TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Optus wants people to have to sign up to their mobile/internet services to be able to watch PL, that's always been their goal. Allowing it to be broadcast on Foxtel negates that, hence they won't do it.

It's all about increasing their subscription numbers rather than just "owning" the rights. Whether it's working or not is another story (figures suggest it currently isn't), but the current system means that any current non-optus customers need to switch over to them for the access to the PL and then more often than not pay an additional fee for the PL as well. It's also an incentive for current Optus customers to stay with them rather than switch over to Telstra or another provider. I don't think they really care how many people are actually watching the PL (especially because 90% of the ads are for themselves!), as long as it improves their number of mobile/internet subscriptions and reduces the number of people leaving.

I get all that. Why in that case do they refuse to release figures on how many new Optus mobile customers have an active Optus Sport account? That would be a pretty good indication of how successful the whole experiment has been. The only stat they did release was a figure of how many viewing hours there had been for Optus Sport.

And why not release Fetch TV figures? They'd have exact viewing numbers with it being a digital internet based TV platform.

It shouldn't be too difficult for someone to work out whether the whole exercises is profitable based off these figures.

I get all that. Why in that case do they refuse to release figures on how many new Optus mobile customers have an active Optus Sport account? That would be a pretty good indication of how successful the whole experiment has been. The only stat they did release was a figure of how many viewing hours there had been for Optus Sport.

And why not release Fetch TV figures? They'd have exact viewing numbers with it being a digital internet based TV platform.

It shouldn't be too difficult for someone to work out whether the whole exercises is profitable based off these figures.
My guess is that it hasn't worked as well as they would hope so they would rather that information not be made public.

I'm not trying to defend them as I don't agree with their policy of limiting to Optus customers, just trying to explain why they have done it the way they have.

I think a Foxtel channel would be good, and from Optus' point of view it may open it up to more potential customers (this is borderline as I recall it was previously mentioned in this thread that there are more Optus subscribers than Foxtel subscribers). I guess they have balanced that with how much of a benefit they receive in terms of losing mobile/internet subscriptions and it didn't work financially.

Im not sure it's as simple as putting a channel on Foxtel. Look at beIN Sports. Fetch had beIN Sports just like Foxtel a year ago...now beIN has 3 channels and spreads a lot of key games onto beIN Sports 2 & 3. Optus has operated up to 7 HD channels at once, and has the ability to do up to 10 in the case of matchweek 38. How can Foxtel find space for up to 10 HD channels on an already bursting at the seems set-up?

What difference does it make at the end of the day? It doesn't really represent $$ to shareholders. They could say we average 55,000 per game or 5,000 per game. The only people really interested in the figure are the ones hanging to be proven right in their arguements.

My guess is that it hasn't worked as well as they would hope so they would rather that information not be made public.

Pretty sure the top rated games on Foxtel only ever reached the lower levels of top 10 weekly shows lists in previous years. An average of around 30-40,000 for main games or something like that

I am just about the switch over to NBN and the pack I am looking to sign to includes fetch TV, what are people's experiences with Fetch? I have heard both good and bad. Also what are people's thoughts on the quality of streaming? Particularly in relation to the premier league? The pack I am getting includes the gen 3 box, does this include HD streaming? Keen on any feedback or advice before I go an sign up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on the quality of your internet. I get perfect picture on my Fetch on around 12mbps speeds. Fetch Gen 3 Mighty boxes run the h.265 codec which requires less speed for HD, and has the ability to record. I'd jump at it if I could get it where I live, but alas, I'm on the Fetch Mini with a phone plan...

Terms like triggered and snowflake seem to have been created to basically put down anyone that disagrees with you in a way that discourages anyone actually trying to form a rational, coherent point.
Yea its to counter people overdosing on racist / misogynist cards that carry zero weight as a result these days. It also has a bonus triggering mechanism because a lot of people are getting pretty angry on the internet lately. This is the best timeline.

Yea its to counter people overdosing on racist / misogynist cards that carry zero weight as a result these days. It also has a bonus triggering mechanism because a lot of people are getting pretty angry on the internet lately. This is the best timeline.

Yeah Trump gets pretty worked up on Twitter hey.

So I ordered my Yes TV Mighty yesterday at around 11.30am. Box arrived just after midday today :eek:

All set up, with multi-room ready to go for the Reds tomorrow morning :D

Aah, to be able to record again...

They really should be offering the yes mighty standalone. Would take a fair chunk out of
Foxtel customers if they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found this on Whirlpool...

Non EPL subscribers can get a free week's worth of access to the EPL

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/301006
https://offer.optus.com.au/7daypass

Thanks for posting that here, I gave it a try and based on my experience I wouldn't pay what they are currently asking for, but probably would subscribe it it were cheaper.

The streams were reliable over the whole weekend - I didn't experience any dropouts or buffering at all, which was pleasing considering what I had read in this thread. Keep in mind that my speed test was showing 91kbps....

The quality on my IPad was excellent, although the delay of 74 seconds between my IPad and the SBS coverage isn't acceptable. The delay was large enough that I knew about two Tottenham goals before I had seen them, which is poor as you have to avoid social media and certain forums.

The quality on the TV however via the Apple TV was an absolute disgrace despite my high internet speed and was so bad that you couldn't watch it. SBS was coming through in crystal clear HD and then you had a complete schemozle of a picture through Optus Sport on over a minute delay :drunk:. It didn't matter if I changed the stream quality, airplayed or anything else it was just s**t, especially when the sun was out. NBA League Pass comes out in a very similar quality to what ESPN provides through Foxtel so it was bitterly disappointing to experience the s**t that was coming out of Optus Sport.

Based on my experience, If I purchased an Optus Sport subscription then I would only be able to watch it via my IPad which makes it not worth the money.

Ohh I wondered why it was ridiculously impossible to get into the Optus servers to watch our game with Man City. Must have been their servers overloading.

It's a horrifying insight into what would actually happen if Optus had the same amount of EPL viewers that Foxtel had.

I didn't receive any degradation at all this weekend on the Apple TV or Fetch (I never use the PC app), yet Foxtel Play turned to s**t for all users, logging us out of Telstra TVs during AFL/NRL/F1, and wouldn't allow re-access both Sat and Sun (could get on in the wee hours of Sun morn).

And the Fetch Mighty I now have didn't miss a beat, with about 10 items recorded, including several eps of Football Today and the LFC games against Bournemouth and Stoke.

I found the match-day live/goal rush stream quality deteriorated over the weekend but if you went into the individual games it was fine.

I know this will be unpopular but as someone who didn't have Foxtel beforehand I freaking love having EPL on Optus. Since the first 2x weeks the streams have been fine and reliable, quality is good enough (albeit not HD), now works on chrome cast, and love being able to watch it on my phone into work when there's games on weekday mornings.

If they could fix the delay I'd be perfectly happy. Will stay with Optus as long as they have the EPL.

I'll be honest, although I miss having it on Foxtel, my boycott of Optus hasn't hurt anywhere near how I thought it would. I've not missed a Spurs game and have found pretty decent quality streams every time.

In summary, * Optus and their standover tactics.

I'll be honest, although I miss having it on Foxtel, my boycott of Optus hasn't hurt anywhere near how I thought it would. I've not missed a Spurs game and have found pretty decent quality streams every time.

In summary, **** Optus and their standover tactics.

That's the whole reason why Optus are struggling with the whole exercise. Pretty hard sell to convince fans to sign another unwanted mobile phone contract so they can access what is just an internet stream which are easily found elsewhere.

It's a shame because the content & presentation is actually pretty good. Interesting to see what comes of the free 7 day trial for non Optus customers. Perhaps they'll open it up for the start of next season. Can see plenty of fans who would be happy to fork out $25 / month for what is on offer.

That's the whole reason why Optus are struggling with the whole exercise. Pretty hard sell to convince fans to sign another unwanted mobile phone contract so they can access what is just an internet stream which are easily found elsewhere.

It's a shame because the content & presentation is actually pretty good. Interesting to see what comes of the free 7 day trial for non Optus customers. Perhaps they'll open it up for the start of next season. Can see plenty of fans who would be happy to fork out $25 / month for what is on offer.

I'd subscribe if it was similar cost to NFL Gamepass and not tied to an Optus SIM contract but I'm certainly not interested at $60 a month. Daylight robbery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back