Training Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

remains to be seen who the STAND rule will benefit most, depends on game style, at this stage I say the Cats since
they lead the mark average (2020)
What a surprise Hocking creates another rule that benefits Geesook!

Obviously went to Scotty after we embarrassed them in the GF and asked what he needed to change to make sure that doesn't happen again.

What a surprise Hocking creates another rule that benefits Geesook!

Obviously went to Scotty after we embarrassed them in the GF and asked what he needed to change to make sure that doesn't happen again.
silver lining is....in finals, Marks drop away due to dialed up pressure (i'm guessing)
(red means they've gone down from their year average)

GF: (almost universally red)
(click on Tackles...mostly green ->pressure, hefty increase with Bolton and Short)

PF:

SF:

http://dream-stats.com/match/report/post/20/2/stats/mark (the odd one out where Cats THRASHED Pies)

QF:

EF:

Last edited:
Whats stopping the player taking the kick running towards to man on the mark lets say within 3mtrs.
The man on the mark can't do anything but stay where he is.Kicker sprints to the left or right and by the time the ump calls play on the kicker would've past gaining an extra 5-10mtrs.
50 out becomes 40.
Imagine the uproar if the man on the mark flinches before being called play on.Instant 50.
What a joke of a rule.Will be exploited.
Hope we're the first to exploit in rnd 1.

Whats stopping the player taking the kick running towards to man on the mark lets say within 3mtrs.
The man on the mark can't do anything but stay where he is.Kicker sprints to the left or right and by the time the ump calls play on the kicker would've past gaining an extra 5-10mtrs.
50 out becomes 40.
Imagine the uproar if the man on the mark flinches before being called play on.Instant 50.
that's why I don't think it's all doom and gloom, those who dodge and weave, shake and bake alot like George, Bolton, Rioli
might be licking their lips...

that's why I don't think it's all doom and gloom, those who dodge and weave, shake and bake alot like George, Bolton, Rioli
might be licking their lips...
Thats all well an good but apart from that they can't do jack s**t.
They might as well have kids with cones who place a cone where the mark is.

50 out becomes 40.

I guess defensive players can be be stationed behind the man on the mark, but that leaves you more vulnerable in deeper positions. You would imagine this rule would really disadvantage a team like us who gives away loads of frees and doesn’t mark the ball a lot. And massively advantages a team like Geelong who do try to retain possession and stage for frees wherever they can. So it has all the hallmarks of the Cats having the rule made to their order through their old boy Hocking. I am not sure I can recall a precedent to this and it will rightly be a talking point all season unless the umps start to naturally relax the interpretation over time.

Exactly. Why can't players defend !?
It's a skill like any other. Of course the afl and Ch7 need goals goals goals to stuff those ads in. Ironically scoring is worse than ever. 30 goals from a key forward is now seen as a successful year. Leave the bloody game alone.
TV broadcasts of games have 50 minutes of talk beforehand. Plus it's back to 20 minute quarters. That's more time to play ads.
This rule change may change the style of play until the ball has to be kicked into the 50 and then there will be a 44 players flooding.
I think Richmond scores a lot of goals from deep in the defence 50.
All the rule changes so far have concided with us winning flags. I actually think they bring on rule changes knowing that people understand what they watch less and less. But the AFL has a addicted market that will attend or view games. The constant rules change confusion breeds more tv
and radio and social media discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats will s**t the bed against us in the finals after half time again, more chip and mark my arse

they wont be able to handle our pressure after they blow their loads in the first quarter. quarters are back to 20 min, we will always run over the top with our elite fitness. only injuries and gastro can stop us from 3 peating

So a player who is on the mark, can't leave. For example what if a player loses a 1v1 marking contest in defence, is he immediately stuck in that one place. What if the attacking team has an extra player alone forward of the play, is the player manning the mark not allowed to leave the mark and run back?

So a player who is on the mark, can't leave. For example what if a player loses a 1v1 marking contest in defence, is he immediately stuck in that one place. What if the attacking team has an extra player alone forward of the play, is the player manning the mark not allowed to leave the mark and run back?
we will find out rd 1 when they guinea pig us again

According to the rule no other player can come in and take the mark.
Imagine Caleb Daniel being forced to go to Lynch after Kieth being caught on the mark. o_O

I think you can concede there's noone on the mark, Dees have been trying this tactic.

I think you can concede there's noone on the mark, Dees have been trying this tactic.

Yeah if you sneak upto near the mark you should be able to avoid the umpire telling you to "stand"

ffs what a silly rule. Like the 3rd man up rule. Not needed. Just pay holding/dropping the ball frees and you'll eliminate alot of stoppage rugby style scrimmages we get atm. Making an attempt and then throwing/dropping the ball is a free kick. Just effing pay it.

That's right.

It will lead to a few easy goals. But I suspect it won't make a huge difference. The assumption that there are many easy kicks that will make the game 'better' that don't happen because the guy on the mark can move a bit is stupid, IMHO. At least, if they adjudicate it clearly, it will be easy for the players to adapt to. Some of the other new rules make no sense or are totally up to interpretation.

Just adjudicate things like holding the ball properly and it will fix a lot up. Best of all stick with the rules for several years. No changes. the changes themselves make things worse.

That's right.

It will lead to a few easy goals. But I suspect it won't make a huge difference. The assumption that there are many easy kicks that will make the game 'better' that don't happen because the guy on the mark can move a bit is stupid, IMHO. At least, if they adjudicate it clearly, it will be easy for the players to adapt to. Some of the other new rules make no sense or are totally up to interpretation.

Just adjudicate things like holding the ball properly and it will fix a lot up. Best of all stick with the rules for several years. No changes. the changes themselves make things worse.
Yeah hopefully it doesn't make a huge difference. It just seems unnecessary to make the rule so strict.

Yeah but what if it is a one v one. So player takes the mark and the other player is immediately on the mark so he doesn't have a chance to then leave the area. Then he is stuck there and can't run back if needed. Seems like overkill to me, if true.

Yeah but what if it is a one v one. So player takes the mark and the other player is immediately on the mark so he doesn't have a chance to then leave the area. Then he is stuck there and can't run back if needed. Seems like overkill to me, if true.

The strictness is the point. The AFL rules mob have lots of theories about what will make the game 'better'. They then change the rules based on their theories. So you get 666 etc. Now it's man on the mark. Every time they are proven wrong, or simply the players work out ways around it.

in this case they reckon teams will move the ball faster and more cleanly if the guy on the mark can't move. There are a lot of things to unpack in that thought.
- yep, it makes it easier for the player with the ball to move it on
- it assumes that the player on the mark somehow affects how the other team positions itself for ball movement. i.e. if there is no one ahead of the ball free then nailing the guy on the mark to the ground won't make any difference to forward ball movement. Or, put another way, the man on the mark by moving cuts off about 5 degrees of potential ball movement either side. that is still almost dead ahead. So this rule seems to almost assume that team regularly have someone free dead ahead of the ball. If that's not true then the man on the mark has little effect by moving a bit.
- It assumes that by keeping a player on the mark instead of the mark rotating to someone else this leads to ..... goals. Sometimes it will lead to mismatches. But almost always direct opponents are where the contest happens. It will make a small difference, but teams should adapt fairly easily.
- And lastly in my non-exhaustive unpacking of the 'thinking' behind this rule change, how much latitude does the ball carrier have to move. Right now they get 2 or 3 steps. So quite often they are not where the free/mark was set. I guess they intend umpires to allow the ball carrier to move freely and the guy on the mark to be still so that ball movement is easier. What this may allow is players like Dan Rioli, Shai, george etc freedom to take the man on and break lines. Could be exciting, but also risky.

I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to different outcomes than the AFL thinks - like usual. I used lots of 'Words' because I reckon they rarely question their own brilliance and are always surprised when their changes don't work as intended. Bunch of arsehats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back