Port Magpies teetering

Remove this Banner Ad

From all reports, Port Magpies are teetering on the edge of the financial abyss. Despite the club's efforts to strengthen its financial position, it seems it will need significant $ support from the SANFL to stay afloat.

Michelangelo Rucci reports on the club's position in today's tiser and suggests it could fold or reunify with the Port Adelaide Football Club (the Power). Substantial financial support from the SANFL does not seem to be a realistic option.

Ah Chee has retired, Perry has reportedly left, with Murray, Perkins and Meiklejohn rumoured to be heading to the exit door.

I also heard somewhere the figures of the coaches wages in the SANFL.

Andy Collins was the most paid with 100K a year, Roy Laird 80k, and Port in last position offering Bamford 19k a year, yup 19,000.

If someone had said 30 years ago, that the Port Adelaide Magpies would be teetering towards a financial death hole, he would've been laughed out of Adelaide. To think that the club which produced names which has gone imto SA and Australian Rules folklore such as Fos Williams, John Cahill & Russell Ebert is on the brink of folding and needs help from the SANFL is hard to believe.

If someone had said 30 years ago, that the Port Adelaide Magpies would be teetering towards a financial death hole, he would've been laughed out of Adelaide. To think that the club which produced names which has gone imto SA and Australian Rules folklore such as Fos Williams, John Cahill & Russell Ebert is on the brink of folding and needs help from the SANFL is hard to believe.

Not the same club.

Port Adelaide Magpies is only 12 years old

West Adelaide produced Williams, South produced Cahill, Norwood produced Bob McLean, and Ebert was going to play with North until the Roosters bungled the recruitment.

Not the same club.

Port Adelaide Magpies is only 12 years old
Really... they wear the same guernsey, share the same league records, have the same supporters, etc.
Yeah I know what you what you're gonna say, the original club went into the AFL. Well 99% of people out there see the AFL club as a new entity and it is in fact a separate business entity.

The SANFL club is the same organisation, just renamed slightly.

West Adelaide produced Williams, South produced Cahill, Norwood produced Bob McLean, and Ebert was going to play with North until the Roosters bungled the recruitment.

In what universe did South produce John Cahill, Adelaide Hawk? In his one season of U17s football at South in 1956, played while zoned to Port and without a clearance? I would have thought playing at Port from 1957-73, captain from 1967-73, coach from 1974-82 and 1988-98 (including inaugural Power coach 1997-98), and four PAFC best-and-fairests (1966, 68, 70 and 73) might carry a little more weight than that 1 season of U17s football at South.

Bob McLean joined Port in 1939 as a player, and went on to be Port Secretary/General Manager from 1949-1980. I'm doubtful of any administrative experience A R McLean gained in his five league seasons at Norwood prior to joining Port, but I don't think Norwood can claim much credit for him being the administrative powerhouse he became at Port and in South Australia.

Ebert was going to play for North. That doesn't even count as a straw you're clutching at. I may as well say Port produced Shaun Rehn by that criteria. :rolleyes:

That was actually the PAFC.

PAMFC have produced nothing, hope they die a painful death

Really... they wear the same guernsey, share the same league records, have the same supporters, etc.

... And Port Power Football Club isn't Port Adelaide!!!1111111

Perceptive you are...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I know what you what you're gonna say, the original club went into the AFL. Well 99% of people out there see the AFL club as a new entity and it is in fact a separate business entity.

The SANFL club is the same organisation, just renamed slightly.

99% or 15/16 clubs? I wouldnt say it if I did not believe it and the fact that the AFL recognises the fact that we were established in 1870 and not 1996 says something. I also believe that the Port Adelaide supporter living in Adelaide would have more of a clue than an Adelaide supporter living in QLD

From all reports, Port Magpies are teetering on the edge of the financial abyss. Despite the club's efforts to strengthen its financial position, it seems it will need significant $ support from the SANFL to stay afloat.

Michelangelo Rucci reports on the club's position in today's tiser and suggests it could fold or reunify with the Port Adelaide Football Club (the Power). Substantial financial support from the SANFL does not seem to be a realistic option.

Ah Chee has retired, Perry has reportedly left, with Murray, Perkins and Meiklejohn rumoured to be heading to the exit door.
Sorry where has Perry reportedly left to go to? Any chance of an AFL club showing an interest?

99% or 15/16 clubs? I wouldnt say it if I did not believe it and the fact that the AFL recognises the fact that we were established in 1870 and not 1996 says something. I also believe that the Port Adelaide supporter living in Adelaide would have more of a clue than an Adelaide supporter living in QLD

Supporters like you are the reason Port will always have a small supporter base.

The only long term option for the PAMFC is to become the Port Power Reserves team in the SANFL. Much the same as Collingwoods set-up in the VFL.

I am not sure the SANFL will allow this though and I can't see the Crows accepting this unless they could do it as well, then the remaining 8 SANFL clubs wouldn't agree.

The only long term option for the PAMFC is to become the Port Power Reserves team in the SANFL. Much the same as Collingwoods set-up in the VFL.

I am not sure the SANFL will allow this though and I can't see the Crows accepting this unless they could do it as well, then the remaining 8 SANFL clubs wouldn't agree.

A Port Adelaide Football Club and Adelaide Football Club presence in the SANFL would reinvigorate the league.

For all the huff'n'puff about the revitalisation of the league in recent years, the fact that 3 men, a dog, a walrus and half a cat with feline-AIDS rocked up to AAMI for the double-header finals games was ridiculous.

Imagine a Crows versus Central District or Port vs Crows SANFL Grand Final? Would be enormous!

I see your point DT but i'm just not sure it would work especially with the recruiting of players from SANFL.

I think they should allow Port to leave the comp simple as that, it would assist the Power with remaining Port fans moving to the Power (well I assume) and it wouldn't really effect the SANFL given Ports recent absence in the finals not impacting crowd numbers.

If giving Port the AFL licence was the right thing to do, allowing them to have only 1 entiy is also the right thing to do, at worst get a Port Magpies playing in the Ametuers or something.

The Port Magpies were simply to late to adopt the pub/pokies like most of the other SANFL clubs. That and the fact PAFC gets the takings from Alberton club rooms.

What I reckon needs to be done, is that the SANFL and Port Magpies go into a joint venture for a pub/gaming venue, with the Magpies having to pay back the SANFL over a prolonged time frame. And perhaps also a clause where by if the venue does well, the SANFL can sell their stake to the Magpies.

p.s I know they own the Prince of Wales, or whatever its called. But its obviously a s**t hole that doesn't make enough money.

wait so the SANFL not only bails the Power out it also bails the Magpies out :eek:

this after leaving all the SANFL clubs to themselves in the past :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back