ThePope

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2003
32º 03'S 115º 45'E
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
We often hear about a player being the "oldest living premiership player" or other similar "last player alive". But I've often thought about the opposite: what is the oldest game (or team, or grand final winning team) that is still complete - all 20/21/22 players are still alive - or even tougher, all 40/42/44 from both teams in the game are still alive.

In regards to Test cricket, with the recent/young deaths of Rod Marsh, Brian Taber, Tony Mann, and Bruce Yardley, I think the oldest Australian Test Team with 11 living members is from Aus v Eng at MCG on 29 Dec 1979. Bob Willis & Mike Hendrick played for England, so only our XI is still complete, not sure what it would be with both full XIs still alive.

I can't find a way to automate my search yet (I can't use R or SQL or anything fancier than excel), so trying to find it without brute force/trial and error checks is tricky. (Cricinfo stats guru & the wicketkeeper tag got me the Test team one, but still manual checking of each player in selected matches)

For Freo, due to the deaths of Dhurrkay and Leach, we couldn't have a full reunion of any team until the 2nd last round of our 2nd year (a 1 pt loss to the Bears at the Gabba, so you wouldn't want to have a reunion, but that's not the point! Used the yearly Game by Game AFL Tables stats to work that out, eyeballing when neither Leach nor Dhurrkay played)

Anyone think they could find/work out the:
  • Oldest complete VFL team from a game?
  • Oldest complete VFL game (both teams)?
  • Oldest complete VFL premiership winning team?
  • Oldest complete VFL grand final (both teams)?
My guess is late 60s for a single team, early 1970s for any game but mid 80s to early 90s for the GFs. The deaths of guys like Billy Picken, Maurice Rioli, Ken Judge, Chris Mainwairing & Paul Couch rule out quite a few grand finals from that 70s and 80s and even 90s.

I’ve done a back of the envelope assessment for South Melbourne/Sydney Swans from the early 1960s.

1974 appears to be the most likely season to have the oldest living team, although there could a slight chance of pleasant surprise in an earlier season.

These seasons can be ruled out as the following deceased players did not miss a game/appeared in every game:

1963 Ken Colvin & Paul Harrison

1965 Paul Harrison

1966 Jeff Bray & Austin Robertson jnr.

1967 Tony Haenen & Ken Phillips

1968 & 1970 Tony Haenen

1973 Jim Prentice

1977, 1979, 1981 & 1983 Barry Round

1962, 1964, 1969, and possibly 1971 are unlikely given high number of games played by a combination of the abovementioned, as well as, ‘Farmer’ Trethowan, Elkin Reilly, Graeme John, Terry Leahy and Ernie Hug.

I’ve done a back of the envelope assessment for South Melbourne/Sydney Swans from the early 1960s.

1974 appears to be the most likely season to have the oldest living team, although there could a slight chance of pleasant surprise in an earlier season.

These seasons can be ruled out as the following deceased players did not miss a game/appeared in every game:

1963 Ken Colvin & Paul Harrison

1965 Paul Harrison

1966 Jeff Bray & Austin Robertson jnr.

1967 Tony Haenen & Ken Phillips

1968 & 1970 Tony Haenen

1973 Jim Prentice

1977, 1979, 1981 & 1983 Barry Round

1962, 1964, 1969, and possibly 1971 are unlikely given high number of games played by a combination of the abovementioned, as well as, ‘Farmer’ Trethowan, Elkin Reilly, Graeme John, Terry Leahy and Ernie Hug.
I just randomly chose 1970 as a starting point for Richmond, and it looks like all of Rd 4 1970 is still with us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back