News Orazio Fantasia departs for Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no doubt Fantasia has the skill to be more effective than McEntee, so assuming he wasn't injured yesterday, and if he trains well this week, I would give him a crack against the tigs.
My worry with Fantasia is his defensive game, does he tackle? Can he tackle? Does he chase? Our strength is causing turnovers when the oppo is trying to kick out of our 50 I’m not sure if that’s Fantasia’s strength.

My worry with Fantasia is his defensive game, does he tackle? Can he tackle? Does he chase? Our strength is causing turnovers when the oppo is trying to kick out of our 50 I’m not sure if that’s Fantasia’s strength.
It's a reasonable point especially for someone who has played bugger all high tempo AFL for a couple of years.

Just * him off. His body is not up to it. Sad because he can be a game changer but way too high a risk for finals, especially after being out for so long.

You obviously have to look at 2021 stats, but his defensive work isn't too far behind McEntee's this year:
Tackles: 2.0 v 2.6
Tackles i50: 1 v 1.3
Pressure acts 11.9 v 16.2

Goals 1.9 v 0.7
Shots at goal: 3.8 v 1.2
SIs 6 v 3.5

The only advantage McEntee has is pressure acts, but that's at the cost of significantly less scoreboard impact. You'd need to drill down a fair bit to then assess how much that increased pressure results in turnovers and eventually shots at goal/score involvements to make a good comparison of the impact between the two.

I'd pick him this week.

It's the kind of hail Mary we need to take if we want to win a flag from where we are.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No.

1. Willie Rioli does exactly what we want Fantasia doing. Fantasia would simply be a spectator. Willie gets injured/suspended then maybe look but Fantasia will not offer a greater output and would more like than not just get in the way.

2. About 2 years since his last afl game when has that ever worked?

No.

1. Willie Rioli does exactly what we want Fantasia doing. Fantasia would simply be a spectator. Willie gets injured/suspended then maybe look but Fantasia will not offer a greater output and would more like than not just get in the way.

We need more than Willie.

Our i50 conversions still suck and none of our key forwards look like getting it done in the air consistently enough.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

Willie Rioli came straight back into West Coast's side in 2022 after two years off and kicked 7 goals in his first 3 games. Yeah he had an offseason, but Fantasia has played a reasonable amount of SANFL footy too, including a good game back last week. Absolutely no risk playing him against Richmond. If he does well, could be a big boost for finals.

do you really want him kicking 4 in another qualifying final only to kick 1 point in the prelim, that's just a filthy tease
Absolutely agree with this comment.

I love my stats, and some are trotting out some great Fantasia stats, but my memory is sadly his stats are padded out by big games against easy opposition.

His highlights are great but cannot be trusted to consistently deliver when it counts.

Absolutely agree with this comment.

I love my stats, and some are trotting out some great Fantasia stats, but my memory is sadly his stats are padded out by big games against easy opposition.

His highlights are great but cannot be trusted to consistently deliver when it counts.

This logic would be fine if McEntee was tearing it up out there. But he's not - he's barely contributing.

Even a bog average game from Fantasia will still match the current output from McEntee. And given that we know Fantasia CAN jag a bag here and there, that's more likely to happen than it coming from McEntee.

You obviously have to look at 2021 stats, but his defensive work isn't too far behind McEntee's this year:
Tackles: 2.0 v 2.6
Tackles i50: 1 v 1.3
Pressure acts 11.9 v 16.2

Goals 1.9 v 0.7
Shots at goal: 3.8 v 1.2
SIs 6 v 3.5

The only advantage McEntee has is pressure acts, but that's at the cost of significantly less scoreboard impact. You'd need to drill down a fair bit to then assess how much that increased pressure results in turnovers and eventually shots at goal/score involvements to make a good comparison of the impact between the two.
It's the pressure actst that I think McEntee doesn't get credit for. I know people get frustrated that he's lucky to kick a goal per game but it's his pressure that people miss. I tend to agree with others that while Rioli is there to provide the flair McEntee is there for the goal assists.

Thanks for providing the stats it's really interesting, I guess we have to factor in that Raz is a bit older and slower now (and probably wary of doing a calf). I'm shocking at comparing stats would love to see their Goal Assists. I just feel (and I don't have stats to back it up) that McEntee is tougher and gets under the ball more. I'm also a fan that he's kicking a drop punt rather than a banana (like last week) to score.

It’s the perfect time to try him. Dead rubber after Brisbane win. If he succeeds it gives the opposition headaches. If it fails, we know.

He may now be the 8th forward, but we need to know what we have in reserve. It may not be McEntee he replaces either.

It's the pressure actst that I think McEntee doesn't get credit for. I know people get frustrated that he's lucky to kick a goal per game but it's his pressure that people miss. I tend to agree with others that while Rioli is there to provide the flair McEntee is there for the goal assists.

Thanks for providing the stats it's really interesting, I guess we have to factor in that Raz is a bit older and slower now (and probably wary of doing a calf). I'm shocking at comparing stats would love to see their Goal Assists. I just feel (and I don't have stats to back it up) that McEntee is tougher and gets under the ball more. I'm also a fan that he's kicking a drop punt rather than a banana (like last week) to score.
They both average 0.5 goal assists in the relevant years. However, score involvements are a little more instructive than just goal assists.

The other thing to note is that McEntee's pressure acts stats are pretty good but not elite. So the whole argument is that he's in the side as an elite pressure player is missing the mark, as he's just ok in this area, with the trade-off of being completely sub-par offensively.

No.

If Willie and Raz both do the same thing, and they combine to do it together, we win. We might as well roll the dice and do it. We can live with just one of DBJ and Mac'n'Cheese doing pressure forward things, we need goals to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back