News Orazio Fantasia departs for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I can’t believe we took him. We tried before and he closed the door on us.

He has a history of a crap work ethic and consistent performance.

Plenty of whispers with fitness staff saying he’s undisciplined, won’t follow their instructions, only follows his own, which isn’t working!

I’d dump him like a hot potato and let him do his podcast.

Personally I can’t believe we took him. We tried before and he closed the door on us.

He has a history of a crap work ethic and consistent performance.

Plenty of whispers with fitness staff saying he’s undisciplined, won’t follow their instructions, only follows his own, which isn’t working!

I’d dump him like a hot potato and let him do his podcast.

I am sure there was an element of not rating Essendon's fitness staff and believing we could do better. It was the fact we traded a 2nd and 3rd for him that I thought was bullshit. He is a handy player when fully fit, but he has only played more than 10 games in 5 out of likely 10 seasons. I was happy to pot Motlop but he presented in superb nick every year and did thankless running all game. You could at least bank on him being on the park for the finals we needed him for. Other than 2016-17, he's been less than a 75% chance to be on the field even in his better years. If you can't gaurantee he will be fit for 3 finals in a row, he has no place on our list. SPP, Rioli offer enough forward power with the Mcentee's, evan's of the world able to put up forward pressure + a goal here or there. If Sinn makes it, it will likely be him taking over JHF's role to start as well. We need the list spots to develop rucks, KPDs, rather than hoping a guy who will be 28 when he's OOC will be fitter than he's been in the past 6 years.

When fit, he's a star.
I am vacillating between the lowest cost contract possible to delisting.

To not play with a niggle is not good.
To not train at intensity is crazy. You need to get your body game ready.

He could win us a final but then again his spot could be used on a young small forward goalsneak with huge upside.

The whole Fantasia thing is more disappointing than anything.
We don't have any small forwards bashing the door down, and we don't have many good picks in the next draft. We have a player who can win games off his own boot when fit - I'd be delisting him with a view to pick him up in the PSD if we can't get someone half decent in the draft.

I have full faith in his footballing abilities, and think he's a rare and unique talent. I don't want to delist him to pick up some bloke that never plays a game and just clogs a spot for a few years. I'd rather use it on someone that MAY come good and be a star for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best work to salary income i've ever seen.

I worked for the government in the 90s. Even at much lower pay rates, my work to pay was ($100k * 7 years) / 5minutes work. That's $8.4M an hour!

When fit, he's a star.

We don't have any small forwards bashing the door down, and we don't have many good picks in the next draft. We have a player who can win games off his own boot when fit - I'd be delisting him with a view to pick him up in the PSD if we can't get someone half decent in the draft.

I have full faith in his footballing abilities, and think he's a rare and unique talent. I don't want to delist him to pick up some bloke that never plays a game and just clogs a spot for a few years. I'd rather use it on someone that MAY come good and be a star for us.

With Rioli out, we have McEntee and Evans playing. We could plug in Burgoyne or Sinn up forward.

Yeah, I like the idea of Fantasia. I don't think he is a star. I don't think he is a rare and unique talent at all.
He's pretty good when he gets on the field but I can't remember when that has been.
He's kicked goals in his first year with us in 2021 and not done much since.

2016 and 2017 he had his best years with the Bombers, at one stage going 2 goals a game which is pretty good.

When you hear that he can't play with a niggle or when you hear he has his own workouts and doesn't listen to the fitness staff or when you see the lack of definition in his body, you just wonder.

I'm all for talent but there is a line to draw. At the moment, I just don't know exactly where it is for Orazio. I think I would give him the league minimum and see how he goes.

I am sure there was an element of not rating Essendon's fitness staff and believing we could do better. It was the fact we traded a 2nd and 3rd for him that I thought was bullshit. He is a handy player when fully fit, but he has only played more than 10 games in 5 out of likely 10 seasons. I was happy to pot Motlop but he presented in superb nick every year and did thankless running all game. You could at least bank on him being on the park for the finals we needed him for. Other than 2016-17, he's been less than a 75% chance to be on the field even in his better years. If you can't gaurantee he will be fit for 3 finals in a row, he has no place on our list. SPP, Rioli offer enough forward power with the Mcentee's, evan's of the world able to put up forward pressure + a goal here or there. If Sinn makes it, it will likely be him taking over JHF's role to start as well. We need the list spots to develop rucks, KPDs, rather than hoping a guy who will be 28 when he's OOC will be fitter than he's been in the past 6 years.

Yeah, we definitely paid overs for Fantasia and at the time there were plenty on this site who were questioning why we would want him. In seven seasons with the Bombers Fantasia managed 71 games and only ever got through one season unscathed. As someone else posted maybe we thought our medicos could do something the Essendon medical staff could not.

Fantasia looks too fragile for the rough and tumble of AFL footy. Last Sunday Connor Rozee took a massive hit from a Bomber player but he got back up and went on playing. If that had been Orazio he would still be in the hands of the trainers.

Not one of our best trades.

Yeah, we definitely paid overs for Fantasia and at the time there were plenty on this site who were questioning why we would want him. In seven seasons with the Bombers Fantasia managed 71 games and only ever got through one season unscathed. As someone else posted maybe we thought our medicos could do something the Essendon medical staff could not.

Fantasia looks too fragile for the rough and tumble of AFL footy. Last Sunday Connor Rozee took a massive hit from a Bomber player but he got back up and went on playing. If that had been Orazio he would still be in the hands of the trainers.

Not one of our best trades.

At least we know we have some salary cap space.

So Orazio Fantasia translated means Fantasy Prayer!!!!!!!

I am sure there was an element of not rating Essendon's fitness staff and believing we could do better ....
There's a lot to be said for that. But we can look at trades for injury prone players like Matthew White which worked reasonably well and convince ourselves lightning will strike favourably again. It's the fact that Fantasia came at a decent cost that irritates. I was going to use Angus Monfries and Tom Rockliff as examples too but I checked that out, and while both had trouble staying on the park before and after coming to us they don't come close to Fantasia.

This is all hearsay though. I take it with a grain of salt.
Yeah, you never know what people say on here and whether it is legit.

However, if those things are correct [and the 3rd one is not hearsay, you can just look at him and see he doesn't have an AFL physique], he definitely gets injured and doesn't play a lot.

Even the games he played this year. to me, reeked of being underdone, physically, mentally. I was watching him and Rioli as I was hoping they would click together.

In context Hobo, when he was signed, I was super excited to see what he could do because I love a small goalsneak and we really haven't had a good one during our AFL years. One of those guys who kicks a couple of goals a game, crumbs beautifully, keeps the feet and you are absolutely petrified when he gets the ball in hand no matter where he is in the F50. They usually are a tad irritating and have a horrible hair cut but can wins games off their own boot.

When he gets over his injury, he still might be able to make an impact this year. Stranger things have happened.

In context Hobo, when he was signed, I was super excited to see what he could do because I love a small goalsneak and we really haven't had a good one during our AFL years. One of those guys who kicks a couple of goals a game, crumbs beautifully, keeps the feet and you are absolutely petrified when he gets the ball in hand no matter where he is in the F50. They usually are a tad irritating and have a horrible hair cut but can wins games off their own boot.

When he gets over his injury, he still might be able to make an impact this year. Stranger things have happened.

Wingard for a period of time before he went into the midfield is probably the closest we've had. Daniel Motlop the other.

I know what you mean, and agree that he looked underdone (I thought it was just lack of confidence in his body).

Let's hope he gets it together. A fit and firing Fantasia and Rioli working together would be absolute terror for the opposition once the ball hits the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back