Game Day R10 2024: Euro-Yroke v Walyalup (The Ross Lyon Cup)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrett's so carried away with his own self importance, he loves a bit of shallow puffery and no place more than in that ridiculous column. To be avoided.

What does he mean by "conservative ways"? You'd presume ball movement. Has he even been looking at their ball movement lately (rhetorical question).
Wasn't something nuts like 9 end-to-end transitions last week that ended in a shot at goal?

That's normally enough to win you games.

Wasn't something nuts like 9 end-to-end transitions last week that ended in a shot at goal?

That's normally enough to win you games.
On the flipside of that, Sydney was not shy of doing a bit of "conservative" sideways kicking and possessing the ball across the half back line.

If anything there were times where we could've eased back the throttle a little on our ball movement and picked an option on the centre-side of half forward to get more surgical entry to the F50, instead of rashly rushing it in with "flair" and turning it over.

I never really feel confident and game day anything can happen but on paper our midfield is in a completely different league than theirs. We should be able to give our forwards plenty of opportunity to get it done. As long as we don't kick for goal like we did vs Sydney we should be fine....should be.

Pumped for this one! Big win to get us on track for the next few.

We won't have a repeat of last week. Last weeks game is decided within two goals either way 90% of the time.

Enjoy the ride!

Absolutely. People with unrealistic expectations saying he's having a poor year aren't watching objectively. Still a ways to go before even close to maturing physically.

On SM-A536E using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s possible for both things to be true. He’s immature physically AND he’s having a poor year.

He made it look easy at times in his first but now he’s getting the best defender & copping it physically he’s down on confidence, his set shots have disintegrated & his timing is off.

I’m sure he’ll be back, bigger & better in time but I don’t think anyone could objectively say he’s playing as well as he did last year.

If he was nailing his shots then he would have similar output to last year imo

Gotta remember he has missed 2 games (one being the one he was knocked out in first 5 mins)

Would like him to get his accuracy up again

Edit: just a quick stat line showing he is pretty similar

Excluding the KO game he's going at 1.7 goals and 1.3 behinds per game, other stats are similar

2023 he was 1.9 and 0.8, so accuracy is the difference right now, other stats are quite similar (some favouring this year and some favouring ly)

Remember I am calculating these with the KO game removed as that shouldn't really weigh down his averages

Dow in for his first game for St Kilda. Pick 3 behind Brayshaw in the same draft. Quite possibly one of our midfielders (Serong/Brayshaw) is going to be put on a tag, if not by Dow, maybe Windhager.

Their forward line looks quite potent with a lot of variety. King, Caminiti and Sharman will use up the height we have in Pearce, Draper and Ryan (or maybe Chapman) - so there'll be no spare zoning off intercept, but then Owens and Phillipou are also tall and strong in the air and there's also Wood dropping down from the wing as a marking option when he drifts inside 50m as he did last time we played them.

I feel like the teams are pretty even. I favour our midfield slightly to get it inside 50m enough times but have doubts that can we kick enough of a score if it's only left up to our forwards - and the Amiss, Voss and Treacy combo is still new. Feel like Jackson would be more of a threat as one of the 3 keys inside 50m, so I'm not against a late change and Reidy being given a start ahead of Voss - but that also becomes another unknown that we're taking into a game. Reidy vs Marshall - yeah, most likely Marshall dominates.

Only thing I can see that might benefit us is that we got put under extreme pressure by Sydney last week, so there should be no shock effect of getting ambushed by a Saints side hungry for a win and their coach under a bit of media scrutiny.

Reidy doesn’t need to mark or have goals. He just needs to be the foil for Treacy. End of.
Amiss is struggling whenever Treacy goes in the ruck.

Voss is still so raw, and people expect such big games from him.

My concern is the underrated Wilkie. Guy is a beast for St Kilda. Howard is also a strong one on one defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he should spend his time learning to kick goals instead of remembering 20 ******* handshakes!
They were doing goal kicking practice as well.

To me this is a positive thing. Team are still connected, positive, having fun after a hell of a week.

Hopefully they come out and play with fun and freedom.

If he was nailing his shots then he would have similar output to last year imo

Gotta remember he has missed 2 games (one being the one he was knocked out in first 5 mins)

Would like him to get his accuracy up again

Edit: just a quick stat line showing he is pretty similar

Excluding the KO game he's going at 1.7 goals and 1.3 behinds per game, other stats are similar

2023 he was 1.9 and 0.8, so accuracy is the difference right now, other stats are quite similar (some favouring this year and some favouring ly)

Remember I am calculating these with the KO game removed as that shouldn't really weigh down his averages
I remember Serong had a break out year in his first season with us, then went quiet the following year. Look at him now! Amiss is almost as young as H Reid.

They were doing goal kicking practice as well.

To me this is a positive thing. Team are still connected, positive, having fun after a hell of a week.

Hopefully they come out and play with fun and freedom.
they only shared it with us because it was entertaining and to let us see the boys have a positive mindset, especially after the trauma they endured a week ago

I agree with you

One minor detailed I noticed when checking out our team that played against St Kilda last season in Rd 1, is that this game will be the first time Ross Lyon will be coaching when Michael Walters is an opposition player.

Maybe he should spend his time learning to kick goals instead of remembering 20 ******* handshakes!

Alex Pearce should get a haircut and get rid of that nose piercing while we’re at it!!!!!

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Never go full nuff.

I was half joking! But seriously if we want to stop being a bottom 8 team a lot of guys through our midfield and forward line need more class in front of goals. Class comes from natural talent and learned skills, one of those you cant change the other you can.

:shrug:

Last edited:
I know we’ve been inconsistent this year but if we beat saints this week we have won 6 games against teams we lost to last year and the only game we’ve dropped so far against a team we beat is the eagles feel like we are tracking nicely even tho it doesn’t feel like we are sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back