Preview Port v Footscray, at Marvel – Round 23, 2021 (Friday, 7:20pm ACST)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Note: The post above is the original placeholder. The post below was originally posted on pg.3. It can still be found there (without the spoilers).

AFL, 2021 Season - R23

Port Adelaide v. Footscray
Marvel Stadium - Melbourne

MATCH THREAD PREVIEW

---

A concerned Port barracker from Australia reaches out GremioPower to see how he is doing with the Opening Post for Match Preview thread on the Port Board at BigFooty. Little did GP know, but the thread was already up with no OP whatsoever...

---

afl-preview-7-png.1209245

[Australian Stranger] GP, are you working on the match preview? Australia is practically one day ahead of you…

[GremioPower] I’m aware of that. I’m working on it right now, to be honest.

[AS] I'm telling you this because the thread is already up.

[GP] What do you mean by "the thread is already up?"

[AS] Precisely that. It has been up there since Sunday.

[GP] But I was still thinking about the Saturday game then. The mods really like to speed up things, don't they?

[AS] Yes, that's why I came to talk to you. I thought you might need a hand or two.

[GP] Thanks. I appreciate. I might need it, after all. Do you have anything in mind?

[AS] I do actually. I don't know if it will help you, but I would have some questions.

[GP] Great! I love questions. Shoot them!

1. HUMOUR?

[AS] You are good in self-deprecating humor. Can you do it this week? It seems we are good now!

[GP] It does, doesn’t it? Thank you for your kind words and for the great question! I believe that my OP last year was an exception. We were up and running in 2017, and I did a very humorous preview then.
In 2018 and in 2019, if we didn’t laugh, we would be crying. The approach was necessary.

[AS] So, are we going to see more humor again?

[GP] Maybe, but I’m thinking in doing something different.

[AS] What is that you’re thinking? I’m curious.

2. HINKLEY

[GP] You see… I’ve been very critical of Hinkley after the disaster of 2018. I wouldn’t change anything I have said; even those things that I’ve been wrong. Back then, those were my opinion, and I still believe that overall they were solid. Yet, this season we seem to have repeated what we have done in 2020 – in a different path, but with similar results. We may have found a good constancy. As head coach, Hinkley deserves some praise for that. I will probably write on this as well.

[AS] So you are pro-Hinkley, now…

[GP] No. I haven’t said that. I said he deserves praise. Besides, I want Port to be Premiers, which means I want Hinkley to be a premier coach. Still, not even a flag can change the fact that he shouldn’t be leading our squad. It’s possible to do the wrong things and get the right results. It doesn’t mean you were right. It just means you were lucky.

[AS] Lucky is good.

[GP] Indeed, it is! Lucky would be good enough for me. Do not get me wrong. A flag is not less of a flag because you won it through luck. Even doing the right things, luck is still necessary. One just needs less of it, which is desirable.

3. MINOR PREMIERSHIP

[AS] Does it concern you that we seem unable to beat Top-4 sides?

[GP] Of course, it does. It’s impossible to win a flag without beating Top-4 sides.

[AS] Don't you believe we have a shot at all?

[GP] Mate, we are fighting to be back-to-back Minor premiers.

[AS] That’s a good point to bring it up. There has been some controversy on this.

[GP] True. To be honest, it is a weird controversy, since it doesn’t depend solely on us. We need to beat the Dogs for a Top-2 spot, and beating them is necessary for us to to have some shot at the Minor Premiership.
4. (NOT) BEATING THE BEST

[AS] And we would have beaten a Top-4 to get it.

[GP] Not so fast.

[AS] What do you mean?

[GP] There’s a good chance that, if we win, the Dogs fall out of the Top-4. So, in a very Port fashion, if we lose, we would have lost to another Top-4 side; but, if we win, we wouldn’t have won against a Top-4 side.

[AS] Unbelievable!

[GP] Yet, it’s true. But, no worries, we can see things from other perspectives. First of all, it is difficult to beat Top-4 sides for everybody; including Top-4 sides. This season, it’s even harder, because there seems to be a Top-6. They are all grouped together.

[AS] And are we better against the Top-6 than the Top-4?

[GP] Errr… No! We are not. Port still has the worst record considering only the matches against those clubs.

[AS] (F**k me dead…)

[GP] Ports, mate…

[AS] Hahaha! Yes, yes… Ports! We should be used to it by now.

[GP] Hard, isn’t it? The things we do for love…

[AS] Hahahaha! Ok. I’m still curious about the OP. Tell me, if things don’t improve with the Top-6, why have you mentioned it? I hope you will explain this.

[GP] Oh, I will. It does improve. It actually may not be as bad as it sounds.

[AS] How?

[GP] The ladder is closer in the second half of the season than in the first. Lions and Cats have improved, but so did we. There are two games to be played, and one is ours – against the Dogs, who seem to have been struggling recently. Moreover, the Demons already “won" this “league,” but after a 5-0 start, they may end losing their last 2.

[AS] And, in the match preview, you are going to explain what this all means…

5. GOOD ENOUGH

[GP] Mate… In brief, it means that the flag might be wide open – even for us. The 2021 Finals may be a bigger crapshoot than last year’s. The odds were good even before covid decided to star a sequel in Australia.

[AS] The pandemic! It has certainly makes things tough, but also interesting, isn’t it. Are you going to write about it as well?

[GP] I can talk about the pandemic in the thread, or in PM. Being from Brazil, I’ve gotten some experience on the subject. However, this is about footy. The point on covid is that it has added unpredictability in an already unpredictable game. That may favor us. Again, I don’t trust Port in STP. Hence, change might be good. Again, we will need all the luck we might possibly get.

[AS] Aren’t we good enough?

[GP] We are. We wouldn’t be leading the ladder for the second half of the season if we weren’t. The issue is that it’s going to be close. Everybody will need luck. We will probably need more luck than the other clubs.

[AS] Why is that?

[GP] We are good enough, but that’s it. We aren’t better than that. We might have improved, but we still struggle against the best sides. Our list seems to be healthy at the right time, but our gameplay have issues. So, I am glad that we are definitely in the mix, but I’m not confident that we may win it all.

[AS] I understand. Aren't you going to talk at all about the game?

6. THOSE COWARD DOGS!

[GP] Is there a game to play? I have totally forgotten about it! I usually don’t talk about it. Is it going to be in Ballarat?

[AS] No. At Marvel.

[GP] Those Dogs are a bunch of cowards, aren’t they?

[AS] Yes, but I don’t know why you are saying this specifically.

[GP] Did you know that they would have a perfect record at Mars, if not for Port? Then, what do they do? They stop inviting us to play there! That’s FEAR!

[AS] Totally!

[GP] Can you imagine if we would act similarly? We would practically stop playing at Adelaide Oval. You can’t do that… But, they will see. It’s going to blow up on their faces. We are unbeaten in the Docklands this season!

[AS] They can run, but they can’t hide!

[GP] Exactly! We have let them play against us at Adelaide Oval, the least they could do to retribute was hosting us on a ground we play well. Mars would be better, but Marvel will do fine.

7. EAGLES & TIGERS

[AS] Will you write a “Last Time We Met” section?

[GP] I usually do mention a couple of things for perspective. For instance, I could tell people about the R9 match. There has been quite some time after Round 9, though. Back then, just so you can see how far it has been, Eagles and Tigers were in contention for Finals!

[AS] What?!

[GP] Can you believe it?

[AS] Richmond and West Coast were fighting for spots in the Finals!?

[GP] Yes!

[AS] You are inventing things now.

[GP] No. I’m serious! They were both in the 8, and they weren’t far behind of the Top-4 teams. Eagles were actually tied for 4th; only 7th on %. And they both won their R9 games. The Eagles ended that round tied for THIRD!

[AS] My Lord Geezis Kroyst! It feels like a journey through ages…

[GP] Yep. I felt like an archeologist while collecting the data. Those two basket cases thought they had a chance…

[AS] Hahahaha!

[GP] I will probably not mention that, though. It will deviate from the main subject of the OP.

[AS] I think you should...

8. LAST TIME WE MET

[GP] I know! Ok. I will try to put it there somewhere. On our previous game against the Dogs, I am only going to say a few things, like: it was a clash of 2v3 (now, it’s 3v4); they were 1 win ahead of us on the ladder; and they have beaten us quite comfortably (12.5:77 - 15.6:96).

[AS] Just that?

[GP] Well, the game started equal, but they ran us over in the second part of Q1; we reacted in Q2, but they dominated 2/3 of Q3 to put the game away from us for good. The stats don’t show any sign of their dominance, but for disposals, marks, and EI50%.

[AS] Why would that be? Any idea?

[GP] No clue. Would it be because they’ve dominated only 35 minutes of an 120' game? I don’t know. I hope people may be able to comment explaining it. The score seemed to have flattered us that night.

[AS] But people would like to know your opinion on our line-up, the Dogs’…

[GP] What could I say? The Quadrangle of Doom was in the line-up, but we didn’t have Lycett. Hence, it doesn’t count. Houston, Butters, and Duursma were also out. Farrell and Hartlett were in. Our side seems to be stronger now. I cannot comment on the Dogs. I could also say that, after the R9 match, they remained in 2nd, while we dropped off of the Top-4. Since then, however, their record is 7-5; while ours is 10-2. I don’t think I have anything else to add.

[AS] It looks that you have enough for the OP, already.

[GP] I hope so. Thanks for helping.

[AS] My pleasure.

Last edited:

The final that isn't a final that decides which of the teams in the final that is a final play at their home ground, subject to lockdowns, brainfarts and whatever.

Do we rest anyone?
Is there a bye the week after?
When will the decision be made on the bye?
When will the decision be made on the game time?
Will it be shown live or on delay?
Seeing the dogs are currently below us, will vicmedia have to come up with a different story on who we can and can't beat?
Why are the dogs still considered more likely to win the premiership?
Who in their right mind thinks its better to play this game in a state in lockdown at a venue with no crowd?

shame we are more than likely going to play before the geelong Melb game..... could have almost picked our first opponent. who do we want to play first up? id take geelong on first, then we dont have to play them again till potentially a GF

Put this in the changes thread but more relevant here. Just speculating on the odds that the 20-8 free kick count in our favour last week is repeated.

Dogs have come back to earth a little lately as their free differential falls. So much of their game plan relies on getting a heap of the ball cheaply.

Well, here it is. The real season starts now.

We need to win to avoid a final at GMBH (Geelong’s Muddy Boggy Hellhole) stadium. Amazingly, the Bullies could slip out of the 4 if they lose so they will be 100% fair dinkum.

We know it’s Friday Night. We think it’s at Marvel where we have got our eye in. God forbid we have to go to Ballarat. We could go the tall forward line again, if it’s Marvel- but we will want Motlop to have a run because- despite what many here think- he is best 22. So will Dixon or Georgiades get rested? Or maybe the obvious is to rest Lycett. The last option, given they won’t have a tall forward line, is drop Clurey for Motlop and play Bergman further back. Bergman has given us so much flexibility.

Clarkson has given us a blueprint on how to beat them as he tries to destroy Hawthorn’s draft picks and make it as hard as he can for Mitchell to take over. The “secret” is win in the clearances and keep the ball off them- hell, if an undermanned Hawthorn can do it…

They are missing pillars at both ends so especially indoors, there is a chance to exploit their lack of quality tall players.

This season has a bit of the 2007 feel to it. We all know we have played only B and C grade footy all year, have not beaten a team that will finish in the top 5 (yet) and yet, if we win, we will finish top 2. It would be the least deserved top 2 finish since….2007.

Not that I am for a moment comparing this side to 2007. This is a team on the rise. 2007 was the fall of an empire. In reality, last year was a break out year and at least we have consolidated the progress we made last year. We know we have to flick a switch if we want to win finals (and make no mistake, this week is a final), but at least we know that we have a switch.

They actually have more to play for and play Marvel very well. Their midfield won’t be as bad as last week again. They will rightly start favourites. Making a David Teague snuff movie in front of 15,000 spectators has as much relevance already as a preseason game.

Logically, WB by about 3 goals unless Ken finds that f***ing switch- hey Ken, it’s right there behind Butters. Flick it.

Losing Bruce was a huge blow for the Dogs - not just this week, but for the rest of the year. So Naughton is very important to their chances: if we can control him, it won't guarantee victory, but it'll help enormously.

Another thing of paramount importance is Port's goal kicking - in a game as important as this, it could prove to be the difference between success and failure.

Bulldogs by 10.

Goals.

We've done very well against Marvel tenants this year, which is not usually our game. The question is thus do we turn up? Double chance sewn up, most likely no Melbourne finals.

I feel we will get smashed as we barely withstood the depleted carlton side this week. Another goal or two from the blues and it would have been difficult to withstand the pressure on the scoreboard.

We should also rest dixon if there is no bye coming up.

We need to think about winning a flag and having the best team available fighting fit in September.

Is Jones back on the park?

I’m surprisingly confident going into this game. Our better players who have returned from LTIs over the past month, have got through another week & will only improve going forward.

Dare I say it, but Bonner is giving us much needed drive of the HB line with his link up play & penetrating kick. Not the best 1v1 defender, but as long as he’s not isolated down back we should be able to negate that weakness.

Wines & Drew however, are the bigs one for me. Get an excellent month of contested footy out of this duo, that enables us to at least break even in centre clearances, then we’re in this Premiership race up to our eyeballs.

Will this game be Friday night? don't we have to fly out straight after the game? Thought we wouldn't be allowed to stay overnight in melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel we will get smashed as we barely withstood the depleted carlton side this week. Another goal or two from the blues and it would have been difficult to withstand the pressure on the scoreboard.

We should also rest dixon if there is no bye coming up.

We need to think about winning a flag and having the best team available fighting fit in September.

Is Jones back on the park?
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

No. To all of this.

Stop these guys:
Daniel
Liberatore
Naughton
Bontempelli (obviously)

We win.
Who we got to do these jobs?

We seriously have to start better this week. Yes we can get away with slow starts playing rubbish teams like Carlton but if we start like that against the Dogs they will be 8 goals up before you can say pass me another Coke.

Making a David Teague snuff movie in front of 15,000 spectators has as much relevance already as a preseason game.

Bingo. Last round of 2017 the Gold Coast Suns were eviscerated by 115 points. They only scored 1.1 after quarter time. Everyone played well and looked primed to hit September like a horny tram.

A quarter and a half later we’re 31 points down at home to a painfully mediocre West Coast.

This week will be like playing a different sport to last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back