AFLW Our Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With the GOAT Erin Phillips retiring, it's time for a new captain for our women's team.

The two stand-out choices for mine are Gemma Houghton & Ashleigh Saint: They're both in the right age brackets for the role, and they're obviously two of our better and more decorated players.

Ashleigh Saint bleeds for the jumper, but she can tend to have quieter patches during games, whereas Gemma Houghton is nearly always in our best players, even when we're getting smashed she's still pushing up the ground, busting her guts and getting involved in everything. She would definitely set a good example for the rest of the team to follow.

With the GOAT Erin Phillips retiring, it's time for a new captain for our women's team.

The two stand-out choices for mine are Gemma Houghton & Ashleigh Saint: They're both in the right age brackets for the role, and they're obviously two of our better and more decorated players.

Ashleigh Saint bleeds for the jumper, but she can tend to have quieter patches during games, whereas Gemma Houghton is nearly always in our best players, even when we're getting smashed she's still pushing up the ground, busting her guts and getting involved in everything. She would definitely set a good example for the rest of the team to follow.
Ashleigh Saint is perfect for the job

Worth noting that Foley and Cuthbertson are the current vice captains with Mules and Dunn in the leadership group.

They also announced that Teakle, Ballard, Syme and Moloney are part of a player voted emerging leaders group.

So none of the names mentioned here so far are currently regarded as leaders.

Worth noting that Foley and Cuthbertson are the current vice captains with Mules and Dunn in the leadership group.

They also announced that Teakle, Ballard, Syme and Moloney are part of a player voted emerging leaders group.

So none of the names mentioned here so far are currently regarded as leaders.

Foley is probably the next best option but she’ll be 36 next season so it seems pointless to give it to her.

Hannah Dunn has already captained an AFLW team so that could come into consideration.

Ballard, Syme and Teakle are all too young. In fact, Syme was playing as a 17 year old last year!

Justine Mules is very experienced, but I just don’t think she’s noticeable enough to be captain, and I could even put Hannah Dunn into that same basket.

I can’t think of any issue I’d have with Janelle Cuthbertson or Maria Moloney, but I still think it has to be one of Houghton or Saint.

Last edited:
Kirsty Lamb would be a near-perfect choice:

• 67 games worth of experience, been in the competition since the very beginning.
  • Proven quality, winning a club B&F and making an All-Australian team.
  • Port Adelaide person, being Paul Rizonico’s niece and growing up a Port supporter.

But, you probably couldn’t and wouldn’t give the captaincy to someone in their first year at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back