Pink Floyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Started listening to Floyd maybe four months ago. They have completely changed my opinion and appreciation of music. Dark Side of The Moon is hands down the best album i have ever listened to, and Animals and Wish You Were Here aren't far behind. Can't wait to see Roger Waters bring The Wall to Melbourne on Feb 11.

Started listening to Floyd maybe four months ago. They have completely changed my opinion and appreciation of music.

i started listening to them probably 13 years ago but they had much the same effect. i went from almost exclusively metal and genres to devouring all sorts of music. it may have had something to do with the first time i seen the wall, i was stoned. DSOTM is one of my favorite albums of all time, and even though it is far more 'accessible' than the rest of their work it just has that beautiful simplicity.

i've never bothered with anything after the wall (edit: i have momentary lapse of reason), i have 13 albums i think, including 'works' which was an earlier best of.
... i also agree with david gilmour that atom heart mother should be burned and buried and never heard again.

... i also agree with david gilmour that atom heart mother should be burned and buried and never heard again.

I can't agree with Gilmour on that.
Atom Heart Mother has its place as a stepping stone to their later works.
Everyone has their favourites with Meddle & DSOTM being mine.

I lost some interest after WYWH and by the time The Final Cut came along I was all Floyd out.

He can't hate that much since he performed it with music students a few years ago -it's on youtube.

Personally think the title track on that album has some of Gilmour's finest work. It's a pity though the mix and fidelity is probably the worst in the Floyd catalog. The new remasters project may have improved things.

Meddle is my favourite album from them, and DSOTM thoroughly deserves its reputation and would make my Top 20.

When I was 17 I LOVED Animals. And Wish You Were Here was my Year 12 study background music.

Lots of love for the Floyd :thumbsu:

actually the wiki entry on AHM is more accurate with the quote / quoter i came up with.

quotes

has inspired me to listen to it again in the near future. there's a couple of songs on there that are ok but i can leave most of it.

Animals is a stunning album. It seems to be one of those "forgotten" albums that rarely gets talked about, but I think it's a masterpiece. Was brilliant to see Roger Waters play Sheep in 2007 concert, and also Dogs on In The Flesh DVD.

Love the Floyd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a couple of Floyd albums before DSOTM was released. The first time I heard it was when my missus and I went out to a splendid French restaurant, in Perth, to celebrate a birthday.

The food was sensational. We drank a vintage bottle or three of Chateauneuf-du-Pape, the effect of which I could only compare with LSD. They played the album, which had just been released that week, on a loop the whole night. There has been nothing like that night, before or since.

Many years later, a subsequent girlfriend and I sat down to watch the doco. about the making of DSOTM, on DVD. At the end of it, in a pre-emptive move, because I knew she hated rock and roll music, I said, "Just another rock and roll band." She became quite indignant at this sally. She'd never heard the album, even though it had been recorded thirty years before, but she recognised that there was something special going on with this band.

Animals is a stunning album. It seems to be one of those "forgotten" albums that rarely gets talked about, but I think it's a masterpiece. Was brilliant to see Roger Waters play Sheep in 2007 concert, and also Dogs on In The Flesh DVD.

Love the Floyd.

Agree, Animals is phenomenal. The concept is just incredible, so deep. If you haven't already, read George Orwell's Animal Farm, which apart from being a classic piece of literature, inspired the concept of this album. In my opinion Dogs is one of Floyd's best songs ever.

Loved some of their early stuff too. Songs like Careful with that axe Eugene, Pow r toc h, See Emily Play, Remember A Day, Interstellar Overdrive, Lucifer Sam, Astronomy Domine, Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk.

Throw in Matilda Mother, Arnold Layne, The Gnome, Let There Be More Light and Jugband Blues.

Early Floyd is awesome and mostly due to the genius that was Syd Barrett. You wonder if they would have taken the same direction with Syd still in the band.

Highly unlikely, as Gilmour was quite an influential figure in the Floyd chemistry.
I think the moment of the Barrett influence would have come apart whether he was still there or not.

Highly unlikely, as Gilmour was quite an influential figure in the Floyd chemistry.
I think the moment of the Barrett influence would have come apart whether he was still there or not.

I tend to agree with this. Syd Barrett would have left the band rather than be involved in Dark Side of the Moon. I doubt he would have got it.

Then again, it's also possible he foresaw the insanity that would come with fame, because he was already living it, in his own way. Given the choice of fame or money, I'd take the money every time. Most bands failed to achieve even a modicum of financial security, no matter how successful. There's a book in that, if it hasn't already been done.

DSOTM is a classic album, but for sheer brilliance you can't go past the Wall.

Highly recomend that you watch 'The Wall' movie with Sir Bob Geldof, amazing to think they could tie a movie in place with the album

DSOTM is a classic album, but for sheer brilliance you can't go past the Wall.

Highly recomend that you watch 'The Wall' movie with Sir Bob Geldof, amazing to think they could tie a movie in place with the album

I can't agree with this. The Wall, save for a few songs (including Comfortably Numb) is basically a Roger Waters solo album.
There is no denying how in depth the concept is and it is still a very good album, but musically Dark Side simply Eclipses The Wall. With Dark Side, one could easily listen to any song stand alone (save for maybe Speak To Me and On The Run) and they would still be fantastic. A large portion of the songs on The Wall, though perhaps necessary to the story, aren't individually very accessible. Collectively it's a great piece of work, although not as great as Thr Dark Side Of The Moon. In my opinion of course.

I can't agree with this. The Wall, save for a few songs (including Comfortably Numb) is basically a Roger Waters solo album.
There is no denying how in depth the concept is and it is still a very good album, but musically Dark Side simply Eclipses The Wall. With Dark Side, one could easily listen to any song stand alone (save for maybe Speak To Me and On The Run) and they would still be fantastic. A large portion of the songs on The Wall, though perhaps necessary to the story, aren't individually very accessible. Collectively it's a great piece of work, although not as great as Thr Dark Side Of The Moon. In my opinion of course.

I agree with everything that you have said about DSOTM. You will never hear me say a bad word against it. However over the last couple of years I have started to appreciate the Wall more and more.

Taking only individual tracks into account DSOTM will win, no doubt. However for the brilliance of a whole album, it's concept and story telling you can't go past The Wall. There will never be another album that is so in depth with it's story and production.

Either way IMO opinion both albums are classics, the best album really depends on personnal tastes. Have you seen the movie 'The Wall'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back