TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah get used to not being able to watch us because they don't have good enough mobile coverage to stream the games live

Hasn't there only been two mid-week games so far?

FSN doesn't get used for a normal matchday. Nor do other FS channels.

They had the rights two seasons ago, are people really that forgetful?

To go back to Gero's original complaint, 90 EPL games can't be shown on demand. That was true under Fox Sports and now under Optus. It's not an Optus issue.
I wasn't here two years ago. I never record games anyway I'd always watch live. I don't think there was ever a Spurs game not shown.

In terms of 3pm games. There's normally only 5. With an early and late sat plus 3 on super Sunday. So the red button would be enough

Hasn't there only been two mid-week games so far?
Yeah two so far. Think it's because I used to also get CL over there which isn't really Optus Sports fault that I can't watch it here. But it is Optus mobile coverage that has made that a struggle

FYI fox and Optus showing any 3pm is better than what it's like in the U.K. where the games aren't shown at all.

It does encourage you to try and get a ticket though

I wasn't here two years ago. I never record games anyway I'd always watch live. I don't think there was ever a Spurs game not shown.

In terms of 3pm games. There's normally only 5. With an early and late sat plus 3 on super Sunday. So the red button would be enough

Yeah two so far. Think it's because I used to also get CL over there which isn't really Optus Sports fault that I can't watch it here. But it is Optus mobile coverage that has made that a struggle

So you mean when I said that "When there's 6 3pm games Fox Sports didn't show one, and on the final day they only showed 6-7" I was right?

Optus mobile has made it a struggle to watch Champions League?

So you mean when I said that "When there's 6 3pm games Fox Sports didn't show one, and on the final day they only showed 6-7" I was right?

Optus mobile has made it a struggle to watch Champions League?
Yeah Optus mobile drops out far too much to live stream on the go which is a normal thing to do during the week when games are on.

I don't think I've ever noticed since they're more often 5 games. And missing 1 game every 4-6 GWs isn't going to effect too many Australian fans. Sucks for you and any of the non recognised sides. But I doubt any of the "big 9" (including Everton, Newcastle, west ham) would ever notice 1 game a month not being shown.

There are 6 FS channels. If there was more than 6 games on simultaneously the other games were on red button live. For the final day every game was live, they used the main event and fox sports news channels to televise them all.
My thought too.

Not fussed with who's at fault. Just can't wait for this s**t deal to end so I can pick the best phone deal based on nothing but phone service.
Definitely wouldn't be Optus.

My thought too.

Not fussed with who's at fault. Just can't wait for this s**t deal to end so I can pick the best phone deal based on nothing but phone service.
Definitely wouldn't be Optus.
My train trip and then walk to work is 45-60 mins long, I get good enough service to live stream for 10-15 mins max.

Feels like the good old dial up days in the early 2000s

Yeah Optus mobile drops out far too much to live stream on the go which is a normal thing to do during the week when games are on.

I don't think I've ever noticed since they're more often 5 games. And missing 1 game every 4-6 GWs isn't going to effect too many Australian fans. Sucks for you and any of the non recognised sides. But I doubt any of the "big 9" (including Everton, Newcastle, west ham) would ever notice 1 game a month not being shown.

Wasn't exactly the point. Zidane said they showed every single game which they didn't. Gero blamed Optus for a lack of on demand games which isn't Optus' fault. The end.

My train trip and then walk to work is 45-60 mins long, I get good enough service to live stream for 10-15 mins max.

Where do you work? I catch the train from the suburbs into the City and have perfect reception on my 4G the entire way.

Where do you work? I catch the train from the suburbs into the City and have perfect reception on my 4G the entire way.
Inner city. Near the G in Richmond.

Travel from 20kms to the city to basically on its doorstep and can't get good enough coverage to stream live (or even watch a show). When I read about how bad internet speeds were the past few years I didn't get it. But it really is noticeable just how much worse it is than England and NZ

Even worse commute to Melbourne. Get taken out the back of Werribee and there's little or no reception (SOS Only) for probably 40/60 minutes of the trip.

Inner city. Near the G in Richmond.

Travel from 20kms to the city to basically on its doorstep and can't get good enough coverage to stream live (or even watch a show). When I read about how bad internet speeds were the past few years I didn't get it. But it really is noticeable just how much worse it is than England and NZ
You should speak to Optus - I live in the same spot and can stream no worries. Have never had an issue streaming on the go, my issues are when trying to use Chromecast.

Wowee, this thread jumped forward quickly today...

For the record, not every game was live on Foxtel and definitely not all those live were in HD (720p is technically HD, not Full HD).

Foxtel did show all games delayed. Optus also shows all games delayed. Optus only show around 290 of the 380 games On Demand. Foxtel never showed any games On Demand. Both have the ability to record if you have/had the right equipment.

Optus 4g works better for me than Telstra ever did (inner NW Melbourne). Average speed tests sit mid 90mbps for Optus as opposed to mid 20mbps for Telstra. Optus doesn’t drop out in my house whilst Telstra constantly had me walking from room to room to be heard. I don’t use Optus internet so can’t comment on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should speak to Optus - I live in the same spot and can stream no worries. Have never had an issue streaming on the go, my issues are when trying to use Chromecast.
I'm ok when I'm in one spot. But on the train Parkdale to Caulfield no chance of streaming. Then even the walk in Richmond struggles.

Wowee, this thread jumped forward quickly today...

For the record, not every game was live on Foxtel and definitely not all those live were in HD (720p is technically HD, not Full HD).

Foxtel did show all games delayed. Optus also shows all games delayed. Optus only show around 290 of the 380 games On Demand. Foxtel never showed any games On Demand. Both have the ability to record if you have/had the right equipment.

Optus 4g works better for me than Telstra ever did (inner NW Melbourne). Average speed tests sit mid 90mbps for Optus as opposed to mid 20mbps for Telstra. Optus doesn’t drop out in my house whilst Telstra constantly had me walking from room to room to be heard. I don’t use Optus internet so can’t comment on that.

Was waiting for you to come in and be the voice of sanity.

In my experience Telstra reception in general is miles better than Optus although there may be a few exceptions.

You can only record on Optus if you are an Optus broadband customer. And that's the biggest shortfall of the platform IMO without upsetting the Optus fanboys.

I hope Bein gets the rights next time around.

In my experience Telstra reception in general is miles better than Optus although there may be a few exceptions.

You can only record on Optus if you are an Optus broadband customer. And that's the biggest shortfall of the platform IMO without upsetting the Optus fanboys.

So if you have the ability to watch the PL you have the right to record it. Just as you did before. Stop trying to argue over nothing.

Agreed. beIN or Fox not fussed as it’d be on the same platform you’d think given they have an agreement with each other.

16 months is enough to evaluate I think and I’m not convinced the product has improved and I have it with best possible streaming conditions whereas quite a few wouldn’t be as lucky

Agreed. beIN or Fox not fussed as it’d be on the same platform you’d think given they have an agreement with each other.

16 months is enough to evaluate I think and I’m not convinced the product has improved and I have it with best possible streaming conditions whereas quite a few wouldn’t be as lucky

If they could fix the damned delay it'd be near perfect I think.

Foxtel is wonderful isn’t it. The best sitcoms in a Christmas marathon....

Unless you want to see one in the last two decades. Maybe the UK and US banned comedy on TV 20years ago

So if you have the ability to watch the PL you have the right to record it. Just as you did before. Stop trying to argue over nothing.

I believe you need the Fetch Mighty to be able to record games? The mini won't record games, so if it isn’t on demand, you have to wait until it’s replayed on Optus Sport one.

I believe you need the Fetch Mighty to be able to record games? The mini won't record games, so if it isn’t on demand, you have to wait until it’s replayed on Optus Sport one.

And the Foxtel box I have doesn't let me record either. We really are just going around in circles now. Fwoy summed it up perfectly.

Optus broadband is a s**t unwanted product that you have to sign up for if you want to record PL on Optus via Fetch.

Last time I checked there was no requirement to have a Telstra phone / broadband / mobile phone if you wanted a Foxtel iq2 box.

That is a significant issue no matter what way you want to play it.

Optus broadband is a s**t unwanted product that you have to sign up for if you want to record PL on Optus via Fetch.

Last time I checked there was no requirement to have a Telstra phone / broadband / mobile phone if you wanted a Foxtel iq2 box.

That is a significant issue no matter what way you want to play it.

Of course that's an issue that I've always been annoyed about and one completely irrelevant to the discussion. Strawman all you want though.

I have a Fetch Mighty and no broadband through Optus. Just go into your My Optus page, click on the Fetch logo and select add a box.

Also, you could use a PVR like the Beyonwiz T4 which has HDMI input to record if you so choose. As SM said, not all Foxtel boxes allow recording too, and if you’re a Foxtel Now customer, by choice or not (as am I), too bad as well...

Also, beIN plays what...2-4 games live per week of each league they have the rights to (if that)...Are they suddenly going to open 5-6 new channels to run all games live? Is Foxtel going to give them space on the spectrum at no extra cost? Will they all be HD or back to Red Dot? And when Rugby or WTA Tennis comes along, what stops beIN shafting football fans even further like they currently do?

I guess I’m called an Optus fanboy because it works well for me and I don’t have a pre-disposed need to suck Foxtel’s jingle bells... apart from having a phone that works 100% of the time, and watching the Football channel, I have nothing to do with them. The truth is, I’d be happy with any company continuing the same supply feed. I just don’t see Foxtel or beIN Sport doing so...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back