News Orazio Fantasia departs for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

People worried about losing Bonner need to remember that.

1. He wasn't best 22 by the end of 2020
2. Lienert can play his role to a higher standard.
3. Jones will jump straight past him.
4. Garner could play his role instantly with very little if any loss to the team
5. Bergmann is highly likely to go straight past him.

At best in 2021 he is outside the 22 and 3rd in line for that spot.

At worst he is 5th in line.

Yes he might improve and earn that spot but he might also regress ala Pittard

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to ensure we have enough points to cover for Jones if he is bid on by Crows pick one or two or somewhere in the top 10 which I wouldn’t put past them. Draft pick value will be diminished as clubs bid on other clubs academy players.
We also need points for Taj.
Surely we can’t risk missing out on them?

Bonner would walk all over Pittard.
If Bonner is the deal Dodo shouldn’t be thinking twice. Could be done and dusted on day one unless Bonner wants to be elsewhere.

Bonner would walk all over Pittard.
If Bonner is the deal Dodo shouldn’t be thinking twice. Could be done and dusted on day one unless Bonner wants to be elsewhere.

I saw Jasper catch a football once. Off the top of my head I can't remember Bonner doing the same. I'm sure he has, in fact I'm positive he has but catching footballers are handy to have.

Trading anything of value for an injury wrecked small forward with a price tag is the opposite of addressing our list's needs

Is it?

We played Motlop all year for a return of about two good games. We played Farrell half the year for one good game. We played Sutcliffe up there a few times for zero good games. We played Woodcock five times for a return of 3 goals. We've just lost Ebert. We'll lose Gray within a year or two. We should be looking at getting Rozee or Butters more midfield time. With all that considered, I don't see how you could argue that small forward isn't a need for us.

You can argue that Fantasia isn't the forward we should be chasing if you like, but that's a case of you not liking the particular player, not a case of Fantasia not filling a need. If he gets his body right and his best form back (and I'm not denying that those are both big if's), he absolutely fills a need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be prepared for a second rounder at the absolute minimum to be the cost. Unfortunately his perceived value on this board is very far away from his perceived value everywhere else.

Seems to be the case for every Essendon ‘sTaR’ who has a good year once, regardless of whether or not they go on with it.

If we get Oraaaaaaaaaazio and Liam Mcbean I'm gonna get my Port 2021 premiers tattoo now
Whose Liam
2? I’m not sure we gave him a 5 year deal
I thought it was 4 same as Rockliff

Is it?

We played Motlop all year for a return of about two good games. We played Farrell half the year for one good game. We played Sutcliffe up there a few times for zero good games. We played Woodcock five times for a return of 3 goals. We've just lost Ebert. We'll lose Gray within a year or two. We should be looking at getting Rozee or Butters more midfield time. With all that considered, I don't see how you could argue that small forward isn't a need for us.

You can argue that Fantasia isn't the forward we should be chasing if you like, but that's a case of you not liking the particular player, not a case of Fantasia not filling a need. If he gets his body right and his best form back (and I'm not denying that those are both big if's), he absolutely fills a need.
The funny thing is Motlop, Farrell, Sutcliffe and Woodcock were all better value than Fantasia in 2020 who played 5 games for 1 goal. Plus we already own them and don't have to trade. Just because a player wants to "come home", and falls in our lap cheap, so what. Too right Fantasia isn't the forward we should be chasing. Way too many ifs. We can do better. Where's the next Dan Butler? How did Saints nab him? We don't necessarily need a small forward, just better forwards who will be best 22, not fluffing around with risky fringe players with questionable character.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back