NTFL Season 2023/4

Remove this Banner Ad

Northern_Territory_Football_League_%28NTFL%29_2021%E2%80%93_logo.png

Season 2023/2024

Yes I'm very late to the table but thought I'd start posting the NTFL results in here again for anyone who wants to check up and/or discuss. So far has been a rather good year by most of the clubs except for Palmerston and Wanderers, with even Tiwi playing some cracking games and looking much more competitive than the other years. We are currently 1/3rd of the way through the season, with no clear favourite, so should be a great end to the year. Might even consider extending my NT News membership so I can stream a few more games.

Ladder at End Of Home And Away Season:

1708406909357.png

Last edited:

As we can see, Palmerston are in absolute strife this year. The usual Christmas drop off appears to have begun early, with the last 2 weeks seeing us score 7 goals and concede 42 - with a Saturday TIO Stadium clash with Waratahs coming up this weekend.
Wanderers have also been quite indifferent - a few hidings, then some tense clashes. But looking at the ladder, only 1 win (and a stack of %) separates 6th and 1st, so it's a rather even start to the year. I don't know if the NTFL can whip out some sort of "North Melbourne assistance" packages but I feel Palmerston and Wanderers (and maybe even Tiwi) need some help as it's just same old same old.

Buffaloes and Districts seem to be the go-to's for recruits this year, with Robbo pulling a few of his AFL mates over for games, Baxter Mensh walking out of Palmo to the Buffs after a dominant season; and Districts has blokes like Jarrod Brandner absolutely smashing it.

As we can see, Palmerston are in absolute strife this year. The usual Christmas drop off appears to have begun early, with the last 2 weeks seeing us score 7 goals and concede 42 - with a Saturday TIO Stadium clash with Waratahs coming up this weekend.
Wanderers have also been quite indifferent - a few hidings, then some tense clashes. But looking at the ladder, only 1 win (and a stack of %) separates 6th and 1st, so it's a rather even start to the year. I don't know if the NTFL can whip out some sort of "North Melbourne assistance" packages but I feel Palmerston and Wanderers (and maybe even Tiwi) need some help as it's just same old same old.

Buffaloes and Districts seem to be the go-to's for recruits this year, with Robbo pulling a few of his AFL mates over for games, Baxter Mensh walking out of Palmo to the Buffs after a dominant season; and Districts has blokes like Jarrod Brandner absolutely smashing it.
Put Declan Barnett in the ones and you'll see improvement. Wasted in the twos

Put Declan Barnett in the ones and you'll see improvement. Wasted in the twos
Looks like he played his 1st A grade game on the weekend and made the best players. Not a bad shout. We need players like that who can make an impact to play consistently - hopefully the start of a decent run in the A's. We're never really going to be getting too many of the big ex-afl players, especially now without Betts there or the Davey boys at the top.

Will be a st Mary's Districts grand final with Nightcliff running interference
I feel like every season looks like that to be honest - then you just get a sneaky Waratahs roll in or something like that near the end. Not sure if Buffs have what it takes, or PINTs, so you're just about dead on there.

I feel like every season looks like that to be honest - then you just get a sneaky Waratahs roll in or something like that near the end. Not sure if Buffs have what it takes, or PINTs, so you're just about dead on there.
Yeah with point system ,flyins etc everything has to line up and saints and districts have talent to burn, got to give a special mention to pints who have come a long way in a short amount of time 4 mens teams heaps of women's teams and strong juniors which only happens with quality and quantity of people around otherwise you end up like wanderers and dare I say it: Palmerston?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So no surprises... the divide between Palmerston/Wanders/Tiwi and the rest of the comp just grows. We copped our third straight triple figure loss in a row. St Mary's up next too, our home game, at their home ground. Good times ahead :cryv1: Match of the round would certainly be the Buffs dishing out a 6 point win over Nightcliff at Nightcliff Oval - never an easy feat over there. I noticed they had Mitch Robinson, Rhys Mathieson, Blake Coleman and Phoenix Spicer playing for them. They're developing a good group on top of the usuals like Yarran, all the Stokes boys, Jackson Clark etc.

Also, off topic and maybe an Aus wide thing, anyone know what the PP stands for on play HQ? View attachment 1856302

Think it may be SP - season permit. Especially for blokes like filo who’s contracted and on massive coin at wang rovers. They wouldn’t want to fully clear him to ensure he comes back but obviously a permit can be arranged with the ntfl

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great round of NTFL footy, tahs gave buffs their second loss for the season Nightcliff beat high flying crocs and pints stayed in touch with a win over Tiwi, saints flogged palmy but I was actually at the game and will say palmy boys kept trying all game

Great round of NTFL footy, tahs gave buffs their second loss for the season Nightcliff beat high flying crocs and pints stayed in touch with a win over Tiwi, saints flogged palmy but I was actually at the game and will say palmy boys kept trying all game
I don't know if that concerns me more or not - tried all day and still copped a 175 point loss :'(. That's over 400 points in 3 games, absolute strife. I guess we're copping it from all angles from the high flyers - home game against PINTS this Saturday should be a real test of just where we're at. Was there any recognisable or decent recruits running around? I feel like I see a stack of country Victorian players in the NTFL all the time but not too many at Palmy - we tend to get more permits from QLD or country WA teams.

Couple from Vic but like you say not as many as most clubs, some good local young players, could be half a chance against PINTS but they need to win to still be in finals contention, otherwise will have to wait for when they play wanderers and load up

Unfortunately for Palmy, not good news: got a touch up on their home ground
Yeah not good at all. We did alright against Tiwi and Buffs, but since Round 5 it's been margins of 131, 102, 109, 175 and now 107 against PINTS. Probably the worst year we've had in 20 or so years at least. Considering how this time last year we were playing like a top 2 side, it's a huge drop. I know we lost a lot our recruits to other clubs but it's pretty disheartening - kudos to the legends like Wills etc. who just show up and perform every week.

We have Wanderers this Saturday night at home - I don't expect a win, but they're probably the closest to us in terms of this year, so hopefully it's at least not a hiding. They'll be licking their wounds after copping a big one from Tiwi.

ROUND 9
ROUND 9
Tiwi showed Wanderers & Palmy that they aren't at our level with a solid win at home against Wanderers; St Mary's established dominance at the top of the ladder with a big "back off" to the Buffaloes; Palmerston bullied at home by PINT who keep in touch with a finals spot (climbing above Buffs in the process) ; and Tahs win a low scoring slog against Nightcliff at the neutral TIO Stadium. Every team has had their bye now so we're finally at an "even" ladder.

1701638318414.png

1701638475397.png

Also, off topic and maybe an Aus wide thing, anyone know what the PP stands for on play HQ? View attachment 1856302
Apologies if answered before but stands for Player Points.
Not sure what the sitch is for NT but in Vic each club has a certain number of points they can use each match and players are attributed points based on how long they’ve been playing at that club, highest level played etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back