Mega Thread Old Tech - Share the love.

Remove this Banner Ad

I found an old laptop in hard rubbish, an old Asus A3F with an XP license! needed something to run old programs that no longer run under win10/11.

DosBox is meh...

Not quite as retro as the stuff in this thread, but I still have an old ThinkPad X220 that I can’t bring myself to get rid of. Moved it to Debian a few years ago.

Must admit I am a bit of a sucker for LGR on YouTube

• Admin
I had a good time with a few "LGR exposed" type videos, showing the fake restorations.

Dude walking along the street, picking through roadside garbage, finds a vintage Gameboy and restores it to working condition. Bullshit :)

One of my old rigs ...... Apple G4 Cube with Sonnet 1.4Ghz processor upgrade - took me all night.

I wouldn't mind getting another one day and trying to shoehorn the guts of a modern Mac Mini into it.

View attachment 1981900
Sexy leopard skins! Perhaps one of the best looking machines ever. My friend has one. Had a few heating problems in the day. Are you running the original MacOS?

If the mini mac main board is physically small enough to fit upright of flat then it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm a bit of a hoarder of old tech. PDA's, remember them? Original style Palm with 2x AA batteries, a Palm Tungsten T5 and the T3 with the neat slideout base. Lost in tech history, a footnote on the way to the smartphone.

1715321801183.png
For folks who might want to boot up a really old computer that's got a stuffed hard drive or a stuffed OS I recommend trying Puppy Linux. If you want to get that old netbook up and running for Grandma so she can join Only Fans, Puppy is your best choice. It can boot from floppy (remember them), USB, CD, SD cards, HD etc. There are many flavors for old 32 bit machines and newer 64 bit machines including the Raspberry Pi. It runs in memory so it'd faster than most other OS. It has a few unique features which Linux guys tend to hate. It's for PC not servers. Developed by Barry Kauler, a bloke from WA. It's rescued me a few times when I've had the HD on a Windows box die and I've desperately had to get data from it.

Sexy leopard skins! Perhaps one of the best looking machines ever. My friend has one. Had a few heating problems in the day. Are you running the original MacOS?

If the mini mac main board is physically small enough to fit upright of flat then it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm a bit of a hoarder of old tech. PDA's, remember them? Original style Palm with 2x AA batteries, a Palm Tungsten T5 and the T3 with the neat slideout base. Lost in tech history, a footnote on the way to the smartphone.

For folks who might want to boot up a really old computer that's got a stuffed hard drive or a stuffed OS I recommend trying Puppy Linux. If you want to get that old netbook up and running for Grandma so she can join Only Fans, Puppy is your best choice. It can boot from floppy (remember them), USB, CD, SD cards, HD etc. There are many flavors for old 32 bit machines and newer 64 bit machines including the Raspberry Pi. It runs in memory so it'd faster than most other OS. It has a few unique features which Linux guys tend to hate. It's for PC not servers. Developed by Barry Kauler, a bloke from WA. It's rescued me a few times when I've had the HD on a Windows box die and I've desperately had to get data from it.

I had 3 x Cubes at one stage - couldn't afford one new. Got them all 2nd hand. The one I upgraded I put a fan into it as it came as part of the kit. Never had any probs with that heat wise and it was a great upgrade. It was maxed out on ram and hdd and lasted me around 8 years until it couldn't run latest Apple OS. Still have one which doesn't work that I am considering about trying to do the M1 Mac Mini thing with - it cab be done and has been done. Just need to get off my bum and roll up my sleeves. I have kept a lot of old Mac stuff - still have a perfect G4 1.67 17" powerbook that is mint and works and a 23" ADC studio display that is the same. I'm a hoarder too I guess.

I had 3 x Cubes at one stage - couldn't afford one new. Got them all 2nd hand. The one I upgraded I put a fan into it as it came as part of the kit. Never had any probs with that heat wise and it was a great upgrade. It was maxed out on ram and hdd and lasted me around 8 years until it couldn't run latest Apple OS. Still have one which doesn't work that I am considering about trying to do the M1 Mac Mini thing with - it cab be done and has been done. Just need to get off my bum and roll up my sleeves. I have kept a lot of old Mac stuff - still have a perfect G4 1.67 17" powerbook that is mint and works and a 23" ADC studio display that is the same. I'm a hoarder too I guess.
Lot's of nice gear! Is the G4 the one with the titanium body?

Lot's of nice gear! Is the G4 the one with the titanium body?
Titanium or aluminium - not sure but it was the last 17" Powerbook they ever made.

It still works fine as to watch DVDs or listen to CDs, MP3s on, Word and email but the internet is unusable.

Would like to figure a way to use it ? Been thinking of selling it actually.

Titanium or aluminium - not sure but it was the last 17" Powerbook they ever made.

It still works fine as to watch DVDs or listen to CDs, MP3s on, Word and email but the internet is unusable.

Would like to figure a way to use it ? Been thinking of selling it actually.

What is the problem with the internet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Safari but I preferred Firefox. I haven't fired it up for a year or two.
I suspect it may be to do with security certificates, I think Tiger/Safari only supports TLS 1.2, this seems to be a bit of a stopper in modern times. You could try a third party browser like InterWebPPC - based on Firefox for PPC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back