of the 90s and 80s, it was similar: a large number of the most critically acclaimed films of the year do between $100m and $200m (in adjusted dollars).

Even in a year that had some of the best films of all time (1994), Pulp Fiction did $227m and The Shawshank Redemption did just $60m. In the year before, Schindler's List did just a tick over $200m and Philadelphia $166m. Die Hard from 1988 did only $181m.

I don't think the evidence suggests people aren't seeing good or critically acclaimed films in favor of (inferior, in your opinion) superhero films or staying at home to watch Netflix. If anything, people are still seeing good films, good films are still successful, just people are also seeing more films in general while also appreciating the best content on streaming services.
Yes and No

There’s a clear difference between the cinema world and tv world, purely on size and star power. You don’t have Affleck or Downey on the Netflix shows

The history of superhero films is an interesting. There is a renaissance on at the moment. Superhero movies went on the nose after Clooney’s batnipples.

There were probably 4 influential movies without which we probably wouldn’t have the movies we have today

1. X-men - the first post Batnips comic movie that was well received
2. Batman Begins - complete revision of the biggest superhero
3. Spider-Man - a triumph of a talented passionate director given reign to make his movie
4. Iron Man - led to the current Marvel explosion

So what did they all have in common?

1, Big established and importantly, credible actors
2, respect for the story
3, sense of realism
4, darker tone

gross doesn't tell the whole story (particularly when you don't include budgets to go along with it).

ticket sales in the US have been on the decline since 2002 (along with adjusted total box office grosses) and the number of wide release films made by the major 6 studios has been declining since 1995 (in other words the lack of diversity at the cinema I was talking about is real, albeit I didn't qualify that statement with *from the major players*).

the US's population has grown just over 30% since Die Hard came out too, about 75 million people. Some evidence then that the industry is not just standing still but going backwards.

Yes and No

There’s a clear difference between the cinema world and tv world, purely on size and star power. You don’t have Affleck or Downey on the Netflix shows

The history of superhero films is an interesting. There is a renaissance on at the moment. Superhero movies went on the nose after Clooney’s batnipples.

There were probably 4 influential movies without which we probably wouldn’t have the movies we have today

3. Spider-Man - a triumph of a talented passionate director given reign to make his movie

2, respect for the story
3, sense of realism
4, darker tone
The Super-hero movies as you say is a renaissance of the comic book mania of the 40's - 60's ...except on celluloid

I love the Franchise Startup movies for all the Hero's ........but i hate the cross participation movies where Thor & Hulk are together as an example .....the avengers, meh !

Excellent response & your argument is spot on

The introduction of TV had a short term impact on Hollywood .....likewise Color TV .....the biggest threat to Hollywood is & will be China

Streaming will have the greatest impact on Pay TV (Foxtel) .......with Netflix producing their own content as well, gives the streaming a tactical advantage

But Hollywood will respond .....the $$$$ on offer, will ensure Hollywood will adapt to the challenges worldwide .....it does however need to get over itself and it's pre-occupation with CGI over story

The Super-hero movies as you say is a renaissance of the comic book mania of the 40's - 60's ...except on celluloid

I love the Franchise Startup movies for all the Hero's ........but i hate the cross participation movies where Thor & Hulk are together as an example .....the avengers, meh !

Avengers was good.
But now when they're crossing them into each others movies is annoying.

Yes and No

2, respect for the story
3, sense of realism
4, darker tone

This was my #1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but it seems the DC movies recently have gone too far that way.

Would love a more fun but non-camp Batman movie.

Would also love Watchmen as a Netflix 12 episode mini-series.
:hearts: ..can't see it happening, awesome film

I don't see why not, obviously licencing and whoever owns the rights and all that jazz can throw spanners in the works, bit there's money to be made for sure.
It took many years to make “ Watchmen” ..... only technical advances made it possible to do the comic justice..... a series would see the “Watchmen” concept watered down due to production costs

Please .... no !

It took many years to make “ Watchmen” ..... only technical advances made it possible to do the comic justice..... a series would see the “Watchmen” concept watered down due to production costs

Please .... no !
I disagree, there's plenty of money being spent on TV shows these days, if you'd ever call them that anymore.

Ol’ Brodie’s been hitting the weights room extra hard in his rehab?

tenor.gif

Good movie. Predator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back