Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2002
St. Louis, MO
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
St. Louis Cardinals
Oh Spainia! :eek:

I remember Ronald deBoer doing the same thing in Euro 2000 iirc for him to have his penalty saved!

You DO NOT hesitate!!!!!!! :mad:

What a terrible way to go out!! A penalty shootout, a lottery really and Spain fail to live up to expectations once again!! I feel very sad for Spain's players. They have put in so much effort... this looked like their best chance to put to rest any ghosts from previous big tournaments but I guess it was not meant to be. :(:(

Cheers!!
SeinDude

The goal to Morientes in the 1st ha;f of golden goal extra time should have stood. There was no way that the ball was over the line before the ball was crossed over to Morientes.

Euro 96 q/f v England all over again.
A good goal disallowed , created the better opportuntities and choked in a shoot-out with the host nation.
We have been down similar roads to Spain and I do emapthise with them.
I'm all for the underdog , but then again , I don't want a South Korea - Turkey final.

What a cruddy penalty. You could tell looking at him that he was apprehensive, and when you tap it like a girl, you can only expect it to be saved.

What they would have done for Raul to be taking that kick...

GO KOREA! :)

The Hitman

And here is my match report, below...

Spot on, Brett-- what would Raul have done? Camacho will be second-guessed on that personnel decision, IMO, for the next four years...

Cheers,
William

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

South Korea?s wonder run continues -- Spain suffer penalty shame
By William Olson

South Korea's impossible dream of a run in the World Cup finals continued in Gwangju on Saturday evening as Spain suffered another knockout-round nightmare, with the co-hosts advancing on to the last-four phase of the competition via a 5-3 tally in a penalty shootout following 120 minutes of scoreless soccer.

After Korean goalkeeper Lee Woon-Jae stopped Joaquin's fourth-round attempt in the spot-kick tiebreaker, Hong Myung-Bo stepped up and sent Spanish 'keeper Iker Casillas the wrong way and an entire country into raptures.

"I cannot describe how I'm feeling. I'm so happy for the boys who fought until the end. I think more dreams have come true now," said South Korea coach Guus Hiddink, who has now led two nations into the last four in consecutive World Cup competitions after leading Holland to a semifinal place at France '98.

"Is it true that we [Korea] are advancing to the semifinals? It's unbelievable. I just hope that we recover our full strength soon and prepare for the next game," said Korean defender Choi Jin-Cheul as his team set up a Tuesday semifinal date with Germany in Seoul.

It was a game that marked the unity of the Korean team even further while Spain had a slight edge in the attacking play through regulation and extra time. The Spaniards, snakebit in their attempts to reach the last four of major senior competitions to the point of legendary proportions, were debatedly unlucky not to have won the game by the time it got to the spot-kick stage, with two apparent goals involving Fernando Morientes wiped out by key officiating decisions.

Just after halftime, the Real Madrid striker was cited for offside as Spain had appeared to benefit from a Korean own goal, and in the opening stages of extra time, a headed goal from Morientes was nullified by the assistant referee's flag, thinking that Joaquin had crossed the ball after it had crossed the byline, contrary to what video replays had proven.

Morientes was at the center of the Spaniards' attacks and was unlucky not to have created a goal for any of his teammates in addition to missing chances of his own-- none bigger than when he smacked a shot off the woodwork in the 100th minute from Joaquin's quickly-taken throw-in.

In the tie-breaker, the first three shooters for each team-- Hwang Sun-Hong, Park Ji-Sung and Seol Ki-Hyeon for South Korea and Fernando Hierro, Baraja and Xavi for Spain-- each converted their kicks, then Ahn Jung-Hwan, the Koreans' extra-time hero against Italy, gave his team the lead in the fourth round.

But after Lee was not to be fooled by Joaquin's stutter-step approach to save his penalty kick, Hong made no mistake with his, as he sent an Asian team into a World Cup semifinal for the first time ever.

"If you don't mind, first, I'd like to have a little glass of champagne and celebrate first," said Hiddink. "What comes tomorrow is tomorrow, not now. The mentality of this team is to recover even when it gets tougher and tougher, it's so outrageous, almost without limit. I'm so proud of these boys."

"It was a tremendous achievement by the players," he added. "It was a 50-50 game. It was shaky defensively sometimes and also the Spanish had some problems, so the tension was very high. We were lucky with the penalties. It was a real classic game regarding the tension of football."

Meanwhile, Spanish coach Jose Antonio Camacho was left to count the cost of his side's misfortune in their finishing, as well as his game-time decision to rest key striker Raul, who had a groin strain, and relegated the dangerous Luis Enrique to the substitutes' bench, each in lieu of using healthier players.

"It was a difficult game... too bad that we lost," he lamented. "We have worked hard and fought our best, but the other team had more luck. Congratulations to the Korean team for their victory."

Still don't know if South Korea should be advancing as the missed penalty should've been retaken as the keeper moved illegally. If you look back you'll find that the Korean keeper jump forward then sideways the fordways movement was prior to the ball being kicked and therefore illegal, at this point the referee should have decided that a miss equals a retry but then again the Koreans have been blessed all tournament and I hope we get a decent ref in the semi because this one was sh*thouse.

Ah Espanol. When will you learn?

I thought it was interesting how straight after the last Korean kick was taken the SBS commentator remarked straight way that Spain had underachieved again. The whole country will probably have to live with this whole 'underachieving' thing forever.

There's always one kick-taker who thinks twice right in the middle of his run-up. And almost without fail, they miss. Gotta feel for him though, he's going to return to Spain as the guy who f****d up the penalty shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by SMW

There's always one kick-taker who thinks twice right in the middle of his run-up. And almost without fail, they miss. Gotta feel for him though, he's going to return to Spain as the guy who f****d up the penalty shot.

Yes he'll cop it , but he's only a kid and I reckon we'll see a lot more of Joaquin Sanchez.

Originally posted by The Hitman
What a cruddy penalty. You could tell looking at him that he was apprehensive, and when you tap it like a girl, you can only expect it to be saved.

What they would have done for Raul to be taking that kick...

GO KOREA! :)

The Hitman

Spain's penalties vs Ireland were poor also but they were lucky that our's were even worse! Shootouts are a lottery & it's an awful way to lose.

Good luck to Korea, they'll need it against the Germans & I'll be in their corner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back