NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. I think a lot of people presumed it was 19s also, maybe the use of development squad confuses people. Reserves are grown men and ages can range anywhere from 20-35 at most clubs.
No pressure on losing your spot to a development squad player this week, maybe? Injuries to players in the 1's would be a fear for Knox.
Although the statement says the Development Team has been stood down, no mention of players is made. Does this mean the Development Team won't be playing until the independent investigation is completed, but will it allow Development Squad players to play in the 1's if needed?
The term Development Squad started in the VFL, back when VFL teams had reserves. I guess in that context they were development squads. I can't relate to how the term is now being used by Knox, particularly when the EFNL fixture identifies them as Reserves.
The term Development Squad, sort of seems to have been deliberately used to confuse readers into thinking the people involved were younger and might not have realised how disgusting their behaviour truly was.

Last edited:
I do not know any EFNL rule that says if the 2,s are going to forfeit they must play their U19,s in the 2,s and the 19,s forfeit.BUT important for a club,s 1,s and the remaining 2,s that they play as the remaining 2,s can not go back and play in the 19,s.I think you might be thinking of clubs in the past that decided we will pull the pin on their 19,s to help get a reserves side on the park.(Balwyn and Doncaster I think)If seniors and 19,s only start the 19,s game later in the lunchtime spot as you call it.
Neither did I, I was advised Thursday night that you have to field a Reserves team. Mind you that means the U19's forfiet. If Seniors get injured the U19s have to go in. What an absolute cluster fck.

Last edited:

One of the great wank terms, “development squad”
Its actually pathetic, I remember Park orchards were one of the first users of it many years ago for their 2's, Now its super common and probably more common in womens football.

IF you aren't good enough for seniors, you play reserves. Some obviously get offended, happens way too easy thesedays!!

What a Super Saturday, No Knox Reserves, Norwood, and Mulgrave winning against all odds. Norwood winning sees that team that's deep in the Eastern Suburbs "Berwick" on the bottom of the ladder.

Last edited:
What a weekend again. Some massive boil overs throughout the divisions.

• Norwood Wins! No one saw it coming, No one! Classic 8 point game V Berwick round 9
  • Premier Div finals race is wide open but Balwyn 6-0 and a 200+% the early clubhouse leader.
  • Doncaster East are 2-4 with a poor % and have Rowville this week. Its a long way back from 2-5.
  • Mooroolbark important win against local rival Montrose.
  • Mitcham burst back into the top 5 easily beating North Ringwood.
  • Bayswater after a good start have lost 3 in a row and now have Sth Belgrave and Beaconsfield in the next 2 weeks. Must win at least 1 of these games to stay in the finals race. Big difference between 4-5 and 3-6
  • Croydon. From the toast of the whole league last week to shock losers to Mulgrave this week.
  • East Burwood win again, 3 in a row and can now leave the relegation battle for others to fight out. With Heathmont and Lilydale the next 2 games, can be 5-4 at the turn and right back in the hunt for finals.
  • Mulgrave great win against Croydon but continue to be one of the most unpredictable teams in the EFNL.
  • Knox lose by 2 points to Oakleigh. They are 3-4 and still in 5th spot but we are all waiting to see what happens next.
  • Fairpark fall to bottom spot ironically after one of their better performances of the year against Surrey Park.
  • Warrandyte jump from 10th to 7th with a great win over Silvan.
  • Chirnside beat Kilsyth to go to 2nd spot but have played the extra game.
  • The jostling between the top 4 teams will continue all year in Div 4. Teams could lose and fall from top spot to 4th.

Last edited:
Player Points from the weekend. Is it time to cut the points from say 46 to 39?

Premier
Norwood - 46
Doncaster East - 45
South Croydon -42
Noble Park - 42
Balwyn - 40 - Top of the Ladder
East Ringwood - 39
Vermont - 38
Blackburn - 38
Rowville - 32
Berwick - 30

Division 1
Montrose - 40
Doncaster - 39
South Belgrave - 39
Bayswater - 39
Mitcham - 37
Wantirna South - 33
Beaconsfield - 31
Mooroolbark - 30
Park Orchards - 29 - Top of the Ladder
North Ringwood - 24

Division 2
Heathmont - 43
Croydon 33
Mulgrave - 31
Templestowe - 31
East Burwood - 31
Ringwood - 29
Boronia - 27 - Top of the Ladder
Basin - 27
Waverly Blues - 26
Lilydale - 23

Division 3
Silvan - 44
Oakleigh Districts - 43
Coldstream - 37
Ferntree Gully - 31
Knox - 31
Warandyte - 29
Fairpark - 27
Surrey Park - 27
Donvale - 24 - Top of the Ladder
Upper Ferntree Gully - 21

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it probably is a couple of points too high.

Having said that, the huge factor is the one point deduction per year of service. Often you’ll see the top sides with lower totals because of this - it doesn’t have to mean they’re all home grown, it can mean they have been together for a few years so their points have come down, which will generally be the case for top sides - they are good because they’re an established unit that knows each other, their coach and their tactics.

I have wondered the impact of reducing that to 0.5 points. As it stands you can have 15 non-homegrown players, sign them for one more year, and drop 15 points from your total immediately. That’s enormous.

I think it probably is a couple of points too high.

Having said that, the huge factor is the one point deduction per year of service. Often you’ll see the top sides with lower totals because of this - it doesn’t have to mean they’re all home grown, it can mean they have been together for a few years so their points have come down, which will generally be the case for top sides - they are good because they’re an established unit that knows each other, their coach and their tactics.

I have wondered the impact of reducing that to 0.5 points. As it stands you can have 15 non-homegrown players, sign them for one more year, and drop 15 points from your total immediately. That’s enormous.
The point System is a good System though. It means you cant go out and just recruit a bunch of Guns. You have to invest in your Junior System aswell

Well Silvan look horrible at the moment with points and is a good example, if they were playing the exact same selected team in 12 months they will drop from 44 to 31.

The problem with that is it favours clubs with strong juniors and leaves clubs with no juniors too disadvantaged.
Could perhaps clubs with no juniors the salary cap is a little higher.BUT important to look after the clubs that look after their junior development.BUT to clubs like Croydon North,Nunawading etc who are struggling senior wise that is a tough task.

• Norwood Wins! No one saw it coming, No one! Classic 8 point game V Berwick round 9
  • Premier Div finals race is wide open but Balwyn 6-0 and a 200+% the early clubhouse leader.
  • Doncaster East are 2-4 with a poor % and have Rowville this week. Its a long way back from 2-5.
  • Bayswater after a good start have lost 3 in a row and now have Sth Belgrave and Beaconsfield in the next 2 weeks. Must win at least 1 of these games to stay in the finals race. Big difference between 4-5 and 3-6
  • Croydon. From the toast of the whole league last week to shock losers to Mulgrave this week.
  • East Burwood win again, 3 in a row and can now leave the relegation battle for others to fight out. With Heathmont and Lilydale the next 2 games, can be 5-4 at the turn and right back in the hunt for finals.
  • Mulgrave great win against Croydon but continue to be one of the most unpredictable teams in the EFNL.
  • Knox lose by 2 points to Oakleigh. They are 3-4 and still in 5th spot but we are all waiting to see what happens next.
  • Fairpark fall to bottom spot ironically after one of their better performances of the year against Surrey Park.
  • The jostling between the top 4 teams will continue all year in Div 4. Teams could lose and fall from top spot to 4th.
I'll be staggered if Fairpark don't claim some scalps at home before the end of the season. They cracked in yesterday.

Keen to hear tomorrow's EFNL podcast too. Another round full of intriguing results.

Yeah can cop a deduction for years service but obviously that is enormous.
Recruiting players for the long term should be the aim of all clubs and some if not many clubs do recruit for the long term. Having No Juniors creates its issues outside of the Point System. This is not new, I agree that reducing points would make having No Juniors an even bigger problem.

Again, another great summary into the weekend

This situation is a little bit different, but i understand where you are coming from. Oakleigh have not entered a 2s team on their socials or on play hq for this weekend but their 1s team is all entered, so id presume from their point of view they aren't having reserves game.

Id also question why Oakleigh Districts should be benefiting from something the Knox 2s did to Donvale Womens team? The integrity of the competition is still important even for reserves footballers if we are to presume that Oakleigh will be awarded the win due to a forfeit type scenario.
how important is it? Blokes miss games to go overseas, go to the races, move house, watch a band, go to LIV golf.......I think the integrity of the division 2 reserves competition will be ok.....

Recruiting players for the long term should be the aim of all clubs and some if not many clubs do recruit for the long term. Having No Juniors creates its issues outside of the Point System. This is not new, I agree that reducing points would make having No Juniors an even bigger problem.

Yeah it’s true. The aim of the system is to foster your own juniors… but bringing in the system didn’t miraculously create more juniors. Some clubs are close to large junior clubs and have never had the opportunity to have their own. You can say “well just start juniors”, but that’s only going to take them from another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back