Poll - Who would you rate as the weakest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the weakest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 64 4.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Essendon 1993

Votes: 73 4.7%
  • Carlton 1995

Votes: 16 1.0%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Adelaide 97-98

Votes: 126 8.2%
  • Essendon 2000

Votes: 34 2.2%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Port 2004

Votes: 40 2.6%
  • Sydney 2005

Votes: 35 2.3%
  • West Coast 2006

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

Votes: 28 1.8%
  • Collingwood 2010

Votes: 26 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 25 1.6%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 494 32.1%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 509 33.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only reason people still think we fluked it or are the worst premiership side is just lag from us being good now. People are used to thinking of Richmond as shit and we became good so fast people thought of it as a fluke. No way can the 'worst' premiership side easily win all three finals against the 3 other best sides over the course of the season. If Adelaide won no one would have called them 'the worst premiers ever' or worse than the dogs last year.

Flash in the pan champ. Look at the doggies... you'll be lucky to make the 8 next year. Physically taxing game plans need extreme mental aptitude and WHEN that drops off and you don't have the talent to back it up then you got nothing. If you guys go b2b I'll gladly eat my words but i know you wont even come close.
If all it takes is a physically taxing game plan why doesnt Geelong do it? Surely 1 flag would be better than bombing out in finals every year.

depends how you look at it...

tigers this year dismantled the rest of the top 4, despite the weight of recent history ('13-'15 capitulations) and further back (didnt they win more finals this year than they have between '83-'16?). they seem to be one of the closest teams i can recall watching, in terms of their admiration and love for each other. watching them hold up the song until ivan maric was in the circle was great.

id say they were extremely 'strong', personally.

the bulldogs last year - 3 away finals (perth, 3 times reigning premier, and arguably the most talent laden side in the comp), and then a GF against a great sydney team... all after finishing 7th. apparently it was all the bye, and 7th was where teams wanted to finish from here on out. and then this year happened. bad injury list, and some pretty sickening injuries both physically and emotionally.

id say they were also very 'strong'.

essendon '00 - great team, but clearly the best in it (maybe the best in history) and didnt have all that much standing in their way. they were brilliant, but in some ways their 'strength' wasnt really tested.

who is the weakest in terms of talent? who cares, but arguments can be made in any manner of ways on that.

who is the strongest in terms of talent? who cares, but arguments can be made in any manner of ways on that, too.

all premiers display strength, and all display weakness.

what i think is weak is denigrating achievements - whether expected (essendon '00) or remarkable (dogs '16, tigers '17) - out of jealousy and a need to belittle other teams for, it usually seems on BF, no other reason than it wasnt your team you got to watch succeeding.

i loved every second of richmonds success, including their dismantling of my own side in the QF. we werent up to it, they were, and cotchin has been something else these finals. his goal in the last quarter of the QF was my favourite moment of the finals.
If i could i would give 10000000 likes for your post
Brilliantly written , , could not agree more with everything you said

Flash in the pan champ. Look at the doggies... you'll be lucky to make the 8 next year. Physically taxing game plans need extreme mental aptitude and WHEN that drops off and you don't have the talent to back it up then you got nothing. If you guys go b2b I'll gladly eat my words but i know you wont even come close.

just like you all "knew" we would be a bottom 4 team before this season?

please, youve all been shifting the goalposts all year.

as for the talent aspect...Our B-C grade players get judged more harshly than the second-third tier players of other teams, because we have a long history of shit recruiting and drafting so when people see a bad game played by any of them, or a weakness, they automatically associate it with "richmond spud recruiting"

Not saying we are the most talented team int he league, but we do have quite a few players who would be viewed differently if you put them in a Sydney or Hawthorn jumper.

just like you all "knew" we would be a bottom 4 team before this season?

please, youve all been shifting the goalposts all year.

as for the talent aspect...Our B-C grade players get judged more harshly than the second-third tier players of other teams, because we have a history of shit recruiting and drafting so when people see a bad game played by any of them, or a weakness they automatically associate it with "richmond spud recruiting"

Not saying we are the most talented team int he league, but we do have quite a few players who would be viewed differently if you put them in a Sydney or Hawthorn jumper.
Yeah seriously. Guys like Grimes and Vlastuin would have been wanked to death over if they played in the hawthorn 3peat.

Nobody wants to have a crack at it? I didn't think so.

I'll have a crack at it.

Two at best.

Spangher and Duryea are the only blokes in question and I still have my doubts about them.

Hawthorn 2014 would SLAUGHTER Richmond or Adelaide 2017. Your comparison was ludicrous.

Here's my combined team (14/17)

B: Grimes, Rance, Gibson
HB: Burgoyne, Lake, Birchall
C: Lewis, Martin, Smith
HF: Breust, Riewoldt, Hodge
F: C.Rioli, Roughead, Gunstan
Fol: Nankervis, Cotchin, Mitchell
Isn't: Houli, Ellis, Lambert, Prestia

12 Hawks
10 Tigers

No. It really isn't.

Anyone with a reasonably well functioning brain.

What bothers you the most about the Richmond team?Was it the way they humiliated the opposition? Did they make it look too easy. Facts are facts .. they were one of the most dominant finals sides of all time.
That backline is probably the greatest ever assembled.
No one will ever be able to repeat their top 4 dominance.. just thank God you were alive to witness it.

Adelaide were pretty soft for a gf winning team. Even b2b doesn't change that. Norf choked they didn't win really. Dogs and youse judt played 1 great month of footy. You won the flag be happy but you're going to drop back to the pack. Deal with it. Your game plan won you a flag but i dont think you will get close next year. I don't think 9thmond necessarily as i think youll make the 8 but i dont think youse will get far.
One great month? You really are a sour little bitch. Typically this thread is full of sulky cats supporters who are sad we bashed them up in the prelim. Oh and that snake bloke..but thats not surprising.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One great month? You really are a sour little bitch. Typically this thread is full of sulky cats supporters who are sad we bashed them up in the prelim. Oh and that snake bloke..but thats not surprising.

We didn't play you in the prelim we played you in the first qualifying final. You had a very solid year with some great wins and you had a great month. What's untrue about what i said?

Still dont get this thread. Clearly made to clutch at any chance to degrade our flag by the usual jealous haters. Trying to use hawks as a example is ridiculous. Ofcourse where not better than that team. Not many are or Will be, doesnt make our flag any less deserving. I won't go into all the players people continuously bring that aren't any good. But i will mention lambert. Incredible year and finals series, how dont people rate him? Is he not rated because he wasnt a top pick or had a slow start? Maybe it just clicked. I just think the way people are carrying on here people are getting away from the fact that its extremely hard to win a grandfinal. Reading in here makes it sound like cake walk.

Still dont get this thread. Clearly made to clutch at any chance to degrade our flag by the usual jealous haters. Trying to use hawks as a example is ridiculous. Ofcourse where not better than that team. Not many are or Will be, doesnt make our flag any less deserving. I won't go into all the players people continuously bring that aren't any good. But i will mention lambert. Incredible year and finals series, how dont people rate him? Is he not rated because he wasnt a top pick or had a slow start? Maybe it just clicked. I just think the way people are carrying on here people are getting away from the fact that its extremely hard to win a grandfinal. Reading in here makes it sound like cake walk.

Dude..dont interrupt their 'we didn't win the flag this year' circle jerk.

1st Richmond: 18 wins, 7 losses
2nd Adelaide: 17 wins, 7 losses, 1 draw
3rd Geelong: 16 wins, 8 losses, 1 draw
4th GWS Giants: 15 wins, 8 losses, 2 draws
5th Sydney: 15 wins, 9 losses
6th West Coast: 13 wins, 11 losses
7th Port Adelaide: 14 wins, 9 losses
8th Essendon: 12 wins, 11 losses

Best record in the league. "One great month" lol.

I've only been on big footy for 12 months, and **** me, in that time I've posted alot of drunken crap, but spare me, the shit that comes out of tiger fans on this site goes beyond anything I could think of after my 1st slab.

I've only been on big footy for 12 months, and **** me, in that time I've posted alot of drunken crap, but spare me, the shit that comes out of tiger fans on this site goes beyond anything I could think of after my 1st slab.

You should've been here a few years earlier. I had Essendon supporters telling me they wouldn't get banned for doping, wouldn't get the spoon and Richmond's list would never win a flag.

Crazy, crazy stuff.

You should've been here a few years earlier. I had Essendon supporters telling me they wouldn't get banned for doping, wouldn't get the spoon and Richmond's list would never win a flag.

Crazy, crazy stuff.
Plead guilty to the latter, a clutch at straws but it took a good Essendon boy to lead you the way

It's a different era now boys & girls.

The right of passage to the ultimate success used to be that you had to be a good side for a number of years or at the very least be the best team of the competition for a season. Now you've got teams winning premierships from 7th on the ladder......then missing the finals the following year......and now a side wins it from finishing 13th the year before.

Has our competition become a 1 in 8 lottery chance when the finals begin? If this trend continues.....premierships will be as worthy as junior sports participation awards in which every club soon enough will eventually get one.

Essendon, Melbourne, St Kilda gonna win the flag in 2018? Come on....

Before anyone wants to call me salty or whatever it is these days......know that when I saw my club win AFL premierships....I did so knowing my team was the best without question. Not just for 1 year...no bullshit lottery/flash in the pan....but a decade long dominance.

If your a Bulldogs or Richmond supporter you should be elated at your teams recent success given how long you've had to wait.

But lets call a spade a spade yeah.

It's a different era now boys & girls.

The right of passage to the ultimate success used to be that you had to be a good side for a number of years or at the very least be the best team of the competition for a season. Now you've got teams winning premierships from 7th on the ladder......then missing the finals the following year......and now a side wins it from finishing 13th the year before.

Has our competition become a 1 in 8 lottery chance when the finals begin? If this trend continues.....premierships will be as worthy as junior sports participation awards in which every club soon enough will eventually get one.

Essendon, Melbourne, St Kilda gonna win the flag in 2018? Come on....

Before anyone wants to call me salty or whatever it is these days......know that when I saw my club win AFL premierships....I did so knowing my team was the best without question. Not just for 1 year...no bullshit lottery/flash in the pan....but a decade long dominance.

If your a Bulldogs or Richmond supporter you should be elated at your teams recent success given how long you've had to wait.

But lets call a spade a spade yeah.

The 90s weren't that different. The Bombers missed the finals in 92, won the flag with 13 wins in 93, then missed the finals again in 94.

Your main rival the Crows went 12th, Flag, Flag, 13th. Where's the decade long dominance there?

Your opponent in the 96 grand final finished 12th the year before, and was only good for 7th the year afterwards.

And your opponent in 99 finished 6th with 12 wins and got flogged in their first final. They also missed the finals the previous year.

Keep coping.

Back