Private Health Insurance

Remove this Banner Ad

bunsen burner said:
PHI is a must.

I've had a few illnesses and operations - most not covered by PHI so was very skeptical about it's usefulness. I had a good look into it and discovered that it's pretty much essential. Get a few illnesses or accidents and the fees are astronomical.

I don't like paying it and thankfully haven't got my money's worth yet - but that's only a car crash away.

No they aren't, if you only have medicare it costs nothing. I have to have MRI's every year & costs me zilch, when I had to go to hospital after being bitten by a dog & needed stitches, cost me zilch.

In fact, my boss complains that he has private & still most times has to pay extra that the fund doesn't cover.

i don't have it
1)emergency i'd be in the public system

2) i put the money in an investment account ( so i get all the interest) & pay direct if i need anything elective.
as far as i can tell also means i get charged less when i tell them i don't have PHI - like any other service - tell them it's an insurance job & you get charged more

I don't have it mainly because I travel a lot and international cover is expensive. If anyone has good info on PHI with international coverage please PM me or post it here. I've actually travelled a few times without health insurance.

I've only had my nose broken twice, once I didn't have it reset because there was too much swelling, the second time through the public system. I was expecting to have to pay $500+ for it (based on my wisdom teeth extraction) but didn't pay a dollar!

utility said:
If anyone has good info on PHI with international coverage please PM me or post it here.

I travel a fair bit too and am with Bupa (out of UK) through my work - www.bupa-intl.com - widely recognised as the best on this planet for full international cover. I'm not sure what it costs, but I dont believe it's cheap.

Leper said:
I travel a fair bit too and am with Bupa (out of UK) through my work - www.bupa-intl.com - widely recognised as the best on this planet for full international cover. I'm not sure what it costs, but I dont believe it's cheap.
Not cheap. The three plans would cost me either 650, 950 or 1150 POUNDS a year. That's too much to pay for one person, maybe for family cover but not for one person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back